PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox question

Lorraine B
05-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi i have a mindee who has been in contact with a child a couple of days before there spots appeared, so incubation period of 21 days means we might see spots around then.
If mindee gets them do I then exclude for 5 days (until last spot goes crusty) ?
also my own ds has now been near mindee so the question is if i exclude mindee first for 5 days and then my own son gets spots say the week after would i have to exclude mindee again because my own son has chickenpox ?

I am confused but obviously if my own son is poorly with it (if he gets it) then i would want to just look after him.

Lorraine x

Helen Dempster
05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
My exclusion period is 7 days from the appearance of the rash. In fact, one of my mindees has just returned this week as he's just had chicken pox.

love381
05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
When this sort of thing happened to me - it was exclude mindee until spots were crusty, then son got the spots, but as this mindee was already crusty, she was safe and other parents were given the choice for their children to attend incase they 'got' the spots - simply because they'd all been together for the few weeks prior to first mindee getting spots so quite likely had already got the pox anyway - turns out they all did have pox together too!!!

I think if mindee comes out in spots then you should exclude until they are crusty, and then should your son come out spotty later the choice is yours - if your son is unwell or a bit more needy - needs your cuddles and your attention, then maybe you should close your business, but if your son goes on with day to day things as normal, perhaps you can open as this mindee will already be covered - if you get me! x

Babycat
06-07-2011, 12:57 AM
HPA rec 5days, and thats how long scabbing usually takes, but im sure once one has scabbed its just as safe as them all scabbing as you are out of the infectious stage by then- i hated chicken pox had it twice as a child yuk!! scars bad too! poor littlies x

The Juggler
06-07-2011, 06:21 AM
i would exclude the mindee (unless you just have him and you are happy to not go out) but if your ds gets it I would give parents the choice to bring or not.

Hebs
06-07-2011, 06:33 AM
When this sort of thing happened to me - it was exclude mindee until spots were crusty, then son got the spots, but as this mindee was already crusty, she was safe and other parents were given the choice for their children to attend incase they 'got' the spots - simply because they'd all been together for the few weeks prior to first mindee getting spots so quite likely had already got the pox anyway - turns out they all did have pox together too!!!

I think if mindee comes out in spots then you should exclude until they are crusty, and then should your son come out spotty later the choice is yours - if your son is unwell or a bit more needy - needs your cuddles and your attention, then maybe you should close your business, but if your son goes on with day to day things as normal, perhaps you can open as this mindee will already be covered - if you get me! x

not always hun, my son has had chickenpox 3 times

and i dont exclude for chickenpox AS LONG AS all parents are happy for the mindee to come, if a parent says no, then i exclude BUT if that parents child comes down with chickenpox they DO NOT get the option to bring their child if that makes sense???

Lorraine B
06-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Thankyou for all your replies :)
Now its just the waiting game xxx