PDA

View Full Version : Another rising 5s question

cockatoos
11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Have read the threads on rising 5's and still not sure of the answer to this question. My son and nephew are both starting school in sept. Nephew is 5 in sept, son is 5 in nov. They both have settling in weeks during September and will both be full time beg oct. Do they still count in my under 5's in September ( and what about august?).

Thanks in advance!
Amy

Goatgirl
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi,
This seems to have been answered differently by Ofsted to many of us, but I'm sure somewhere on here, some one did have written confirmation that rising 5 children beginning full time education in the Autumn term could be classed as rising 5 fro the duration of the summer holiday preceding the AUtumn term also.

Maybe call Ofsted as many times as you need to to find someone who agrees, then get them to put it in writing, just in case :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

cockatoos
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Wendy! I'll give them a ring tomorrow for clarification.

Amy

mushpea
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I have been told by ofsted that children are not classed as rising 5's untill they are doing 10 sessions a week ie full days, so if they are doing half days through september then they are still classed as under 5's untill they do full days.

georgie456
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I have been told by ofsted that children are not classed as rising 5's untill they are doing 10 sessions a week ie full days, so if they are doing half days through september then they are still classed as under 5's untill they do full days.

This is what I was told when my daughter started school in 2009 - they will be classed as rising 5's once they are in full time in October.

Goatgirl
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I know this is controversial. I wouldn't go ahead during the holidays unless you can get it in writing from Ofsted. If you can't, I'd advise asking for a variation allowing more under 5's to over 5's in your numbers. If its for continuity of care I think it should be granted as long as you wouldn't go over your 6 under 8 total.
Good luck :thumbsup:

I did find this thread again though....

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=59285&highlight=rising+5+summer

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Ali56
11-07-2011, 08:05 PM

This is how I understand it to be also :D

lisakeast468
11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Having just had my pre inspection and having a daughter that is starting school in Sept I was told that she will no longer count as 1 of my under 5's when she starts ft in prim school which is mid Sep.

Hope this helps as well

Lisa

cockatoos
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I think it must be oct then! Just wanted to know whether I could look after my nephew in the hols and sept without it affecting under 5's numbers. It's not a problem at the moment though as I don't have any mindees!

Thanks again,
Amy

Andrea08
12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
It should be that once they break from school/nursery or what ever for the 6wk summer hols they are in our over 5's so we dont turn work away in the hols for new under 5's .... the amount of jobs ive lost because of this and come sept ive got loads of vacancies...

my son is 13 and in a weeks time hes calling him self a yr 9 (not yr 8 till sept ...)

i will not turn work away for the sake of a few weeks settling in sessions its ok for us to have the LO's when every1 is on strike but ohhhh no not if they are not in 10 sessions in reception... its mad if school closes for what eva reason in sept does this mean thoes lo's drop down into our under 5's NO. so why should it matter in the first wks of reception ... do we have to refuse to pick up till 3.20pm and therefore remain in our over 5's? and if only doing afternoon sessions and we collect at 3.20pm should they be in our under 5's?

i say once in school uniform and registered as a reception child they are in our over 5's no matter what sessions or days they do, or if the school burns down (like one of ours did)...

oops a bit of a rant sorry hun x