PDA

View Full Version : Qualified or Not

Mamma4Ya
09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
It has always been my understanding that you had to be qualified to be able to register as a childminder. Can you be a registered childminder without qualifications??

Hannah

Twinkle-Toes
09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't have any specific child related qualifications apart from the compulsory ones ie paediatric first aid and the CYPOP Nvq course (replaced the icp) and i've just become registered :thumbsup:

Think there was talk of all childminders having to be working towards a level 3 qualification at some point tho.

green puppy
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I used to be in catering before I registered, you don't need specific qualifications apart from the ones mentioned above. Ofsted require an enhanced crb check and also inspect you first to ensure you are a suitable person. You usually get some funding for other training once registered, I have nearly finished my nvq 3 in children's care, learning and development and have completed the first year of my foundation degree in early years through the open university.

sarah707
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
There has been a lot of talk over the years about childminders needing to be level 3 qualified.

However the Eyfs does not require it - just the introduction to childminding course.

There's nothing in the new revisions to the Eyfs either.

Hth :D

tulip0803
09-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi I notice that you are in Wales. You need to complete an pre-registration Childminding course which is run by your LA. You will be advised how to book on to this at your childminding breifing. Even if you are already doing an NVQ you will still need to do the pre-reg course.

The only compulsory training for childminders in Wales is the pre-registration training, First Aid renewed every 3 years, Child Protection renewed every 3 years and Food hygiene renewed every 3 years.

It is good practice to undergo further training that will enahnce your childminding and care skills and your CSSIW inspector will ask about this each time she inspects you.

When I started I had no training in child care now I have loads - I enjoy the courses:D

Don't worry about EYFS as that only applies to England. We do not have it here.

Mamma4Ya
09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi I notice that you are in Wales. You need to complete an pre-registration Childminding course which is run by your LA. You will be advised how to book on to this at your childminding breifing. Even if you are already doing an NVQ you will still need to do the pre-reg course.

The only compulsory training for childminders in Wales is the pre-registration training, First Aid renewed every 3 years, Child Protection renewed every 3 years and Food hygiene renewed every 3 years.

It is good practice to undergo further training that will enahnce your childminding and care skills and your CSSIW inspector will ask about this each time she inspects you.

When I started I had no training in child care now I have loads - I enjoy the courses:D

Don't worry about EYFS as that only applies to England. We do not have it here.

Thank you. I am waiting to hear about the pre-registration and first aid course, I passed my level 2 Food and Hygiene course yesterday. I am studying CACHE level 3 will that do?

tulip0803
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Cache is fine.

Like I said you do not HAVE to do it but it is very good practice and helps you to understand the regs & child development and stuff! Looks good too.

When I first registered it was in England and we had a year to complete the ICP (introduction to childminding) course. I know in Wales that you have to do it before reg cos they nearly made me do it again. After that I worked towards Cache Level 3 Certificate in Childminding Practice. I have just completeed the NVQ3 to update (and it was offered free:D ).

Your inspector will be very pleased to see that you are doing it when you finally get round to putting your application in.

hollyberry
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't have any specific child related qualifications apart from the compulsory ones ie paediatric first aid and the CYPOP Nvq course (replaced the icp) and i've just become registered :thumbsup: Think there was talk of all childminders having to be working towards a level 3 qualification at some point tho.

Our local authority as of July 2011 still does the ICP, not CYPOP - does this vary by region then??? Does that explain why we do the ICP round here (W Mids)?

Andrea08
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM
There has been a lot of talk over the years about childminders needing to be level 3 qualified.

However the Eyfs does not require it - just the introduction to childminding course.

There's nothing in the new revisions to the Eyfs either.

Hth :D

i was looking into this too as our LA was pushing every1 to do the nvq3 and now the foundation degree we were told that it was coming into practice that we all had a level 3 but like sarah said i didnt find it in the EYFS?

hollyberry
12-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Seems to be a bit confusing although the consensus does seem to be that it's not required at all neither now nor in the future - does anyone have a definite answer??? I would prefer to get some mindees and get into the childminding for a year before I start doing yet more training - i think that would be far better as there's so much to get into the swing of with the EYFS, obs and so on.

Ripeberry
12-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Is there no way of doing it DIY? Getting the books yourself and reading up on things and then just taking an exam?
I really think £2,000 for a course is daylight robbery, but then it's quite cheap compared to what you have to pay for Uni these days :(

Mamma4Ya
12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Is there no way of doing it DIY? Getting the books yourself and reading up on things and then just taking an exam?
I really think £2,000 for a course is daylight robbery, but then it's quite cheap compared to what you have to pay for Uni these days :(

I just paid £330 for an online course for Childminding CACHE level 3 thought that was really reasonable until I found out I do not need it in Wales :(

I got the ICP in August so go from there.

tulip0803
13-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I just paid £330 for an online course for Childminding CACHE level 3 thought that was really reasonable until I found out I do not need it in Wales :(

I got the ICP in August so go from there.

It isn't compulsory but is very good practice and the CSSIW inspector will think it great. One of the minders here got inspected this year having just done NVQ L3 and the inspector said that she did not really need to see anything or say anything as it had all been covered in the NVQ course! Short insp good report:D

hollyberry
14-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I just paid £330 for an online course for Childminding CACHE level 3 thought that was really reasonable until I found out I do not need it in Wales :( I got the ICP in August so go from there.

How long ago is 'just'????

You can CANCEL it - this is Distance Selling and you are entitled to cancel, without giving any reason. So I would get on the phone and tell them you've changed your mind because they've sold you a course that isn't even relevant to your location (which they should have known), and you want an immediate refund - if they say oh well, you bought it - you say yes I know I did, but under Distance Selling regulations I am entitled to cancel it - so get on and process that refund for me.

Hth!!!!

Jodie1989
28-11-2011, 05:10 PM
It is good practice to hold a nvq or diploma as it is now. I would prefer my mindrd to be qualified or working towards one. The extra knowledge is great to know. :)

PixiePetal
28-11-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't have any qualifications except for the first aid etc we have to have and also child protection and short courses I have done.

I like to think 29 years of childcare (as a nanny - yes 12 years unqualified there too! and CM after) counts for something too :)

Jodie1989
28-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree experience is a great key.. But personally I would also look for a qualified minder.. If you can get a funded course it is well worth it as you can never no too much ;)