PDA

View Full Version : Cold callers

jelly15
13-07-2011, 07:38 AM
After reading a thread on another forum, I was wondering do any of you have many cold callers and do any of you have signs on your front doors discouraging them? If you do have a sign what does it say?

cherry
13-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I had nine cold callers on the phone last week in one day :angry:

rickysmiths
13-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I had nine cold callers on the phone last week in one day :angry:

Ask them where they got your number and ask to be removed from their Data Base.

Oh Cherry sign up to the Telephone Preference Service. We don't get any cold callers on the phone anymore.

If you sign up to the Postal Preference Service you can stop junk mail as well.

emmadines
13-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Ask them where they got your number and ask to be removed from their Data Base.

Oh Cherry sign up to the Telephone Preference Service. We don't get any cold callers on the phone anymore.

If you sign up to the Postal Preference Service you can stop junk mail as well.

we have signed with the tps and we still get calls, as with door knockers, i stick my head out the window when i have kids here!

Mouse
13-07-2011, 08:22 AM
We get a few cold callers at the door here. I live on a long road & they just start at one end and work ther way along :rolleyes:

I'm always polite, tell them I'm not interested in whatever they want to talk about and that I don't discuss personal details on my doorstep with complete strangers. If they're still persistant, I shut the door on them :blush:

Greengrass74
13-07-2011, 08:35 AM
here are a couple of good links regarding Cold Callers. The first one has a sign you can download.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Situationsthatcanchangeyourconsumerrights/DG_194562

phoebe-alice
13-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I can't even tell mine to stop as I get a robot who only says goodbye, even on the answer machine! It is so annoying as it happens a few times a day and we have no idea how to stop it as the number doesn't even to come up after 1471ing it. I can understand people trying to sell you stuff you don't need but a robot that just says bye, that's batty. :rolleyes: Fingers crossed it will just give up eventually.

pinky33
13-07-2011, 09:22 AM
We have the same robot as you!

grindal
13-07-2011, 09:50 AM
You can usually spot them a mile off. With the phone there is often a pause before they speak, and the ones who come to the door just get me poking my head around the door. I never bother to listen to them, just say - No Thanks, far too busy and close the door on them.

When DH first moved into my flat he was quite shocked - but is now far ruder than I am!!

Mookins
13-07-2011, 11:35 AM
i peek through the peehole or window and if its someone idont know i turn up the nursery rhymes and carry on regardless lol
if its important they wiil leave a message

phone calls al parents know if they need me to ring and hang up and i will ring back:clapping:
and my family text lol

xx

Mamma4Ya
13-07-2011, 11:53 AM
we have signed with the tps and we still get calls, as with door knockers, i stick my head out the window when i have kids here!

Same here but as soon as I mention they should not be contacting me they put the phone down. :laughing:

rickysmiths
13-07-2011, 11:55 AM
You can usually spot them a mile off. With the phone there is often a pause before they speak, and the ones who come to the door just get me poking my head around the door. I never bother to listen to them, just say - No Thanks, far too busy and close the door on them.

When DH first moved into my flat he was quite shocked - but is now far ruder than I am!!

I'm the same as you. Had to girls knock on the door a couple of weeks ago and sent them packing about 3pm. They came back again at 7.30pm :eek: They got a very short response then :laughing: :laughing:

linda2girls
13-07-2011, 11:58 AM
This is my sign for the door:-

STOP
BEFORE YOU KNOCK!

We do not discuss the following:

Our Utilities
Religion
Politics
Home Improvements
etc.

We do not purchase items at the door
We do not take part in surveys

Thank you for your
understanding.

Greengrass74
13-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Just mention the word HARASSMENT and you will find that this usually does the trick. :thumbsup:

If that doesn't work mention trading standards, as people that knock on your door or ring you can be prosecuted by TS if they feel that they are harassing you or being a nuisance.

Tealady
13-07-2011, 12:07 PM
How funny I was going to post something similar!

Our drive really shabby so we get loads of Cold callers!

We had a sign from Thames Valley Police stuck by our doorbell saying we don't but or sell at the door. Still had loads of people ringing especially as they try and make you think they aren't actually selling anything.

We now have one from Oxfordshire CC stating "NO COLD CALLERS. It's an offence to ring this door. Please go away and do not return" We get fewer but still some call. Especially dodgy looking people in pick up trucks offering to tarmac our drive!

I've taken to not answering unless I'm expecting somebody. However I always then worry afterwards that it might be Ofsted or Environmental Health and I'll be in trouble

Tealady
13-07-2011, 12:08 PM
This is my sign for the door:-

STOP
BEFORE YOU KNOCK!

We do not discuss the following:

Our Utilities
Religion
Politics
Home Improvements
etc.

We do not purchase items at the door
We do not take part in surveys

Thank you for your
understanding.

Does it Work?

Chimps Childminding
13-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I am also registered with TPS and still get calls :angry: Got a phone call at 8.02 am Monday morning (unexpected day off so not impressed) from some lady at the National Research Centre in Switzerland wanting me to do a survey!! Told her (non too politely :blush: ) that I wasn't interested at that time in the morning :angry:

onceinabluemoon
13-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I used to have a sign that read:

CALLERS PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU KNOCK
UTILITIES
I do not want to change my GAS, ELECTRICITY, PHONE or BROADBAND - I dont care if yours is bigger, smaller, cheaper, more expensive or comes wrapped in floral paper with a big pink frilly bow. I DONT WANT IT, DONT KNOCK ON MY DOOR.

RELIGION
I respect your right to believe in whatsoever you choose. You will respect my right not to listen to it on my doorstep.

DOORSTEP SELLERS
If I want to buy something I will go to the shop and buy it. I do not buy from the door. This includes, but is not limited to, cosmetics, household cleaning items and drinks. Please dont knock on my door pretending not to sell something when we both know that's exactly why you are here! Please note: Any brochures posted through my door will be given to the children to cut up and glue with, thank you for helping me to support their learning

CANVASSERS/POLITICS
Simply put, NO THANK YOU!!

IF YOU ARE A FRIEND, OR AN EXPECTED VISITOR, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO KNOCK ON MY DOOR AND EXPECT A WARM WELCOME.

It worked!

Mouse
13-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Just think though, for some peolpe, this is the only work they can get.

Last summer my 17yr old son had a temporary job as a door-to-door windows salesman. He absolutely hated it, but in the current economic climate it was all he could get and he was desperate for a summer job (especially as the Bank of Mum & Dad had shut its doors!).

I hated the thought that people would be rude to him when he knocked on the door (as I usually was with anyone who knocked on my door) when he was just trying to do his job. I stressed to him that if peolpe said they weren't interested he should respect that, but of course, that's not what the training told him to do :panic: He only lasted 3 weeks at it, but it did make me think a bit more about the peolpe knocking on my door. Now, I'm always polite, but firm. I only get rude when they won't go away :laughing: :laughing:

mummyMia
13-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Since my childminding registration was approved I have been getting loads of callers (on the phone). They all want me to advertise on Facebook or in some other random publications that probably don't even exist. I have started asking where they are getting my details from as they all clearly know I am a childminder. It seems that childcare.co.uk is the source:angry: It seems like anybody can register on there and start harassing childminders accross the country! One even said he was looking at my website as we were speaking. I felt like he was really invading my privacy! I am glad I decide not to put my house number on there.

Richard
13-07-2011, 03:38 PM
We impose strict security procedures to stop our data being abused in this way.

If you believe you have received a "cold call" as a result of childcare.co.uk then you can view your Who's Looked at Me? details to see which people have green tick in the Profile Plus column. This means they viewed your Profile Plus data.

If you believe a member that viewed your Profile Plus data is not genuine and has used the data to try and sell you something then please do report the matter to us and we can take action.

Since my childminding registration was approved I have been getting loads of callers (on the phone). They all want me to advertise on Facebook or in some other random publications that probably don't even exist. I have started asking where they are getting my details from as they all clearly know I am a childminder. It seems that childcare.co.uk is the source:angry: It seems like anybody can register on there and start harassing childminders accross the country! One even said he was looking at my website as we were speaking. I felt like he was really invading my privacy! I am glad I decide not to put my house number on there.