PDA

View Full Version : 4y old regression (toileting)

Zoomie
05-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I have a mindee (4 this month) who started about a month ago.

She has had quite a bit of upheaval in the last few months.

Grandmother, major carer, gone home overseas.
Moved house
Started with me.

Also mindee's first language is not English and although she knows lots of english words, but half the time i dont know what she is saying and probably vis versa.

Now she was fine for about the first 2-3 weeks but last week and this week has started to have accidents.

This has happened at nursery and at home also, but I am not sure of frequency.

Anyway, spoke to parents yesterday and we think it might be that she is leaving it to the last minute, so today when she was going upstairs to wash her hands, I said to have a wee.

I asked her when she came downstairs, if she had had a wee and she said yes.

Anyhow a few minutes later I noticed her dress was wet ... so we go upstairs, change etc etc and I notice bathroom floor is wet (right in front of toilet where she has previously had her accidents), so she had her wee ... just not in the toilet, like i had assumed.

Apart from a bit of supervision (ie getting her to sit on the toilet), is there anything else I should do. I am worried it is me, that is making her regress :(

sarah707
05-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Aww bless her it sounds like she is struggling with all the changes in her life.

I would just be really gentle and guide her through the routine and hope she picks it up again quickly.

You could do with finding out what is going on elsewhere... maybe talk to everyone again x

love381
05-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Aww bless, a few upheavels and things can go so wrong for lo's. My nephew did a similar thing when his life was turned upside down.

The only thing that worked for him in the end was to go when 'we all' go. I would do a 'try before we go out' or a 'try before snack/dinner' and if he'd not managed to go in those times we'd also do 'try before playing x'. It would be an ALL try time and worked well in a number of ways!! Even got another lo interested in toilets and then started training etc.

It didn't take too long really, about 3 or 4 weeks and we were back to 'normal'. It was not his fault his entire life had changed, so he was messed up and I was able to care for him and help him out through this time. Perhaps your little mindee might need some gentle reminders of when to go and perhaps a few 'try before we go out' type things might help.

Bless, I hope it gets better for all of you soon. x