PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I wasted my time yesterday

IsabellaB
08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Although maybe I should view it as a practice run and should be pleased that my house is spotless.

I was contacted by a woman who was moving to the next viallge and wanted someone to look after her baby from October. Sounded perfect gave me the summer holidays etc with my kids. Attatched to the village is an RAF base, but she had not mentioned anything to do with RAF prior to yesterday. She is RAF, living and working on the base where they have a nursery.

I live 5 miles away, is she really going to drive 20 miles a day to get childcare when she can walk to work :(

rickysmiths
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Are you sure she will be living on the base, not all families do? Maybe she doesn't like the Nursery on the Base, maybe its full.

I'm sure she wouldn't have deliberately wasted your time. Did you just speak on the phone or did she come and see you?

If she came to see you then thats great. If you spoke on the phone, did you get her address? I always send/or email, people a copy of my Brochure so they have an outline of what I offer and my full address, phone numbers and email to hand.

AliceK
08-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a mindee I used to look after. They lived on the army base but drove 5 miles each way to me every day and they both worked on the base. There could be numerous reasons why she is looking elsewhere. Don't be disheartened.

xxxx

IsabellaB
08-07-2011, 10:14 AM
She came to visit, with her Partner and TBH the visit went really well. She is going to live on camp, maybe I am just getting myself prepared for rejection, it was only my 2nd interview and I did not get the 1st.

Need to bolster my confidence, not had a job interview for about 8 years

sharonmanc
08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
My ex hubby is us military and when living there lots of people went off base for childcare for one reason or another sme the childcare was over subscribed or they wanted better childcare that fit with them, more settled, as remember mil children also come and go too, also i have alot of mil friends here too and quite a few have their children in off base childcare, one of my friends does not like the standard of chaildcare at her bsase so uses a minder off base. keep positive, hopefully they will call :)

jumpinjen
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree... many people prefer minders to nurseries remember so that may be why they were looking for a minder. if both parents came then definately serious about looking!

chin up, hope you get it!

Jen x

Erika
11-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Don't let it put you off. When I had my first I wanted a nursery where she'd be in a room with other babies her age, where there was more than one person around, where there would be cover for sickness and where it was £30 cheaper per week. I went through all three nurseries in my town for visits and what I saw there swiftly changed my mind. No way in hell was my daughter going to any of them. I then went to a childminder who was a half hour away and saw it was a lovely home-from-home environment, and I signed the contract within days. I'm not saying all nurseries are badly run, but certainly the ones in my area were not a place I'd feel happy leaving my child. Now my children are older, I feel the same way about after school clubs. My one is half the cost of my childminder but I prefer the childminding environment.

There are some parents who feel better with nurseries and there are some who feel better with childminders. Not all parents will go with a cheap option or an option which is nearer to them. And a good parent will always go with the option they feel most comfortable with. For me, it would always be a childminder over a nursery or after school club.