PDA

View Full Version : Fist Aid Box

Mrs M
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Hello all.
Just struggling a bit with the first aid box. I've bought a box but am not sure I've got all the contents. Does anyone have a full list they could send me please? Also, do I need a contents list to go in it?
Sorry, another thing. The travel one - does it need to have the full amount in it that the home one does?
Thanks very much.
Emma

Cazz
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry can't help too much as I haven't got mine yet but I think I will take the easier option and get the one from NCMA so that I know it will be correct.

There will probably be info on the NCMA website but I'm sure someone will post a reply and tell you what you need to know.

Carole x

sarah707
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I have one I bought when I was on my last course... sorry, not a useful answer!

My car one is only small and doesn't contain the same stuff as the house box. I take it out of the car when we are on outings so it has to be portable. :D

Heaven Scent
03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
I spent a fortune making sure my first aid box was all full and up to date and the b****y inspector didn't inspect it. I also have one in my car and in my husbands car and a small one in my bag I take out with me for the children. I don't remember reading anywhere that we have to have any other than the one in the house but I have that and I cant remember where I got the list of contents from I just filled up the one I got from Boots years ago when I lat minded and refreshed the contents and noticed that somone pinched my nice scissors from it. One thing I did notice thats not a requirement anymore is a tweezers but I left mine in as it will probably come back in again and I would have no other use for it I have used it once or twice to remove splinters and a friend of mine used it for something else but I can't remember what but I remember thinking what a good idea at the time.

Mollymop
03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Heres my list that I wrote down the other day -

Crepe Bandage
Large open weave bandage
small open weave bandage
eye pad with bandage
scissors
sterile gauze pads
Small serile pads with bandage
Triangular bandage
hypoallergenic tape
Sterile non-adhesive tape pads, perforated film asborant dressings (x2
Finger banadage and applicator
Disposable latex gloves
Safety pins
Disposable face shield
Special cuddly toy!

I got mine form ebay and it came next day, this morning infact. It didn't come with the finger bandage so I bought those seperately.

Cazz
03-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry to stick my nose in but I notice that on Sandra's list she has latex gloves. I have done the first day of my first aid course and the instructor said that you now have to have latex free gloves as you can't be sure if there is an allergy. Hope you don't mind me mentioning.

Mollymop
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
No not at all, I don't mind you saying! haha
And now you mention it I was told this as well on my first aid course.
I was just typing away form my list I was given on my first aid course and didn't think about it.

charleyfarley
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
These things change so often it's hard to keep up

On our first aid we were told not to keep scissors in the box

Don't forget to check the dates on the items too

Carol xx

Mrs M
05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Thank you all so much for your help.x

SonnysMummy
07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Quick question...sorry to jump in the thread but can we use anti-histamine creams. for example...what would you do if a child was stung by a wasp/bee...?

sarah707
07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Quick question...sorry to jump in the thread but can we use anti-histamine creams. for example...what would you do if a child was stung by a wasp/bee...?

In an emergency like that you would contact parents and check their wishes... but your first aid kit must not contain things like hydrocortisone or piriton that anyway, so if necessary parents would have to come and collect...

Except if the child has an allergy of course, in which case the info would be documented already and you would have permission to give relevant precribed medication as needed, then ring parents.

In the case of an extreme allergic reaction you'd be ringing 999 anyway.

Hope this makes sense :D

Heaven Scent
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
When my son got stung at school when he was 5 they rang me and I told them to make sure the sting was out and to apply vinegar to neutralise the sting. I suppose you could ring parents and ask them if they minded if you used the vinegar and you could tell them that you will call them back and give them a progress report. You could also ring NHS direct to get advice on current thinking - a lot of things change in the 3 years between 1st aid courses. I was told on my latest not to use a tweezer to remove stings but to use a credit card and flick it out, still told that vinegar is ok to apply.

Spangles
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi

Can I just quickly ask where you all get your face shields from?

I've looked in Boots and Superdrug and can't find any!

Heaven Scent
11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Good point I meant to ask that weeks ago but forgot,

breezy
11-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi

Can I just quickly ask where you all get your face shields from?

I've looked in Boots and Superdrug and can't find any!

Got mine on e bay, but Boots and lloyds chemists can usually order them for you

Jinx
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I know this is nuts, but we were told we mustn't try to remove any stings, splinters etc. This is classed as an invasive (sp) procedure and should only be done by a surgeon!!!!!!
So we'll all be spending our summers down at a&e waiting for a surgeon to come and remove a splinter! NOT.:rolleyes:

We were also told we can't have safety pins in our first aid boxes!:rolleyes:

Jinx x

Spangles
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Breezy!

sarah707
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I know this is nuts, but we were told we mustn't try to remove any stings, splinters etc. This is classed as an invasive (sp) procedure and should only be done by a surgeon!!!!!!
So we'll all be spending our summers down at a&e waiting for a surgeon to come and remove a splinter! NOT.:rolleyes:

Jinx x

I knew about the tweezers and took mine out... I thought you needed pins for bandages?? :rolleyes:

breezy
11-05-2008, 08:13 PM

Jinx x

SNAP!!! Also dont suppose they'll let us remove appendix either now and
I was just getting the hang of it!!!!!!!!!!!

crazybones
11-05-2008, 08:20 PM
SNAP!!! Also dont suppose they'll let us remove appendix either now and
I was just getting the hang of it!!!!!!!!!!!

:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Jinx
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I knew about the tweezers and took mine out... I thought you needed pins for bandages?? :rolleyes:

We are supposed to know how to tie fancy knots to keep bandages on or use tape apparently!
Actually, my granny had a bandage on her leg that the nurse had to come and change. Granny had redone it herself and used a safety pin and the nurse went nuts at her!!!! Granny, aged 94, told her where to go!!!hehe:laughing: hehe:laughing:

Jinx x

Mrs M
19-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi,
Just a quick question. I'm in urgent need of non-latex gloves for my first aid box. I've been to my local chemists and they don't stock them. Anyone got any good ideas for me of where I can purchase some? Also, when changing a nappy, should I be using those gloves too or a different sort?
Me and all my questions - sorry!
Thanks,
Emma x

maple
19-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I got my gloves from my local cheap pound store. I have some in my firstaid kit and the rest I use for changing nappies. Asda sell cheap ones in packs of 200 for 99p. hope this helps

Mrs M
20-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Brilliant. Thanks for that. I will go to Asda to get a load!
Emma x