PDA

View Full Version : v. interesting thread

moogster1a
06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Just goes to show, not only is it v.v. difficult getting other settings to share, but looking at this, the vast majority or parents really don't want us to! Do you think common sense will ever prevail at OFSTED?

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1251357-to-find-it-interfering-and-even-slightly-sinister-that-my-childminder-wants-to-communicate-with-the-school

Pipsqueak
06-07-2011, 07:05 AM
but SO much research and models in other countries points to the benefits of parental involvement and settings sharing information.

And the idea that childminders aren't 'educational' is totally bonkers - you might as well say - oh well parents don't educate their child - YET the EYFS insists that parents are first and foremost educators.

Once over children stayed home with mum and learnt SO much - children never learn faster than in the first five years and ergo we generally have such youngsters - therefore we can and do provide education.

to me it makes sense to see the schools planning and rather than bust our own chops and give the child TONS of other stuff we might as well work closely with the school. however I do think that for children already doing a 5.5hr day at school - once they come back to yours its time of chill/wind down

moogster1a
06-07-2011, 07:13 AM
TBH I think both sides have got the wrong end of the stick. The CM i think is going a bit OTT wanting lesson plans I ask for newsletters, general topics and ask how the reading's gong etc.
the parent seems a bit overboard in not wanting any communication between school and CM.
I think maybe the sealed envelope with no explanation was a bad idea!

nokidshere
06-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Its no surprise though is it?

after a full day at school most children simply want to wind down and do their own thing - especially when they are so young. I do not see the need for sharing information with anyone other than the parent.

Why do we need to know what the child is doing in school?

I only care for after schoolies now. They come back, slob on the sofa for a bit, get a second wind, then find something to play with and then go home. There is simply no need to be doing any specific planning for them when they have had a full structured day at school.

Its like saying we should do a whole day at work and then do some more when we get home when all we want to do is put our feet up and have a cuppa.

blue bear
06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Child I had in reception, the teacher put the lesson plans up on the wall each week so everyone could see, I would link in but just with fun bits eg transport topic we had our tea on a train one day after school.

Good on this childminder for trying, can't see any teachers doing what she is

emmadines
06-07-2011, 08:18 AM
nothing like a little bit of scaremongering.....there's quiet a few who like to cause parents concern isnt there

I dont like this at all. You will have to watch her and make sure she does not overstep the mark. I had a very bad experience with my childminder who over the years took more and more liberties. When I finally let her go for financial reasons, I found out that she was letting my ex husband into my house when I was at work, where he could leisurely root around my stuff. She then took legal advice on whether she could attempt to get visiting rights! There are nutters out there.

why would a childminder have a key to her house??

However,I do believe the childminder went about it all wrong(a sealed envelope) surely it would have been better to ask the parent to ask the teacher if that's what the childminder wanted to do, would have avoided it all being taken out of context!! and :censored: whats sinistor about all this????

JulieA
06-07-2011, 11:11 AM
My local primary provide me with a termly document which shows what areas they are following - maybe they are looking at holidays, travel agents, etc, for Reception - broken down into the six areas of learning. When I pick up the teacher verbally may say X did a lovely picture today of .....

I will then provide some activities at my house, building on from this. I also may listen to the child read, or practise their phonics, numeracy. I always mark it in the child's home record book so mum and teacher can see.

That is it. Nothing sinister, or officially documented BUT Ofsted was happy with that when I showed Mrs O.

Babycat
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
wow people really value CMs lol
'someone who knows their way around a fish finger sandwich' lovely that!! not!! :-|

Flisspaps
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
The thread made me really cross yesterday, but thinking on, all the parents of my mindees want really is 'someone bosomly who knows their way around a fishfinger sandwich', and I can provide that for the older children, and the extras I need to for Ofsted and the EYFS. They're not bothered in the slightest by the EYFS.

Every parent wants something different - on Mumsnet last week there was a thread by a parent who was FURIOUS that her CM took her children to Matalan to buy some clothes for her own children. She couldn't see any value in going to the shops and wanted her 8&10yo children to seemingly be engaged in educational-only activities.

People pointed out that there is educational value in learning that you can't always get what you want (CM didn't buy anything from Matalan for the minded children) and that CMs offer a home-from-home experience - which might well include shopping trips and appointments. Most were happy with that.

The Juggler
07-07-2011, 10:54 AM
TBH I think both sides have got the wrong end of the stick. The CM i think is going a bit OTT wanting lesson plans I ask for newsletters, general topics and ask how the reading's gong etc.
the parent seems a bit overboard in not wanting any communication between school and CM.
I think maybe the sealed envelope with no explanation was a bad idea!

she probably doesn't want all the lesson plans just an idea of the topics maybe. How harsh are these mums' being calling the CM bonkers though :panic:

Hebs
07-07-2011, 11:57 AM
ok ok who is chabbychic, cos that reply had me falling about laughing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

isnt it funny how teacher fail to see that them REFUSING to communicate with us is in breach of EYFS!!!