PDA

View Full Version : aargh need help re teacher status

jadavi
09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
please please can anyone help me I am going out of my mind on line and I also can't access the training pages of this forum without a password....

I'm a trained and experienced secondary school teacher and did a conversion to primary ed course 20 years ago in Sussex - if I was given a certificate I don't have it now. However at the time this course qualified me to teach primary and nursery which I did for 5 years. I then home educated my 4 and did different things - mainly around adults and children with special needs.

I'm now going thru the EYFS course and applying to Ofsted and would like to be able to offer nursery provison too. My childminding matters regional adviser hasn't a clue about this but says there's no course as far as she can see on her list and I'd have to take the NVQ3 or a degree to be able to do this. (These courses were stopped after the 90s)

Has anyone got any ideas or advice? If I do have to do a course do you know which is the cheapest and quickest? Also are there any other ex teachers (secondary) who converted to Primary/nursery who child mind and offer nursery places?

thanks jac

rickysmiths
09-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Where did you do the Primary Course? Would the college be able to supply evidence? Or your first Primary School should be able to confirm your qualifications. Do you not have a Degree for you Secondary Teaching?

Your local Early Years may have funding available for the Level 3 Diploma Children and Young People's Workforce. If not it costs approx £2000 and takes 12-18mths through NEC maybe cheaper through a local college but will still take a min of 12-14 months to do.

zippy
09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
i got funding for the ccld nvq3 took me about 8 months, i would need that if i want to become accreditted

zippy
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
you also need to have had an inspection and have been graded good or better to become accreditted

jadavi
09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
ah yes thanks I'd forgotten about the need for the inspection which of course is about 7 months in isn't it after registering?

Yes I have a degree and PGCE and the place I did the course was the teaching centre as it was the called but prob the prof teacher development centre now. I think its a lost cause...

The EYFS organiser locally said I could get a degree in 3 - 6 months but I dont know what she was referring to... I would actually really enjoy a refresher course and get genned up on all the current requirements etc
but the cost is going to be really prohibitive.....what are the OU courses like and are they very pricey too?

thanks for your help
jac

jadavi
09-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Has anyone done the Child care diploma level 3 at Cambridge Open college?
This costs less than £200. Would this qualify you to offer nursery places in your home?

jac

green puppy
09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Has anyone done the Child care diploma level 3 at Cambridge Open college?
This costs less than £200. Would this qualify you to offer nursery places in your home?

jac

To offer the funded sessions as a cm you need to be accredited, usually through a childminding network. Is this what you mean?

Penny1959
10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Hello I am an ex childminding network coordinator and so may be able to provide some information.

As others have said you need to be a member of a childminding network to become accredited to offer funded sessions.

Each local Authority has different requirements so you must contact your early years team to find out what the situation is in your area - be warned not all areas offer the opportunity to become accredited.

Some areas have a minimum lenght of childminding experience required - nomatter what your previous experience - for example despite the fact that I have been a network coordinator Worcestershire 'rules' meant that I had to registered as a childminder for one year before I could apply

Re your teaching qualification - you maybe able touse it but will have to do a course to cover the difference in requirements betwen older qualifications and the requirements of level 3 (simply because things have changed and it is not just the 'education' side.

I had a childminder in a similar situation who wanted to join the network and after research despite the fact she had her actual certificate - it was quicker and easier to do level 3 rather than lots of short courses to fill the gaps.

Hope that helps - but suggest that your early years team are the best people to ask because of local requirements

Penny :)

jadavi
10-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Penny that's really helpful. I think I'll have to do the early years level 3 which I'd enjoy anyway - do you rate these private on line places such as Cambridge Easy college offering to do the course for £295 at your own speed from home? I don't want to do day release and cut down my childminding availability and can't afford the local college course anyway.

Thanks again.
jac

Noomie
10-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I also have queried this with my LA as I was interested in drawing down funding to provide nursery education. I have a bachelor of early childhood education but this isn't usually recognised. :rolleyes: So my LA would want me to gain Early Years Professional Status or some such.

There is also a body (NARIC I think) and another one which begins with W and these check your qualifications and see if they match ifyswim?

Penny1959
11-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Hello Jac,

Yes I do like the home study ones - as you can do at your own pace - I did my own level 3 (NVQ in those days) in this way.

Home study does not suit some people ( i have also been a tutor and assessor for the old NVQ'S) as they need someone to provide the starting points and information (plus in some cases motivation). Some also like the class environment to bounce ideas around.

From what you have posted - you sound like someone who would enjoy and manage the home study version very well

Personally I would check that the course you want to do is recognised by your Early Years Team before paying out your money.

Good Luck with getting it sorted.

jadavi
11-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks again good advice. The main bouncing around ideas I would want to get - would be from actual nursery practitioners to give me loads of tips not really other students so I think home will be fine. I am realy struck by the difference between the principles and attitude taught on my EYFS course and the nursery I am volunteering at.....totally different. The nursery seems to be doing everything 'wrong' and is very schooly imo which is exactly what I don't want to be like at home!

jadavi
11-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks again Penny good advice.

The main 'bouncing around ideas' I would want to get - would be from actual nursery practitioners to give me loads of tips not really other students so I think home will be fine. I am realy struck by the difference between the principles and attitude taught on my EYFS course and the nursery I am volunteering at.....totally different. The nursery seems to be doing everything 'wrong' and is very schooly imo which is exactly what I don't want to be like at home!

Penny1959
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks again Penny good advice.

The main 'bouncing around ideas' I would want to get - would be from actual nursery practitioners to give me loads of tips not really other students so I think home will be fine. I am realy struck by the difference between the principles and attitude taught on my EYFS course and the nursery I am volunteering at.....totally different. The nursery seems to be doing everything 'wrong' and is very schooly imo which is exactly what I don't want to be like at home!

Pleased to hear that - stick to your guns and do it your way not the nursery way :D

jadavi
12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi the latest thing I've been directd towards possibly is the EYPS (prof status) for people with degree and exper with children. has anyone done this? Can yiou tel me what it costs and the length?

Cheers
jac
PS Is it true the NVQ3 childcare does not exist any more? Impossible to get my head round all of this!

Penny1959
12-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi the latest thing I've been directd towards possibly is the EYPS (prof status) for people with degree and exper with children. has anyone done this? Can yiou tel me what it costs and the length?

Cheers
jac
PS Is it true the NVQ3 childcare does not exist any more? Impossible to get my head round all of this!

True about NVQ's - new diploma available.

Have not done EYPS myself - but know others one here have - so sure someone will be along soon to give more info