PDA

View Full Version : Ratios etc

jenniewren
06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi I'm very new to the childminding process, went to an information session last week and have the forms ready to fill in.

I'm a little unclear on a couple of things.

My ds is 2yrs 4 months, and my dd is 8 months. We plan to have another fairly soon as we would like 3, but I am 37 so we don't want to leave it too long. So we will probably have 3 under 5 of our own.

If I start childminding asap I know that I could have one child under 5 and 3 5-8 yr olds, until number 3 comes along, when I'd go on maternity leave and have to start again with new mindees.

I've read that OFSTED can make exceptions to the ratio rule for siblings - how likely is it that they would allow me to have 4 under 5's if my eldest was at nursery (once he was 3 & receiving funding) for 15 hours plus? So DS at nursery 15 hrs + and 3 under 5's at home with me - 2 my own, and one other.

Also I read that children who go to school are counted as being over 5 even if they are not yet 5. Does that mean that once my eldest is at school full time, I would be able to have another under 5 child at home full time? Or only for the time he was at school?

It may be that I just have to concentrate on having older children after school for the time being, until ds is in yr 1? Seems a long time to wait before I can cater for 0-5s, but then I guess family decisions come first, and the rest will fit in somehow!

Hope that makes sense
Thanks

sarah707
06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
It is unlikely that you will be allowed a variation straight away without any previous history of childminding or Ofsted grading.

So if you decide to have a baby in the not too distant future all your under 5 spaces will be full.

Yes once a child is at full time school they are classed as 5 for the purposes of your ratios. That includes when they are on holiday.

Hth :D

rainbowgarden
08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I have 3 children aged 5,4,1. my newly registered and am allowed 1 under 5 and 2 under 8's. but when my 4year old is in full-time school am allowed another under 5.
:)

Goatgirl
08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
HI :),
In answer to your query about siblings - what I think you're referring to is the likelihood that Ofsted will grant a variation on continuity grounds. This would apply, for instance, if you cared for a child, then the child (1) left, you filled the space with another child (2) and then child (1) wanted to return.

Or for instance i have 2 schoolies who have a newborn sibling and I've been asked to childmind him after Christmas. Parents can't afford a retainer, but I'm hoping if I do fill the space in the meantime (can't afford to turn others away) that Ofsted would grant me a variation to increase my under 5's to over 5's ratio for reasons of continuity of care :thumbsup:

There are no guarantees though, each case is individual and you would have to show how you would accommodate all the childrens' needs at all times :)

I personally think it very unlikely that Ofsted would refuse a variation for a child already started with you who would take you over your numbers if you had your own newborn and they wanted to return after the maternity leave.....

Hope you can work something out :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

jenniewren
13-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks ladies for your replies.
We've come up with a plan to wait a bit til having no.3 baby so I can get registered and established, then by the time I've finished maternity leave ds will be at school. If all goes to plan of course!
Jenx

Goatgirl
14-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Glad you sorted it out - its good to have a plan :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)