PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Sorry if I waffle on..

maryp0ppins
11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Quite a few weeks back I had a lady texting me in regards to childminding.....she got my number off a friend.

At the time I had no space so passed on a few other CM numbers....she went to see them but No joy and a few weeks later was texting me asking if there was anything I could do.....Well like a true doughnut I look through my books and did have a space all along (rising 5 dilemma :blush: )

Anyway she came, loved it, signed etc...LO went to another CM before me but Mum & CM clashed. I did feel awful and saw other CM at school and she was fine with me and admitted they did rub each other up the wrong way so she was not fussed about them leaving.

THIS IS MY NEXT WORRY--

Mum text me at the weekend to say there was a little boy in her sons class and the boys mum asked her to ask me if I had any space. I said yes just 1 left......well i found out yesterday the little boy also goes to this OTHER CM and LO mum is not happy with the service the OTHER CM is giving either. Basically does not leave the house with them, so no park, no walks etc but each to there own and all that!!!

How awful would this make me look if they come for a meeting and like it here :panic:

Will I be the Child snatcher? Will I look bad?

Business head is saying do it (£££) heart is feeling a bit :ohdear:

miffy
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
This is a tough one, you have done nothing wrong (it's not like you have set out to poach this cm's work) but you do still live and work in the same area as this cm so it would be best if you can remain on good terms with her.

If the mum wants you to have the child then I suggest you get her to sort things out with the present cm before you get involved. Then have a word with the cm yourself so everything is out in the open and above board. She might not be happy about losing the work but this is down to parental choice not you.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx

little chickee
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Agree its tough but parents have the right to chose where to place their child.

I agree it will make things difficult between you and the other cm so what i might do is speak to this other cm and tell her that 2nd parent has approached you.

Briefly tell her what the parents concerns are - give her the chance to improve her service maybe.

But if the 2nd parent wants to come to you regardless i would take them on. Its not your fault they arent getting on at the other cm and it may give her the oppurtunity to reflect on her business and improve for future mindees.

I have just been saying that we have a very unstable job - you never know when and why mindees might leave you - its all part and parcel of our chosen profession.

maryp0ppins
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
This is a tough one, you have done nothing wrong (it's not like you have set out to poach this cm's work) but you do still live and work in the same area as this cm so it would be best if you can remain on good terms with her.

If the mum wants you to have the child then I suggest you get her to sort things out with the present cm before you get involved. Then have a word with the cm yourself so everything is out in the open and above board. She might not be happy about losing the work but this is down to parental choice not you.

Good luck - hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx

This is right, Had & have no intention of taking other CM's work away from them as I have been in the situation where a few have left at once (parents work etc) and I panicked a bit thinking right now what....wouldn't want other CM feeling this way.

I may wait to hear from potentially new parents then talk to other CM regarding them ringing/texting me......

These people did ring me for September last year but I was full at the time so could not help!!

:o

miffy
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
These people did ring me for September last year but I was full at the time so could not help!!

:o

If they do approach you and you can talk to the other cm (like you did last time) then hopefully she will understand. As the parents had already contacted you last year then it's not unreasonable that they would approach you again once they knew you had a vacancy.

Miffy xx

breezy
11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the main thing is that you continue to communicate with the other childminder that way she'll know you're not out to steal her business, the parents need to talk to her too, give her a chance to sort things out, keep everything in the open will lessen bad feeling on everyones part .:thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys....

Potential new parent rang tonight, she is coming for a meeting tomorrow evening.

I was honest and I told her how I felt regarding the other CM and she did say she understood how I must feel but at the end of the day had the same complaints as the parent that first came to me from the OTHER CM :(

I feel like my head is gonna pop!!

Erika
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Honestly? I wouldn't worry about it. The parents obviously don't feel that they can continue with her and if it isn't you that takes the business, it'll be someone else.

If the other CM chooses to say anything to you, simply reply that any issue she has is between her and the parent. If she wants to know the if the parent has give you reasons for leaving her setting, remind her that as a childminder she should be fully aware of confidentiality therefore you cannot discuss the content of any coversation you've had with a parent, with her.

You are operating a business and should not need to be in a position where you feel you have to turn away a contract in case it offends a 'competitor'.

JCrakers
12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Sorry..totally off topic :laughing:

Hows the baby? Did you gove notice in the end?

Becky x

mum2two
12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
It is hard - but I would still go for it. Parents clearly aren't happy with this CM, so if they don't come to you the likelyhood is they will continue looking elsewhere, and they will still leave other cm anyway.

Like others have said, try and talk to the other CM, but again - I know that's hard, and I'm a wimp with confrontation!!!

xx

rickysmiths
12-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys....

Potential new parent rang tonight, she is coming for a meeting tomorrow evening.

I was honest and I told her how I felt regarding the other CM and she did say she understood how I must feel but at the end of the day had the same complaints as the parent that first came to me from the OTHER CM :(

I feel like my head is gonna pop!!

You can't worry about it. We have a similar thing here and I have had a number of parents come my way. When i did send some the other way they left quite quickly. I see her at school and cm group, people have tried to help her especially when her inspection was comming up, she got Satifactory. At the end of the day she had to do it herself and its the same with this cm. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Business is business and if I had the space I would see the mum as she will be leaving the other minder anyway

I have had 3 children off of another minder - another story but if my practice is good then why shouldn't I answer an enquiry