PDA

View Full Version : please help!

NikNak
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Can any one advice me what to do please. I have just had a parent visit with regards to me caring for her child M after school monday-thurs every day term time and for 3 days 8-5pm school holidays.

obviously I will charge her my normal full rate for the days I care for her in the holidays. Do you think I should charge her 50% fee for the times she is not here in the holidays for the 3 days or the whole week seeing as she is taking up a place?

I cant think clearly about it and need to act fast as she will be calling for my answer soon!!!!!

Any advice would be greatly recieved.x

jaja
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I personally would only charge for the days they use as long as the days are set every week, you can always find another mindee to fill the other two days, I would only charge for the other two days if they may be needed every other week or a month. Good luck xx

Wendy Woo
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
i say the same if the days are gonna be the same each week just charge for those but if she not sure if the other days will be needed tell her you will have to charge her for them as u wont be able to take anothe mindee.
Good luck in ur desicion

Heaven Scent
03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not being funny but in circumstances like this you have to take each case on its own merit depending on the families circumstances - If the parents seem well off and are just penny pinching and taking the mickey with you then you charge for everything you can think of and then it leaves you with a little leaway for bartering - If they are entitled to nearly full fees on family tax credits then charge for everything if they are not having to pay. If they are just over the threshold for this and are still working for bread and butter as it were then negociate and be as fair as you can at both of you. - how old is the child? If the child is over 8 then only charge for what she needs as you are not retricted by numbers. If under 8 you could always charge full for the booked days and a retainer for the days which may be required and if you get an enquiry for odd days then don't charge the retainer on the days you have the other child At the end of the day its up to you what you do and will of course depend on supply and demand in your area - where I am a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush and I tend to negociate. Its amazing what comes along and how you can fit things in.

Don't get too hung up and check out your competition and see what they all offer - not just childminders but nurseries and out of school clubs etc.

I hope this has been of some help.

deeb66
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Personally I wouldn't charge a retainer.

I only charge for the actual time that a school child is with me.

After all they are not blocking one of your 0-5 slots.

Pudding Girl
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I would do as above and only charge the time they are with me, and onyl a retainer if they thought they might need the other 2 days, but cannot say for def.

Unless as SS says, they are very rich, or are getting it all pretty much paid for them, then I might think again lol

Michelle M
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM

I agree :)

miffy
04-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Same as Dee :)

miffy xx

Lou
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Same as Dee :)

miffy xx

Im the same also.

NikNak
13-05-2008, 10:41 AM
thanks everyone. It really helps to see what others do in certain situations.But hey guess what, I didnt need to worry after all as everything changed over that weekend and Im not having her after all!!!! Thank s though for advice as its all taken on board and stored in my head ready for the next situation I might find myself in! And its all a learning curve isnt it! x