PDA

View Full Version : I need help to get organised!

Minstrel
07-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I'll admit it here- I'm a bit of a rubbish CM at the moment. Not in terms of giving time to the children but my organisation skills have a lot to be desired and i always seem to be playing catch up. My planning for activites is fine and we are always busy and routines kept to (ie lunch at 12, nappy changes done and naps at the right time etc)

BUT

I'm the one at toddler group with 3 wipes left in the packet to last 3 under 3's the whole two hours :rolleyes: or no clean beakers left so i have to wash up before the school run, invoices going out the day before i need them paid so i end up giving an extra weeks grace.

HELP!!!

(I have 3 under 3 every day plus 2 after schoolers, many part time)

appleblossom
07-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not terrifically organised but am quite good with the points you have raised; only through practice mind you.

I have two children in nappies. I bought two of the PE type bags- simple drawstring ones for about £2.00. Two different colours. These bags will hang like backpacks on my double buggy handles and they go on there quite early in the morning. Bonus point:these bags generally have a name card to complete and slot in. I put the mindee's names on and have noticed that they now recognise their names when they see them in other places because of this).

I keep one change of clothes, several nappies, the pack of wipes and nappy bags in each one. I keep a full pack of nappies for each child in the cupboard in the downstairs bathroom. Each night I top up the nappies in each bag. Then it's ready to pick up as we go out anywhere. When the pack of wipes in use is over half empty I ask parent for new pack. The new pack then goes in the bag when the current one is about three quarters used. (I just pop it in when doing the nappy top up.

I myself carry a messenger type bag containing money, phone, small first aid kit, tissues, business cards, small box of breadsticks and identity bracelets

I always take drinks out with me and make them up when getting the breakfast drinks ready. The going out drinks then go in the nappy bags so not forgotten. All the children have three cups so there is usually one clean. I don't have a dishwasher so I have to wash as I go except at the end of the day.

I find I have to do all this like an automaton, everything in the same order every morning otherwise something gets missed. In this way it becomes second nature.

I can't help with invoices. I just type mine up about two weeks before and send them by email a week before. One parent pays in vouchers so hers has to be sent early. Being short of funds towards the end of the month does assist in reminding me to send the invoices out, as all my parents pay monthly on the 1st of the month.

Flisspaps
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I have a cleaning and to-do schedule. There's a daily one, a weekly one and a monthly/two monthly one.

The daily one is basic things like load and unload the dishwasher.

The weekly one covers things like check changing bag and wash highchair covers in the machine.

The monthly one is things like do invoices.

miss mopple
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Haha I know the feeling :laughing:

I'm getting better though :thumbsup:

Invoices are NEVER late as I cant afford not to get paid

I try to clear the dishes etc as we go, especially after lunch. I keep a big box with lots of cups etc in it so never run out of clean ones ;)

I keep a bag with a spare set of clothes for each child, nappies and wipes and its ready to go if we go out (although did forget suncream this week so now need to add that to the bag)

Also keep a pack of wipes in the car for emergencies.

Its all just a case of getting in a good routine I think.

I am rubbish at keeping my paperwork up to date though :blush: :blush:

caz3007
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I try and think ahead and pack and sort stuff either night before or in the morning before LO's arrive.

Breakfast on the days I do it, is all set out on the table. Drinks made for later, dinner decided. I have a bag packed by the door as at the moment I only have full time Lo and the rest come on different days but bring their own bags already packed, so if we go out, its a case of bunging on the buggy, so usually I can find wipes even have to borrow out of another bag :laughing:

I have so may cups and bowls now that we managed to fit a large toy box size RUB and chuck them all in there as got fed up of being hit on the head every time I opened the cupboard

Minstrel
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I thought taking a bag out for each child would be too much stuff to carry so i got one bag and have to keep changing it each day depending on the children i have. (too much work isn't it!)

Do you really take spare clothes out with you? I do if i have a newly potty trained child but not as a general rule.

Well handy tips so far and i have a list-

Buy more lidded beakers
Wipes/tissues in car
Cleaning schedule

I've also just read another thread where a CM was putting together a box for the car with lots of provisions in so that sounds good too.

miss mopple
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I do take a change of clothes for each but 2 out of 3 of mine are potty training and the other os a mess magnet :laughing:

Minstrel
07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm lucky as the mum of my full timer loves it when he goes home messy (mad woman! ;) )

Mrs Book
07-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Love my car as it has loads of storage. So in my floor storage I have nappies & nappy bags. Then in the glove box I have wetwipes, hand spray and spare inhaler for my son. Just put in there an emergency contact book. Also have a space between my front seats that is just the right size for tissues. Then when my friend returns it I will put the travel potty back in there as well.

Sometimes feel I have as much in the car as I do in the house.:laughing: :laughing:

jumpinjen
07-07-2011, 09:06 PM
hey there.... i have a rucksack that I take for all children..... even if you have different ones on different days, if you try to pack it up the night before (maybe ask parents to provide packet of nappies and few packs of wipes at a time instead of bag diving every morning) then bag is always ready.... with first aid kit, emergency contacts, hand gel, sun cream etc.

Keep a diary and write ahead of time when each invoice due then star a day the week before and make sure it's done.

Doubling up on equipment is good too...... so some for the car, some for you going out bag, some for the house etc etc..... as well as for plates and cups so if you don't have time to wash them then you have fresh for the next snack/meal and can wash altogether at the end of the day.

Getting organised is hard work at first but well worth the effort as much less stressful than playing catchup and forgetting things!

If it all seems overwhelming then pick one thing to organise every week and add in a bit at a time!

Good luck, Jen x

caz3007
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm lucky as the mum of my full timer loves it when he goes home messy (mad woman! ;) )

One of my mums commented that her child was returned clean, lately she has been returned in a right mess :clapping: Not through me doing anything different, just the fact she likes to get her food everywhere

Minstrel
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Ok I'm putting together a box of supplies which we might need in the case of emergencies/breakdown or just generally useful etc.

So far i have

Spare nappies
Wipes
Tissues
First aid kit
Bottle of water
Blanket

Any other ideas?

jumpinjen
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
packet of snack bars?

Jen x

Minstrel
09-07-2011, 04:08 PM
packet of snack bars?

Jen x

Oh good one thanks!

helendee
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I am mostly fine with everyday organisation but I am MILES behind with all my paperwork... I am so rubbish with EYFS but great with the children (I feel)!!:(

mushpea
09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I also have 3 under 5's each day plus 2 schoolies and my own 2 who are 12 and 10yrs'
all the children have their own little rucksacks with thier own nappies, wipes, spare cloths, diary and cup in which they bring and take home each day and the parents pack these and they carry them when we are out if they are old enough to walk a good distance ie to toddler group
I dont do invoices, my parents that pay weekly know the amount they pay and so I keep a record of what they pay but dont invoice them unless the request it,, my monthly parents I put a reminder in my phone for a week before and then do their invoice,
their folders and diarys I do when they are playing happily which is usualy after the school run when the older ones are here and they all play happily together meaning I can supervise whilst doing paperwork.
the only thing I am hopless at is doing my accounts cause I can never face doing it!

singingcactus
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Minstrel I have these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/GELERT-WATERPROOF-COVER-CAMPING-HIKING/dp/B001SQ8RVO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1310244200&sr=8-5) one for each day, set up as I need. So as I leave the house on a Monday, going wherever I am scheduled to go on a Monday, I grab Mondays bag. It has everything in it that I will need for the children and places I have/go on a Monday. Then on Tuesday I grab Tuesdays bag etc. Each Sunday evening as part of my getting the house ready routine I refill as necessary.
As for cups, all my kids here get is water and they use their cup all day and I just rinse and refill.
Invoices I offer a rate that makes working out invoices easy, and one of my parents who uses irregular hours works it out and pays into my bank all by herself and then lets me know how much she's paid me lol.
Oh, another thing I do is I place 4-5 wipes in a nappy bag, which I then tuck inside each clean nappy in the bags so that everything I need for each change in is one tidy bundle. And then I keep a few extra wipes for hands etc.

bambinos95
09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Thats a great idea, think i might have to do something like that to help me get organised.

I often feel that its my paperwork that gets left aswell, Im glad im not the only one.

love381
10-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Ok I'm putting together a box of supplies which we might need in the case of emergencies/breakdown or just generally useful etc.

So far i have

Spare nappies
Wipes
Tissues
First aid kit
Bottle of water
Blanket

Any other ideas?

Books/small toys to keep them entertained?
CD story for the car?

x

gegele
10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
for the money i have sorted the problem as all parents pay me by direct debit. we work out for the year (some 6month) so it's the same money due every month. only need the original invoice and that's it!

for the paperwork i cannot give advise as i'm always so lllaaaate putting things on writting!!

i need a stick and magic bowl like dumbledore!!
:D

miffy
10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Do you invoice monthly or weekly?

If it's weekly then I'd see if you can change to monthly in advance so you only need to do them once a month.

If the charges are the same every month then could you ask parents to pay by standing order into your bank account - any adjustments could be made by cheque/cash but at least you would get most of your money paid on time each month.

Miffy xx

Trouble
10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Sounds to me you need a holiday to recharge your batteries thats all:D