PDA

View Full Version : advice???

adele1985
05-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi ive been a self employed childminder for a year now to cut a long story short I worked with another childminder and have decided to do it on my own, all of the children but 1 went with the other childminder for convenience ( i dont drive), anyway the one child who stayed is starting full time school in september so I will be losing him to......I have been advertising but have had no intrest at all. I love my job and love being self employed.................just wanting advice really is there anything else I can do so I can keep being self employed ????

jumpinjen
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Hang in there...... this is a good time of year to get calls as parents think about their LO starting school and going back to work themself etc etc....

have you updated your details with family information services yet?

What is your 'unique selling point'? i.e. can you offer more than others/something different to attract clients?

Advertise on netmums on the childcare board..... get yourself out to lots of playgroups/activities/childminder sessions and network with other minders as that is often a way to get business...... ask them if you can swap numbers to pass on calls that you/they get but can't take on.

Get business cards/print little flyers and leave them in doctors surgeries/notice boards etc etc..... is there a hospitale near you/college etc that you could advertise at?

I found out that I was losing one of mine in the summer when i went on maternity leave and that she wouldn't be returning after.... big panic as I need the money...... no calls for ages but now turning them away and places are fully booked for January.... one even insisting on paying a deposit now rather than my suggestion of October/November.... it will happen, be positive!

Jen x

Goatgirl
05-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Adele :),
sorry to hear things have still not picked up for you.

Are your details on childcare.co.uk? If not, I would register with them - 2 of my mindees were from there. If you already are on there and have a parent or exparent with a profile on the site would they be kind enough to write a review? I just asked my 2 parents to do this for me, but be warned: they'll need to be fully logged in to the site and complete the review within a time limit (30 minutes i think) or it wont appear. I had this problem with both and only one has managed to do it again. I'll recommend copying from a saved word document to anyone I ask in future :cool:

I also have an ad on vivastreet.

And check your details are accurate and up to date with your local authority or whoever provides childcare lists to parents in your area :thumbsup:

Good luck: hope the phone starts ringing soon :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

The Juggler
05-07-2011, 09:45 PM
oh hon, sorry to hear this. i agree, get messaging mums advertising on netmums and childcare that you might be able to help. Also your local schools :thumbsup:

JulieA
06-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Does your local authority provide a Supported Day Care Scheme / Enhanced Provision Scheme. I believe this used to be referred to as Social Services childcare. Where you are paid by the local council to provide a service for children in need in your area.

Greengrass74
06-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Agree with all the above, it is fustrating when the phone NEVER seems to ring, hang in there you WILL get the calls. Have you thought about doing a flyer and delivering them around the local area, shops, nurseries, schools and even houses, worth a go.

Good luck :thumbsup:

adele1985
06-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all of your support...I have put some leaflets out in local shops, churches, schools but still no phone calls :-( even made my own website www.adeleschildminding.com but still no intrest...just really hoping im gonna get some intreat in the next few weeks or im gonna have to start looking for another sourse of income :-(

jane5
06-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Love love love your playroom, I want to come and play in there :D

I have a sign in my car although all my mindees come from childcare.co.uk ot netmums.

Good luck :thumbsup: