PDA

View Full Version : Foundation degree in early years studies????

mad house
08-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Hello just wondering how many of you's have or are completing you foundation degree in childcare? I am taking every learning opportunity so I can reach my full potential. But aware it is a 3 years course with lots of time in college and course work. Would like be worth completing? And if I ever got feed up off childminding would it open anymore career doors in childcare e.g. Schools. Thankyou for advise :blush:

Pixie dust
08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I am currently doing mine through the OU as it fits in with my work and family life.

solly
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I am starting mine with the OU in Octiber:)

Pipsqueak
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I have just completed my BA Hons after doing the FD

Its been beneficial to me personally and professionally and i have throughly enjoyed it but would have done my 3rd year differently

Mouse
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm just finishing the first year of my FD. It's a 2 yr course, all done online. It has sometimes been hard work getting the assignments done on time (I've got on due in today that I've not finished yet :blush: ), but if you're strict with yourself, it's not impossible.

I think it's definitely worth doing. I don't intend moving out of childminding, but it's been very beneficial to me & the way I work. Consequently I think it's beneficial for the children :thumbsup:

Andrea08
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I have just completed my BA Hons after doing the FD

Its been beneficial to me personally and professionally and i have throughly enjoyed it but would have done my 3rd year differently

well done pip. will you be doing the EYP top up/fast track thingi?

i have stopped at nvq3 and level 4 in managing quality standards in childrens services shame that cource has stopped now because it was good to do as a level 4 if ya didnt want to do the FD.

i think its a shame there are not more level 4's for thoes who dont want to do the FD esp me as i will have to do my english n maths again coz im too old to have my qualifications recognised :eek: lol

Pipsqueak
08-07-2011, 03:37 PM
No EYP for me.. I would need to get my maths first and I just cannot face that. Plus I have promised my family after nearly 5 years of study that that is it. No more.. I have gone as far as I want or need to for now

sdean
08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I have done the first two years with OU of the Foundation Degree and am doing the other two this year Oct - May & Jan - Oct.

It is fantastic - I will not lie it is really hard work fitting it all in around childminding and a family but the study you engage in has a huge impact on your practices and setting. Thoroughly recommend it!

Helcatt
08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking about doing it via the OU so that I can try to fit it around the family etc. But I have promised not to do any more study until my 2yo is full time at nursery

But from what I have heard, it is a good thing to do in terms of the benefits to your business and the children you care for.

I don't think I want to leave childminding, ever, but the way I see it, it could well be a way out later on. At the moment I don't mind my house being over run with toys etc but as my children grow, this may change

HX

MaryMary
08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I am looking at options at the moment, with a view to starting in October. I have a question for the OU ladies :o

Each module is £700. How many modules does the FD need? Is it 2 or 3? And does this take 2 or 3 years? I have been looking at the OU website, but it is very confusing!

Sorry to hijack the thread :thumbsup:

sdean
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I am looking at options at the moment, with a view to starting in October. I have a question for the OU ladies :o

Each module is £700. How many modules does the FD need? Is it 2 or 3? And does this take 2 or 3 years? I have been looking at the OU website, but it is very confusing!

Sorry to hijack the thread :thumbsup:

There are four modules - E100, E105, an optional level 2 unit eg U212 and then E210. They recommend you do one a year and to be honest it is enough I am overlapping for 5 months this year but am not looking forward to it but have cut my work load a little and my youngest goes into reception this year so fingers crossed I will manage it.

hope that helps x

MaryMary
09-07-2011, 11:56 AM
There are four modules - E100, E105, an optional level 2 unit eg U212 and then E210. They recommend you do one a year and to be honest it is enough I am overlapping for 5 months this year but am not looking forward to it but have cut my work load a little and my youngest goes into reception this year so fingers crossed I will manage it.

hope that helps x

thank you. So that means at least 3 years study, with a minimum cost of £2100 :panic:
I think I will go for the course that Mouse has been doing. that should take 2 years (hopefully :o ) and costs £995 per year (can be split into three payments apparently). i don't think i am eligible for any funding/financial support, so i need to do some budgeting.
thanks again Peeps for your input :thumbsup:

green puppy
09-07-2011, 02:45 PM
thank you. So that means at least 3 years study, with a minimum cost of £2100 :panic:
I think I will go for the course that Mouse has been doing. that should take 2 years (hopefully :o ) and costs £995 per year (can be split into three payments apparently). i don't think i am eligible for any funding/financial support, so i need to do some budgeting.

The open university do a loan where they pay the fees for the chosen module and you can pay it back in monthly instalments. The details are on their website, have you spoken to your local authority about funding?

Mouse
09-07-2011, 03:16 PM

It's always worth applying to student finance to see if you can get anything. I didn't think I'd be entitled to any help, but I did get something. I think on their website you can find out how much you could be entitled to, taking into account your family income. Even if you only get something to help towards study materials, it's better then nothing :thumbsup:

tinynippers
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
The open university do a loan where they pay the fees for the chosen module and you can pay it back in monthly instalments. The details are on their website, have you spoken to your local authority about funding?

hi im thinking about doing fd with ou but don't seem to be able to find information on how to go about doing it, what is there web site please? x

nat222
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I have just signed up to reserve a place on the early years foundation degree with the open university. They dont charge you until you have been to try get funding towards it as they reserve your place.Also as my partner is self employed and books for this tax year havent been done and many other self employed people will be in same position it doesnt look at income for the latest tax year but the one where all books have been done if that makes sense. :)

MaryMary
09-07-2011, 07:13 PM
It's always worth applying to student finance to see if you can get anything. I didn't think I'd be entitled to any help, but I did get something. I think on their website you can find out how much you could be entitled to, taking into account your family income. Even if you only get something to help towards study materials, it's better then nothing :thumbsup:

Thanks Mouse. I will give it a go! I am familiar with the Student Finance site, as DD1 has just finished her 1st year at Uni and we have supported her application. (Actually, it's on my to do list to do this year's application - she keeps nagging me :blush: )

Mouse - could you put up the link again for your course? It may be useful for the others considering this course, but I don't know how to post links :o

Mouse
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Mouse. I will give it a go! I am familiar with the Student Finance site, as DD1 has just finished her 1st year at Uni and we have supported her application. (Actually, it's on my to do list to do this year's application - she keeps nagging me :blush: )

Mouse - could you put up the link again for your course? It may be useful for the others considering this course, but I don't know how to post links :o

lol! DS1 has just finished his 2nd year and I did the application for his next year a couple of months ago. I'm not normally that organised, but I had the email through saying I could do it, so I did it straight away before he could start nagging :laughing:

This is the link for the E-Learning 2yr Foundation Degree from Glyndwr University. Definitely worth a look if anyone is interested.

http://www.newi.ac.uk/en/Undergraduatecourses/TheLearningandDevelopmentofBabiesandYoungChildren/

green puppy
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
hi im thinking about doing fd with ou but don't seem to be able to find information on how to go about doing it, what is there web site please? x

Just google "open university" or phone 0845 300 60 90, this is what I did and asked them to send me a prospectus and the registration forms for E100 the first module.