PDA

View Full Version : Bit Disruptive .. Your advice?

nicaukids
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Hello
Been minding for a couple of weeks now - Got 2 yo G and 7 yo B (bro&sis) + my own 2 yo daughter.
Had G on her own during 2 weeks of spring holiday & B started - term time only.

G has become disruptive when Mum collects. Gets stroppy, wont put shoes on nor coat. Shouts and hits mum. Opens front door (when she knows she's not allowed - she doesn't do this with me).

Have done a stern look and word to Girl - but the Mum looks at me in horror :rolleyes:
Got 3 storey house with living room and kitchen on first floor - but managed to get her downstairs "to feed the dog" in time before Mum arrived last time.
This might work ... if I get timings right.
But you know when you need it to happen, it generally doesnt :angry:
Any advice would be really apprecited.
Thanks

fionamal
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I have one like that as well.

Got the knack of it now and the dad collects roughly the same time everyday so have her shoes on and jacket at the ready for the door bell to go and then grab her jacket and take her and jacket to the door and put jacket on her as I open the door shes she ready.

Michelle M
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I do the same as Fiona :)

sarah707
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I've had a few like this over the years... it's perfectly normal... it's like they are punishing parents for not being there, even when they've had a wonderful time with you!

Your house, your rules, your way of speaking to them until they leave... be in control and in charge just as you would if mum wasn't there.

They are playing you off looking for a bit of leeway... look, mum's here, I can do what I want now... and you need to be clearly saying 'no, you can't'... sometimes you will find you sound like a broken record...

Good luck! :D

chez1373
02-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I thought it was just me with this problem

I take the children home so when we get there the little play up big time... i dont know what to do do i try and stop him or do i just say ok bye??

Its not my house and to be fair not in my care either but mum is at the end of her teather with it and its only started since i got involved with the family??
Is this my fault?

The children love it with me and complain when goin home?
Sorry for askin for advice on someone elses thread..

sarah707
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
No it's not your fault... some children just do it. I have one at the moment - starts screaming and shouting and throwing his shoes around. Parents come at varying times so I can't have him ready.

I would suggest you drop and run - talk to mum later by email or phone or send a book with notes in it, so you don't have to get into conversation.

Good luck! :D

chez1373
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I have tried the daily diary and mum used to leave them in my car or say she forgot to read it so i feel i have to stay and chat to make sure she knows what they have done

I have done the drop and run tatic but mum didnt speak to me for a week and was very off with me so i never done it since,,

nicaukids
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all advice... really nice [?] to know that I'm not the only one in this position :(

BTW: Is drop & run ... drop them at front door and run away [screaming]?
:eek:

wendywu
02-05-2008, 11:52 PM
This is so common we have all had it, they do things that they know they are not allowed to. You just have to be firm with them. :angry:

Teresa
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
i have got one like this too, me and mum have made the arrangement that she calls me about two minutes before she arrives i then get the childs shoes and coat on and then we wait at the top of my drive watching for mummy. he is then popped into the car without any fuss. then if we need to chat about anything we phone each other or chat on drop off in a morning.

disney
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
i also have this with one 3yrold and one 5yr old & its true when they are with me they are well behaved but as soon as mum comes they are not :( it gets very frustrating at times but i just try to do my hand overs as quick as i can. i think this is common for alot of chilminders as i can rember talking about it on one of my courses