PDA

View Full Version : surely something should be

gegele
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
agreed or allowed for offering care to shift workier like emergency staff...

it seem really unfair that parents have to pay big money for little times actually used and we have to turn away business to not occur a loss.

but then parenst are encouraged to go back to work and us to be more flexible....

it annoys me. surely there should be a way to be a bit more flexible with numbers. i don't ask to be allowed 500kids but sometimes a contract can't go through because once a week you get over number for a while...

i don't know it just doesn't seem fair...

caz3007
12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I am happy to cater for shift workers but then I dont need to be full. I only charge for the hours needed with a minimum per week

jumpinjen
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
remember that shift workers often get a premium for working those unsocial hours...... time and a half so they get recompensed for that awkward time. I know what nurses can get paid as i am one as well as minding and to be honest...... if you choose that job then you pay for the care..... it may sound unfeeling but tough..... there are other benefits to being a shift worker, not just down sides!

jen x

Andrea08
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM
my DD works shifts and get no extra for night shifts no time and a half or days in lu...

i agree ive turned down work because it may have overlaped in numbers by 2 hrs ... its ppl that take the :censored: spoil it and thats why rules can not be bent just for 2hrs etc i understand the safety of children come first but if i couldnt manage it i wouldnt do it!!! and to have an assistant for just a couple of hrs for 1 extra LO means i earn nothing for that child...

AliceK
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I am happy to cater for shift workers but then I dont need to be full. I only charge for the hours needed with a minimum per week

I do the same. I have a LO who's dad is in the police and some weeks I have her 4 days and other weeks none at all and then others maybe 1 or 2 days. Same as you I don't want to be full all the time so it works out well for me. I think we are in the minority though. I agreed a minimum number of hours per month with mum but I do not charge a retainer for the other days/hours.

xxx

karensmart4
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I feel the system is against shift workers as well.

I look after a lo that lives next door.... Mum is a teacher and Dad works shifts, they are brilliant and pay for 4 full days plus 1 on a retainer so that they have 5 days available to them.

They thought that I was being very generous to them, but I feel that I should be offering something as Dad is often home when I have lo and I feel mean taking their money..........Ummm I don't think I make a very good business women :blush:

Babycat
12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
agreed or allowed for offering care to shift workier like emergency staff...

it seem really unfair that parents have to pay big money for little times actually used and we have to turn away business to not occur a loss.

but then parenst are encouraged to go back to work and us to be more flexible....

it annoys me. surely there should be a way to be a bit more flexible with numbers. i don't ask to be allowed 500kids but sometimes a contract can't go through because once a week you get over number for a while...

i don't know it just doesn't seem fair...

This is part of my research for the police there is a questionnaire on my website so that I can gather as much ideas as possible to begin a service for them! Just need to get going first then have a look at this! These kinds of shifts workers will also have secure jobs and ahve children so seems like the best if you can work around your hours/money for this!

gegele
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm not trying to be full at all time but i have part timers moin-thur, my DS is under 5 and DD in under 8.

i have had enquieries but when we looked at it we figured that mum need to talk to work to have fixe days and any shift as finding childcare was going to be near impossible. she only needed 12h a week over 3 days, that would be sacrificing a lot of work for 12h!

it just seemed unfair that a mother who try to go back to work part time to be able to spend time with child and pay bills has less support than one who would chose to claim.

caz3007
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I have parents where the mum works at Pizza hut, shifts and dad used to work at currys. So neither jobs would be on enhanced pay for the hours. I was flexible with them and more recently the only day I wouldnt have LO is a Tuesday.

I was willing to be flexible to help a young family out. Having said that my own child was over 5 when I took him on, so had my full quota of 3 under 5's.

FussyElmo
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I wish my dh got enhanced pay for unsociable hours. I know a lot of the girls who go back after maternity try to do nights as there is only so many people who you can accomadate on flexi time.

I try to be as flexible as i can with people but it is hard when they can only want you for a small amoout of hours as we still have to make a living :)

angeldelight
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I wish my dh got enhanced pay for unsociable hours. I know a lot of the girls who go back after maternity try to do nights as there is only so many people who you can accomadate on flexi time.

I try to be as flexible as i can with people but it is hard when they can only want you for a small amoout of hours as we still have to make a living :)

I agree

Angel xx