PDA

View Full Version : Sickness

cupcake76
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum but have read lots of helpful info in the past.
I am writing for a bit of advice!!
Minded child 1 has a member of family with a sickness that is contagious. My family and minded child 2 have caught many sick bugs/viruses from mindee 1, as his mum isn't great on keeping him away when sick.
I have pre warned mindee mum 2 that its possible the children are all going to get this virus and she is so annoyed that she may not be able to bring her child to me because of mindee 1 (AGAIN) as she loses out on pay as do I.
I know minded mum 1 can bring her child if he 'seems' ok but I feel I need to say something to her about being vigilant with sickness as it impacts more than just her family but how do I say it? I have a headache I've thought about it so much this morning. Any help would be great. Thank u

JCrakers
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I would just print out your terms and conditions on illnesses again and give them to her.

"Can I just give you a copy of these just to remind you about keeping little one at home if he is ill. Can I just stress the fact thats its very important for me to follow these to keep myself and other children well"

:D

Becky

Pipsqueak
06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
First of all i would be extremely careful passing comment and information like you have to minded child 2 parents. This could potentially be considered a breach of confidentiality and professionalism.

I would do a stern worded newsleter reminding everyone of your policy and attach your policy to it and perhaps even a link the the health protection agency information.

I would strongly point out that if you become ill and have to close not only is it a loss of income for you but also loss of childcare/income for other families. Blah blah and so on.

If she still doesn't 'get it' then yes I would be having a strong word and perhaps issuing a 'warning'.

cupcake76
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Thank you for the advice. My Daughter woke up with the virus this morning, so after a couple of text messages (and me ringing her but no answer) she has decided to hand in her 4 weeks notice!
I tried to put across that although she has to work, I cannot care for sick children (her son had a temperature and signs of rash by home time). There was never any apology for the fact that since Dec my family have had 5 illnesses due to her bringing her son round when sick. I cant stand that people take advantage when your nice but have a chip on shoulder when you raise a problem!

Andrea08
07-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I too use news letters to remind parents of any policies and procedures etc, but i do warn othere parents of family sickness so they can "Watch out" for it at home like chicken pox etc

unless said child is ill we can not exclude but remind parents if said child becomes ill he/she will be excluded there fore safeguarding all others using your service and yourself.

reassure parent 2 that all is well and not to worry as child 1 is still well and fit to attend and if he was to become ill he will be excluded so her child is safe

i hve same problems and im so cross that one family just never listens to me, i had to close for 8 days over two weeks because the sickness hit every member of my family and we all lost out on wages!!!

im thnking of doing a "Policy/Procedure Re-Visit info" thingi in every news letter so july .... remember clothing for all weathers and sun cream, permissions and hats etc
aug... safeguarding policy (as there are changes in my LA)
Sept.... sickness policy.... ready for school ... transitions etc

good luck

Goatgirl
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
It is very frustrating - think this has worked out for the best though. Hopefully you will replace them soon with a considerate family :thumbsup: :)