PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please?? Living and minding on a farm

sunbeams
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I am getting everything up together to hopefully start working from September.

Ofsted called to let me know they will be coming out to do their pre reg visit within 4 weeks.

My worry is, I live on a working dairy farm. Although I live in the farmhouse, I do not work, or have anything to do with the running of the farm. (I leave that to DH!) My mindies will not be alowed on the farm. The only outside area they will be able to access other than my very secure garden, is the dozen or so paces from the gate to my front door.

Does anyone have any advice for any documents I should have in place for Ofsted? I have a policy for the farm, stating no one is to have access to the farm at any time, and have risk assessments in place for the few paces mindies and their parents/carers need to walk to get to my door.

I have been warned Ofsted will be - and quite rightly so - very vigilant when doing my visit, but I am starting to get my knickers in a knot about it all!! :blush: :panic: :o

Any advice will be gratefully received!:thumbsup:

xx

Goatgirl
08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi :),
I don't have any experience of risk assessing a childcare setting in a farm environment but didn't want to read and run...

I would think as long as you can show that you have considered any risks you can think of and how you can best manage them, they will be happy?! Only you can know the particular risks though....

Hope it goes well anyway, and I wouldn't worry too much, as, if there is anything, they will just ask you to address it. It shouldn't stop your application to register :)

best wishes,
wendy :)

Penny1959
09-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Hello

I do know several childminders who live on a farm - and they use it as a selling point.

Of course the children can not just wonder about but they watch things happening such as the tractor and other machies doing their workand , take part in safe activities such as collecting eggs and feeding lambs - and use cameras to record the seasons - and so much more.

Penny :)

christine e
09-07-2011, 05:48 AM
I know that there is at least one forum member who lives on a farm. Suggest you change the title of your thread to include 'live on a farm' and it may attract attention from those living on farms

Cx

madmamma
09-07-2011, 07:53 AM
What fantastic learning experiences your mindees will have!

I'm sure that so long as your RA's and Policies are in order you'll be fine.
Have you contacted your early years team to see if they could send someone out to do 'an assessment' for you - they go through the same steps ofsted will and may be able to point any areas that may need looking at before Mr/s O gets to you?

Good luck and fingers crossed :thumbsup:

QualityCare
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I think l would have a policy/parental responsibility form stating that as you live on a farm you are responsible for the children while in your sole care, whilst coming into and leaving your property the parents have responsibility for keeping their child safe and away from machines barns etc (l know we all have the same problem but being on a farm there are alot more dangers and things for children to want to run off and see) each parent signs this and its kept with all their other permission slips contracts etc.

sarah707
09-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Good idea Christine I have done that for the member :thumbsup:

Sunbeams a lot of childminders will be envious of your life and wish they had similar experiences on their doorstep to share with the children.

with RAs in place I am sure you will be fine!

Good luck with it all :D

mariehunter
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I use it as a selling point, as long as your areas for play etc are safe and secure it shouldnt be an issue.I tell parents that we will occassionally visit the farm to see the cows etc and will take wipes with me for hands etc and then insure that the children wash and possibly sanatise their hands on returning.I have a fair few pairs of boots in various sizes for minded children to use, my bumf says I live on a farm and had no problems with Ofsted,keep in touch with how you get on...how many childminders on here live on farms?
Feel free to add me on facebook if you do...my pic is of a cow rofl :jump for joy:

sunbeams
09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Thank you all for your very useful comments.:)

I will keep you posted! :thumbsup:

Sarah xx

mariehunter
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I know that there is at least one forum member who lives on a farm. Suggest you change the title of your thread to include 'live on a farm' and it may attract attention from those living on farms

Cx

who else on the forum lives on a farm...sorry just curious..

flora
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I live on a farm :D

My certificate says the kids cannot go on the working area of the farm.

They can't any way for bio security reasons.

There is a track runnning down the middle of the farm where tractors come down and feed lorries come in but the kids can't get to that unless I am out there too.

The track at the front of the farm also is an access track so parents are well briefed NEVER to let their kids open the door and just run to the car, we generally know when other farmers are about but always best to be safe than sorry.

You know yourslef what needs to be made into a policy for your specific farm.

I know some are put off cos we are a farm and thats why I always mention it.

Good luck:clapping:

Dragonfly
09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I believe Flora lives on a farm (also a childminder) gave me advice once about keeping chickens, she was excellent:clapping:

Dragonfly
09-07-2011, 06:12 PM
sorry flora we must of sent our posts at the same time:blush:

flora
09-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I have had several inspections now and tbh they were no more vigorous cos we live on a farm.

Because the garden is fenced, they just wanted to know HOW i STOPPPED THEM GETTIN ONTO THE FARM AND oop caps on :blush: and the hygiene regarding the animals and that was it.

Don't worry too much you'll be fine :thumbsup:

flora
11-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Thats ok Dragonfly, lol

glad I could help :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
11-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I live on a working farm. My house is actually on the opposite side of the road to the dairy and main buildings but we have workshop and tatty barns next to the house. :rolleyes:

I have it written on my introduction to parents/RA that children are not outside the garden gate unsupervised as tractors/other vehicles may be passing - also DH parks his tractor by the house, outside the fence, when he comes in for lunch - this is a great time for children to see tractors close up :thumbsup:

we have good hand washing procedure and no shoes on in house, I ask for wellies to be provided all year too as they are easier to clean

we go for walks over to the farm to watch the milking - this has always been popular - we watch from the sliding door of the parlour, not inside - and walks on our land, blackberry picking, apple/pear/plum collecting in the garden.

People have chosen me because of what I can offer here, lots of fresh country air. I say if they are looking for a nice neat garden and want designer clothes to stay pristine, I am not the CM for them. Sell yourself - Ofsted were happy with everything and considered my farm as my USP! :thumbsup:

caz3007
11-07-2011, 08:08 AM
People have chosen me because of what I can offer here, lots of fresh country air. I say if they are looking for a nice neat garden and want designer clothes to stay pristine, I am not the CM for them. Sell yourself - Ofsted were happy with everything and considered my farm as my USP! :thumbsup:

If I had the choice of where to send my son if I had needed at CM and a farm was on the list, I would choose that every time, but then there are others for whom it would be their worstnightmare

Donkey
11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
farm +1 for me!!!

we love going to see the diary farm where they sell the nicest ice cream in sheffield...

shame my wasitline doesnt like it as much :rolleyes: