PDA

View Full Version : Am I too soft or getting greedy

munch149
13-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Basically have a child starting nursery in september and originally had no intention of charging a retainer for time child is in nursery. How many people do this and are parents ok with it generally. Problem is she only does til half one on a Friday Now so when starting nursery I'm guessing they will want me for 11.30-1.30 not really worth it and losing whole days potential pay. My partner said don't charge them more as you potentially could lose more if you upset them and to some extent I understand that but feel like I'm being too soft and not being very business minded. What do other people do?

Am I being do soft or getting greedy?

Thanks

JulieA
13-07-2011, 08:04 AM
For me it would depend on whether I was expected to pick them up from nursery early if anything were to happen - either ill or not enough staff or something - or if nursery place was term time only and so I was expected to have in holidays. If this was the case then I would charge whilst child was at nursery. Also if I was taking to nursery and collecting I would charge for nursery time.

However, if I was only picking up from nursery and not having in holidays then I would charge from the time I collected.

Having said that I know a lot of childminders do charge for this.

rickysmiths
13-07-2011, 08:08 AM
For a child I have had full time who goes to Nursery or Pre school and I have them before and after, so I take them and pick them up i continue to charge full fee. I have never had a problem with this.

kel1983
13-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I have a lo who goes to nursery every afternoon.

Mum works different days and times each week. Some days it will be 8.45 - 12.45 and some days it will be 3.45-5.45 and this is for usually only 2 or 3 days a week, so I have it down that he takes up a space every day.

I know I should charge a retainer but I am too soft and I know its potentially taking up a full time space but again I'm too soft.

The mum is expecting in October so I will be losing him then anyway. I dont want to lose him. He is lovely. Alright we have bad days but this is usually because he is tired.

I think if I was to do it again I would ask for a a retainer. I can see i'm losing a lot of money because of this.

munch149
13-07-2011, 08:39 AM
The worst problem is the time it is. If it were early morning or late afternoon I could fill space but being smack bang in the middle of the day I think I would struggle to find someone else to fill space plus Im pretty sure they will want me in the holidays. I wouldnt pick up Ill children tho.

Goatgirl
13-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi :),
If you don't want to ask for a retainer, how about charging a minimum amount, equivalent to a certain number of hours per day regardless of the hours needed? Are they term time only? or do they want school holidays too? If they wanted longer hours in hols, I'd be inclined to charge a retainer for those hours during term time, explaining you are unlikely to be able to sell the unused hours around those needed to another child, term time only :thumbsup:

Have a chat and see if you can find out what they're expecting, drop a hint or two that you'll have to re - jig fees as it will become a part used space which you'll have difficulty 'selling'. If they do want hols, they're basicall asking you to keep a full time space for part time hours. They may just need this this gently pointed out to them in a way they can understand :)

good luck, hope it works out well for you all :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

blue bear
13-07-2011, 03:11 PM
If this was a new child would you take it in smack bang in the middle of the day?

Look at it ad if it was a new child you might

A) charge for hours used

B) charge fir a minimum hours you would be willing to be paid to keep whole days place open

C) charge from start of nursery day until child goes home

Once you have worked out what you can afford as a minimum to keep the whole says place open( presuming they want holidays) then talk to patent about what you are willing to offer as a compromise.

mummyMia
13-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I haven't had this situtation yet but if I did I would have to charge. I would rather lose the child than not charge. I only have 1 under 5 space and don't really want to take on schoolies as my own children are still little. So for me it wouldn't be worth childminding if I wasn't being paid for the full day. If my children were older and I had 3 under 5 spaces and wasn't looking to fill all of them full time anyway then I might not charge.

Mrs Pootle
13-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I charge a set fee and if they don't use all the hours that's up to them. Nursery pickup is 11.30 and I charge until 5pm. I have one parent who happily pays this, and another full-timer due to start nursery in Sept who has given notice today as she doesn't want to pay set fee as only wants care until 3pm.
As someone else pointed out, these hours are in the middle of the day so difficult to get someone for a couple of hours before or after to make up your money.

Even though I've been given notice, I will still continue to charge in this way as I can't afford to take a child for 4 hours in the middle of the day and turn away other customers.

miffy
13-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I charge when they're in playgroup or nursery - you only have a limited number of places and you need to earn a living from that plus it's parent's choice to put them in nursery/playgroup.

Miffy xx

carol cameron
14-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I have always charged full fee if parents choose to send their child to nursery. This was recommended by NCMA when I first started childminding in 1997 and every parent has accepted this.
To be truthful, they would have been advised to look elsewhere for childcare if they hadn't :)

appleblossom
14-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I charge for the full day if they need the place when nursery is closed for any reason. Our pre school (and school) seems to shut an awful lot. Last winter there were snow days, boiler breaking down, power cuts; as well as the usual holidays, INSET days and so on. The parents would be really stuck if they couldn't use the space on all those occasions.

mindingmummy
29-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I charge half fee while the child I care for is at pre-school. This is due to me tking him there and picking up afterwards. I also have him during the term holidays so need to keep the space open for him.

If I was only collecting afterwards I would only charge from the time i collect - unless they wanted me to save the space for school holidays.

I do know minders who charge full fee even when the child is at pre-school/nursery however I try to be business minded and parent minded at the same time so meet half way. :)