PDA

View Full Version : Deflated :-(

littleguy1
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't know what I thought when I decided to mind children, but I didn't expect the registration process to be as hard and as stressful as it was. But I stuck with it and finally became registered on 14th June. I was so proud of myself and really happy that I can finally get started and......NOTHING! I've had a few enquiries and last week I had 3 meetings booked.....all 3 cancelled!! I just feel really deflated and want my business to kick off. A) because I'm bored, I want to start planning my days with the children but I'm obsessed with checking my e mails and childcare.co.uk and b) because my partner works his butt off at work, hardly has any time off and I just want a second income coming so he can take time off at his leisure. Grrrr so frustrating!

hollyberry
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know what I thought when I decided to mind children, but I didn't expect the registration process to be as hard and as stressful as it was. But I stuck with it and finally became registered on 14th June. I was so proud of myself and really happy that I can finally get started and......NOTHING! I've had a few enquiries and last week I had 3 meetings booked.....all 3 cancelled!! I just feel really deflated and want my business to kick off. A) because I'm bored, I want to start planning my days with the children but I'm obsessed with checking my e mails and childcare.co.uk and b) because my partner works his butt off at work, hardly has any time off and I just want a second income coming so he can take time off at his leisure. Grrrr so frustrating!

Don't worry Vickx82, I'm just the same. I've got a visit tonight, my first one (IF they turn up!!!) it's for 4 mornings before school a week - hardly a massive contract! Then at the weekend I'm seeing someone else (again, if they turn up) and this is for - wait for it - pick daughter up from school, drop round the corner to mum's mother-in-law! So I don't think I'm going to be raking in the fees on these two but I guess it's a start. I've been registered since May and my advertising has all come in to effect in the last about 3 weeks - I haven't had ANY enquiries for under 5s at all. Let's hope things improve for us both. xx

zippy
11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
the only tip i can offer is when you have a parent ring get them round asap, as sometimes they will see someone else first and go with them rather than visit all the options.

rickysmiths
11-07-2011, 11:00 AM
This is one of the downside of Childminding. It can take a good while to build up to filling the spaces you want to fill. This is certainly not a get rich quick job.

Even us experienced minders have lean times, I had 3 full timers each 9hrs a day I had had for 5yrs, all left between Christmas and Feb this year. It devistated my income lossing 135 paid hours a week :panic: I was left with one 4 days a week and two before and after school 2 days a week. Since then I have got one 5 days a week who within a week reduced to 4 days :panic: and has now given notice because she has now got the place in the Day Nursery she wanted and they are leaving! I have filled the places agin now and hopefully from September will have 3 under fives everyday, 4 one day and two new before and after school for more days then the two I had.

You can see though, what a roller coaster it can be.

I have found that since I have done a brochure about my business, it is extremly rare for a parent who has received a brochure, to cancel or not turn up for an interview. I try to hand deliver one to any parents who phone for an appointment. Doing this means that I usually get to meet them briefly, breaks the ice and means they do not feel that they are coming to a total strangers house, and I see where they live so I can advise on travel if, for instance they don't drive,

It also gives them a brief insite into what I do, how I do it and gives full address, email and phone numbers and a little map of where I am. It makes me stand out from those cms that don't have a brochure:thumbsup:

littleguy1
11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
A brochure sounds like a good idea! How do I go about doing that, did you get a company to print it for you? Thanks guys for your replies :-)

angeldelight
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Hope things start to pick up for you Vicky

Good luck vibes coming your way

Angel xx

Helcatt
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
the brochure sounds like a great idea, I have also been thinking about doing something like this. I think on the Bromley Childminders site and was thinking of downloading and playing around with it

It is a rollercoaster. For months, I was turning work away and it seems that as soon as I listed hubby as my assistant and can now take on more children, suddenly, there is no interest

HX

caz3007
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I was turning parents away at xmas as I was as full as I wanted to be and am losing 3 after schoolers totalling £120 pw next week and was thinking I may have a quiet summer :clapping: But have had one family visit today and another coming tomorrow. Families are like buses, you wait a while and then several come along at once.

Hope it happens for you soon

katies kiddie c
12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I advertise on the back of my car, ive got a bright colouful sticker with my name and phone number etc and i get loads of calls from it. You could give this a go

bluebell3
14-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi - I registered in April and apart from suddenly becoming useful for people who vaguely know me and find their normal childminders are unavailable when they need them during school breaks or the childminder is away I am not having much interest! I've got 1 child booked in for 1 day from September - again because the regular childminder didn't have any additional spaces on that day. Someone who lives a few doors up had asked me about childminding and today stopped me and asked if she could come round tonight. we arranged a time and here I am an hour later wondering why she didn't bother turning up!! Very disheartening indeed!!

bluebell3
16-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Have now just been told the lady who booked me for one day won't need me after all as her regular childminder has got the space after all! Never mind!

anthea jane
16-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I know just how you feel, I've been registered since april 18th and had 1 enquiry which I had to turn down as it was 5.30 am starts including all day sunday!!! I'm advertising everywhere, done a leaflet drop,update my details on f.i.s weekly and still nothing!!!! If I haven't got anyone by september going to have to try and get another job which really upsets me as have put alot of time,effort and money into becoming a childminder.

Hope we all get calls soon xxx

mummyMia
16-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I know how you feel:( I have had loads of calls during the last few weeks, all for September school pickups but they are ALWAYS for the wrong schools! The only enquiries for under 5s have been from shift workers who want really late nights and weekends. The only lady who has actually come to see me has not called back ...

miffy
17-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Hope things pick up soon for you

Miffy xx

Libby08
17-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't worry, it does take some time!
I have been registered since DECEMBER and I have only just filled my first space (unless they drop out on me so fingers crossed they don't!)!

I took it really personally at first but when they called me for my first inspection (which I cant have until I am working) the lady was really nice and told me that she hadn't been able to do a visit in my area to a new minder in a long time as there are quite a few very experienced minders around here that get all the work so not to worry and it wasn't just me!

I had a no show parent last week too, its horrible isn't it!!

Hope you find something soon, I really know how you feel!!!! xxx

bluebell3
17-07-2011, 03:18 PM
It is reassuring to know that there are a few of us in the same boat! I know some if the established childminders in my area have spaces and although they said they will pass on my number to anyone they can't fit in they also say they are just not getting the calls themselves at the moment!
I also have spent what seems a huge amount of money trying to get set up and it has taken me almost a year to do all the courses required and wait for the Ofsted registration process! Really hoping it picks up soon and good luck to all of you in the same position.

boxtree7
17-07-2011, 04:19 PM
don't panic yet ... it does take time to set up - It took me 6 months and now I am full every year. enjoy the quiet time for now ..........

Allie
17-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Try not to worry it took me six months to get going, then in nearly 21 years I've only had one quiet term :)

Good luck

Allie

keeks
17-07-2011, 05:20 PM
You've had lots of advice already. I just wanted to say it can take a while to get started. Summer time can be a little extra slow too, I am sure very soon you will pick up some business.

Good luck!

xx

Playmate
17-07-2011, 07:53 PM
This is one of the downside of Childminding. It can take a good while to build up to filling the spaces you want to fill. This is certainly not a get rich quick job.

Even us experienced minders have lean times, I had 3 full timers each 9hrs a day I had had for 5yrs, all left between Christmas and Feb this year. It devistated my income lossing 135 paid hours a week :panic: I was left with one 4 days a week and two before and after school 2 days a week. Since then I have got one 5 days a week who within a week reduced to 4 days :panic: and has now given notice because she has now got the place in the Day Nursery she wanted and they are leaving! I have filled the places agin now and hopefully from September will have 3 under fives everyday, 4 one day and two new before and after school for more days then the two I had.

You can see though, what a roller coaster it can be.

I have found that since I have done a brochure about my business, it is extremly rare for a parent who has received a brochure, to cancel or not turn up for an interview. I try to hand deliver one to any parents who phone for an appointment. Doing this means that I usually get to meet them briefly, breaks the ice and means they do not feel that they are coming to a total strangers house, and I see where they live so I can advise on travel if, for instance they don't drive,

It also gives them a brief insite into what I do, how I do it and gives full address, email and phone numbers and a little map of where I am. It makes me stand out from those cms that don't have a brochure:thumbsup:

Ricky is quite right it is a roller coaster, it has taken me 5 years (after a 2year break away from CM'ng) to get to where I really want to be, at the moment we have so many enquiries we can't cope! like the brochure idea we have a website, I find people look at that and then very often don't book any other appointments! all these little things help :D Good luck just stick with it :thumbsup: