PDA

View Full Version : do over 8's exist?!

moogster1a
07-07-2011, 07:14 PM
hypothetically, if I were to have an inspection due and didn't want one of the over 8 mindees there ( due to hypothetical child being a hypothetical nightmare ) am i allowed to get my husband to clear off with her. With permission from her parents of course, but does she exist as far as OFSTED are concerned or do they really not care who is in charge of her as she is over 8 ( hypothetically speaking of course!)

alwaysright
07-07-2011, 08:03 PM
ofsted make a note of all children on role and their ages and dont forget they can check your attendance record. so i would say that they still count, if your husband is registered and isnt being inspected at the same time there is no reason why they counldnt go out as long as you are left with other children. when i had a inspection a few years ago the nightmare was my own daughter....so i had to palm her off to my friends for the day, she wasnt on obviously in any attendance records and i explained her aunty wanted to take her out for the day!! :laughing:

Happy Bunny
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Can I admit to getting my sons dad to take him out LOL
He has ADHD and the thought of having him here whilst I was being inspected filled me with dread, so off he went on an outing.
I am due an inspection this year and I intend to have him here, purely for the reason that he will chat away till the cows come home, with a bit of luck they might not stay long LOL

little chickee
08-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I beleive that your hubby could only take the mindee out if he is also registered. otherwise no. It would be no different than letting any old who take your mindees.

pinkbutterfly
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I would say if it an arrangement between your husband and the parents and he's not being paid for the care then it's fine.

VINASOL
08-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I beleive that your hubby could only take the mindee out if he is also registered. otherwise no. It would be no different than letting any old who take your mindees.

This is interesting because i thought that you did not have to be registered to care for over 8's therefore it wouldn't matter if someone was not registered as your assistant or anything like that becuase although those of us (like myself) are registered on the voluntary register, it is exactly that voluntary????

The reason that I say this is because my husband often takes my son and mindee (9) across to the park on their own for half an hour or sometimes an hour (with parents' permission of course).

So, I would have said it would have been OK

(edited to say): I've just rang Ofsted and gave them a scenario of my DH taking my 9yr old mindee across the park (and DH is not registered) and Ofsted have said because mindee is over 8 then he does not 'matter' to my registration, and it is perfectly fine to go out without me). Hope this helps.

moogster1a
08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
i was assuming / hoping that anyone could look after them as they are over 8. Thanks for clarifying it with OFSTED. Husband and hypothetical child might go and have a long walk during inspection!

Lady Haha
08-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow,this is really interesting! Most of mine are over 8 now!!! This opens up all sorts of possibilities!!! Just a shame I haven't got a hubby to take them all off to the park really!!!

Back to square one!:laughing:

mandy moo
09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Off topic a bit but as I understand it, might be wrong here, as an over 8, if his behaviour is such, that it is detremental <sp> or impacts on any children you may have in the EYFS, Ofsted would not be pleased if they were to find out.

nic t
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
You see I have always treated over 8s in the same way that I do unders as in my responsibility and if I am getting paid to mind them then they wouldn't be allowed off with for example my husband.

This thread makes interesting reading.

Happy Bunny
09-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Off topic a bit but as I understand it, might be wrong here, as an over 8, if his behaviour is such, that it is detremental <sp> or impacts on any children you may have in the EYFS, Ofsted would not be pleased if they were to find out.

I had this discussion with my co-ordinator, yes if their behaviour is to the extreme that it effects the welfare (safety) of younger children than yes, but on the other hand why should a child be discriminated against because they have a problem.
So far I have looked after 4 children with various behavioural issues, it has never caused an issue with younger children in my care.
I think it proves to Ofsted how we can effectively manage behaviour in all ages.

moogster1a
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm being a trifle harsh on my hypothetical girl. She's not at all detrimental to the others but would make an inspection much easier if I wasn't intevening in her and her younger brother arguing non stop.
I agree though. Any over 8's that negatively impacted on the little ones I'm afraid I'd give notice to.