PDA

View Full Version : Childminding in flat

kay24
11-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi all,
I currently childmind from a 2nd floor flat (all ofsted reg.) and have 1 full timer (whos parents im friends with) and 1 part timer and my own child. Have a chance to go into a shared ownership in another block of flats but they are much bigger than the block im in at the mo (only 6 flats in my block and area is quite nice with park right next to flats). The new flats dont look as appealing, lots more flats, higher up and no park close by.

Would you think if i moved to the new block of flats it would put parents off sending their child there? Please answer honestly! Am at a bit of a crossroads at the mo. Am aware that I cant offer quite so much as my flats are nice inside but not exactly huge and I have no garden, although a nice park is down stairs. But the new flats dont have this and am bit worried as one of my children are leaving so will have a space to fill. Would it put you off sending your own child here, are you much more likely to choose a minder with a house and garden?

Thanks xx

Penny1959
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
The only thing I would have a concern about is the lack of a park close by, as (I'm sure you know) access to outside space on a daily basis is part of EYFS.

Maybe you could find out how far away the nearest park is and if it is practical to use on a daily basis.

Personally if a childminded from a flat on say the 4th (or higher) floor I would consider carefully the children I tooj on because of access if lift broken or in the event of fire. Once I had thought it through I would be able to explain my reasoning to parents.

Penny :)

The Juggler
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
i think the smaller block of flats with park nearby would appeal more. In a large high rise block what if lifts are out, how would parents get up to your door with buggies etc?

Kezzle
11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I would also much rather (if i had a kid) that they were closer to nice clean outdoor and indoor space. If the other place is less appealing then maybe stick to where you are for now?

sandy64
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
im sorry to be honest yes it would put me off, not because there wasnt a park as im sure you would go for walks etc but more on the safety side as you do need to do fire drills etc its a long way evan just for a practice and what if lifts arent working which in a real fire you cant use them anyway. can you safely get yourself and children out??
hope you get sorted good luck:)

kay24
13-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for replies, I feel the same it would put me off as a parent too. Cant stay where I am sadly the flat im living in is to be sold so have to find somewhere else. Understand what you mean about safety aspects, have done all that for ofsted and I said to them i wont take a child under 1 or at all unless they are confident walkers with stairs and they said thats fine, but as I said I live in a small block of flats and am possibly moving to a bigger block of flats. Could move to a house but then cant afford to buy it so would have to just rent and put off trying to get on property ladder. Never an easy answer is there !
Thanks xx

Kezzle
13-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for replies, I feel the same it would put me off as a parent too. Cant stay where I am sadly the flat im living in is to be sold so have to find somewhere else. Understand what you mean about safety aspects, have done all that for ofsted and I said to them i wont take a child under 1 or at all unless they are confident walkers with stairs and they said thats fine, but as I said I live in a small block of flats and am possibly moving to a bigger block of flats. Could move to a house but then cant afford to buy it so would have to just rent and put off trying to get on property ladder. Never an easy answer is there !
Thanks xx

I rent my house too, i don't see much hope on getting on the property ladder either unless i win a large sum of money :)