PDA

View Full Version : Mindee obsessed with hand washing

pinkbutterfly
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I have this mindee that recently developed an obsession with washing hands. He comes in and washes hands ... fair enough I always have to battle with the other ones about that so was nice to see one who did it without asking. But then he comes down and touches something by accident and goes off to wash hands again. He spends a long time washing hands ... about 3-4 minutes each time and does it very often ... I have counted 6 times within 2 hours today. Another thing ... the children were playing in the garden today. I asked him why he wasn't there with them ... he said 'I better stay here and watch germs'.
I don't really know if I should ignore this and let him do this or say something. I must add the parents split up recently and moved so this may be a control thing ... What do you think?

emmadines
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
sounds like it may be his way of coping, it dose sound like its something he can control. how old is he??? If the split wasnt long ago I would prob wait and see how things develop..........

maybe try some type of distraction - what about plaing with soaps that foam up? shaving foam has been used at schools?? soap crystals, then maybe add colour to them and move onto other things like corn flower, and as and when he is ready tray a little bit of paint??

sarah707
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Would he wear a pair of cotton gloves?

I have a child who doesn't like getting dirty and he wears gloves quite often in the garden and during messy play.

I leave them where he can access them independently... sometimes he puts them on and sometimes he doesn't. Nobody comments, it's his choice.

Hth :D