PDA

View Full Version : Question re. Forces families

Spangles
03-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I have got two army families that I mind for but wondered what to do when they have their summer leave?

We're in the army too and so I know they will get all of August off - I charge full fee for families' holidays but don't really want to charge for the whole of August but if I don't I won't have any money coming in.

What does everyone else do with their Forces families?

charleyfarley
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry Lorri but I used to charge for all holidays taken by my army parents but then none of them had a whole month off in the summer.

Sorry I couldn't really help

Maybe you could charge half fees?

Carol xx

deeb66
03-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry ....I can't help as I have never looked after forces families.

But if I had to make a stab in the drak I would agree with Carol and charge half fee or at least a retainer of some kind so that you have some income.

cloud9
06-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I have got two army families that I mind for but wondered what to do when they have their summer leave?

We're in the army too and so I know they will get all of August off - I charge full fee for families' holidays but don't really want to charge for the whole of August but if I don't I won't have any money coming in.

What does everyone else do with their Forces families?

Unless they asked for the whole of august off at the point of the contracts being signed i would charge them whatever you agreed in the contract regarding holidays.
good luck

brillminder
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
hi what about treat them same as teacher 1/2 fee i charge for mine but limit the number of weeks @ 1/2 :)

Spangles
06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone.

It's one of those situations that if somebody else asked I would say charge full fee because you're available bla bla bla but it just seems awful when you actually have to do it! Do you know what I mean?

I have decided to take one of the weeks off myself as my hubby has the same leave, so that's one week that will be free!

Kelly
06-05-2008, 05:33 PM
My hubby is in the Army and 2 of my LO's parents are also in. They have three weeks of the summer off, I plan to take two weeks holiday which is no fee. Even when my parents are on leave they never keep their LO's at home they always send them in and only take holiday when I have mine!

donnahay0
06-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I would charge half fees. I never had all of August off but my families RAF would shut down over Xmas - nobody ever complained about it although 6 weeks is longer.

peggy
06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Oooh one of my parents is in the army, i didnt know they take august off!

Yes i would still charge for this time off, i'm not Army personel so I would charge full rate unless contract stipulated differently. The only problem is that as your also Army your well aware this time is due off, so i guess the argument could be here is why wasnt it discussed at the time of contract, or that you could make reasonable allowances for a loss of income for this month etc.... personally due to this i think if i were in your shoes then i would charge half as a retainer.

However, i'm gonna be taking two weeks off myself in August where there is no fee, the other two weeks though i will be charging full rate as this wasnt made aware to me, i'm 99.9% certain though my parent will be sending her child to me regardless for the time she has paid during August!

Spangles
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I checked with my hubby and he's now saying they have from 27th July and 3weeks in August off.

I will have to ask her what her plans are, she will still be working but her hubby will be off so I would assume that he would want the child but who knows!

Rubybubbles
09-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm on RAF base so kind of know where you are coming from

I would only charge 1/2 rate if was given 4 weeks notice of the hols, they may still need you even though they are on hols (as in army)

Unless at time of contract this was talked about ( I have 1 boy 8-9 school run, that come 8.40am each morning:rolleyes: ) I know I'm only needed term time only so don't charge over the hols so I don't have to take him IYSWIM:laughing:

so I would charge 1/2 in this case for you BUT your contract is full fees for their hols so you are within your rights to charge full fee (I'm only 1/2 fee for hols)

oh I'm confused now, sorry hope it makes sense