PDA

View Full Version : Top tips for initial parent/child meetings!

Lear
05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I've just started to advertise and have a few parents coming to see my setting to meet me (with the potential mindees).

Can you please share your tips on how to impress both the parents and children? I'm feeling like I did when I was fresh out of college and going for all those job interviews!

sarah707
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Stop and think before you answer... I have a tendency to burble when I'm a bit nervous and it really helps to take a breath.

Also if you're not sure about anything it is better to say 'I'll get back to you' than give an answer you might live to regret... especially if money is involved.

Good luck! :D

green4lynn
05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Hiya,

The most important thing is just be yourself! Try and be professional, have relevant paperwork to hand. Have out age appropriate toys for the children coming to visit. Get down on the floor and play with the kids, give them as much attention as possible while still talking to the parents.
Do you have children of your own? Make sure they are not tired or hungry, so hopefully won't play up! (My youngest was 2 when I started minding and spent the whole time bouncing round the furniture, thankfully it didn't put the parents off!)
Make sure your house is clean and tidy, but not too tidy! You don't want parents thinking their children won't be allowed to touch anything or make a mess!
Make sure you have done a risk assessment of your house, and actioned anything that needs sorting.
Don't wear a low cut top, you don't want dad getting an eyeful when you bend down to talk to baby! LOL!

Hope this help, good luck with the visits!

Lynn x

Little steps
14-07-2011, 09:06 PM
when i had my first meeting i set up some toys on the floor in my living room and play room, so it looked welcoming to them.

hope that helps for future visits, but i am sure you will be fine :clapping:

mrs robbie williams
15-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Hiya,

The most important thing is just be yourself! Try and be professional, have relevant paperwork to hand. Have out age appropriate toys for the children coming to visit. Get down on the floor and play with the kids, give them as much attention as possible while still talking to the parents.
Do you have children of your own? Make sure they are not tired or hungry, so hopefully won't play up! (My youngest was 2 when I started minding and spent the whole time bouncing round the furniture, thankfully it didn't put the parents off!)
Make sure your house is clean and tidy, but not too tidy! You don't want parents thinking their children won't be allowed to touch anything or make a mess!
Make sure you have done a risk assessment of your house, and actioned anything that needs sorting.
Don't wear a low cut top, you don't want dad getting an eyeful when you bend down to talk to baby! LOL!

Hope this help, good luck with the visits!

Lynn x

Don't wear a low cut top, you don't want dad getting an eyeful when you bend down to talk to baby! LOL! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mrs robbie williams
15-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Don't wear a low cut top, you don't want dad getting an eyeful when you bend down to talk to baby! LOL! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had a couple come back for a 2nd visit with a 7month old last weekend and i was wearing a top that tied at the shoulders, lo was on my lap and unbeknown to me was happily untying one of the straps, didnt realise until that side fell down :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing:
they still want me though luckily :thumbsup:

Greengrass74
15-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Be confident and proud of your setting, remember you have worked hard to get where you are. :thumbsup: