PDA

View Full Version : Another payment problem

JennyM
07-07-2011, 08:59 AM
I have been looking after a three year old girl part time since April. We have new hours sorted from September and recently signed a contract for these hours.

She has changed the hours a couple of times due to her Uni changing her dates and I have always gone out of my way to accommodate her where possible.

Last week her daughter was supposed to come to me on Thursday from 9-4. However, the night before her Mum came round and said she was sending her daughter on her nursery trip so she wouldn't be coming to me. She paid me in full for that day and I thought nothing more of it.

Last night, she Emailed me and asked me to look after her daughter from 9-4 next week, using the money she paid me last week.

I replied explaining that as I was available to work I had to have that money as payment for last week and it couldn't be carried over. I also reminded her that it states in the contract that she pays me for occasional absences, sick days etc.

She has replied saying I should have said this last week and she is 'definitely not paying you when you haven't worked'.

I replied again that it is in the contract. That my setting is the same as a nursery. I said we needed to resolve this but haven't heard anymore.

I don't know if I should to collect her daughter tonight or not.

What should I do?

Mouse
07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I would try phoning & get it sorted out before it gets any worse.

Explain that she is paying for the space being available for her daughter, not for the hours you have actually worked. So, as the space was available, she needs to pay for it. Ask her if she would like you to go through the contract again just to make sure she fully understands what it says.

Goatgirl
07-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi :),
Has she said anything about this week?
If today's collection is part of contracted hours I'd collect as usual unless I'd been informed differently. And charge as usual whether you are needed or not once you get there.

As far as I can see there is nothing to resolve really. Its a bit late to be arguing over the details of the contract: she should have read it when she signed! She can pay up or one of you can give notice. Maybe see what happens today and you'll have a clearer idea of the situation.

hope it works out for you :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

JennyM
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes, today is contracted hours.

She normally pays me in cash on Thursday evening for Thursday and Friday's hours. I think I will just go and collect her daughter as usual tonight and if she doesn't pay me will take it from there. (her older daughter gives me the money, I hardly ever see the Mum).

Why is it always so hard?

mushpea
07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I would collect her as usual and if she dosent pay you then remind her of the contract that she signed and if she still wont pay then give notice,, I have just stopped having a child because parent was a bad payer and they never get any better !

The Juggler
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
collect her as normal. phone her if she doesn't agree to pay and then tell her if she refuses to pay it no further care until it's paid.:angry:

JennyM
07-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies, just wanted to update you quickly.

I phoned her and we had a chat about it. She thinks I should have mentioned it at the time but I said as it was in the contract she signed, I thought she was aware.

Anyway, it was fine and we put it down as a misunderstanding. Her daughter is here now and she has paid me so all is fine.

Such a relief!

Thanks again.

kats
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I have had so many problems over the years with contracts that parents dont actually read so now when i take on a new mindee i ask the parents to come round one evening and we fill the contract in together and read it word for word so i then know that they have read and understood it and not just signed it.:)

Pipsqueak
07-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Glad its gotten resolved however even if you HAVE explained it to them and its there in black and white some clients just never get it:rolleyes: