PDA

View Full Version : Nursery not sharing!!

buzzy bee
05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
One of my mindees attends a nursery and I've been trying for months to share information and I've just finally got hold of them and they've told me they can't share information with me because I'm in a home setting so I will see totally different things in him to what they will see! She said she can't see what they can possibly share with me that will help Mindee's development.

I don't know what to do about this... I don't want it to affect my Ofsted inspection, and also genuinely want to share info with them to help Mindee's development.

She pretty much told me they don't do any planning. They basically just do photos and WOW obs and she kept waffling to me about communication friendly spaces and learning through play... don't think she realised I know what I'm talking about and I knew she was talking a load of twaddle!!

Any ideas of what I can do would be very welcome!!

rickysmiths
05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
All you can do is record who you spoke to and when and what they have said to you. I'm afraid this attitude is all too common and I think we have to record it and who and the name of the Nurseries so Ofsted can see what is happening.

I have has various reactions over the last three years, including you are not the parent so we can't tell you, we don't do much and the best one was a Nursery who shared right at the end of the school year and proudly showed me blank copies of the forms they used. All the old Ciriculum forms not anything to do with EYFS :rolleyes: :laughing:

the happy house
05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I would put your request in writing to the nursery manager, highlighting the requirements of the EYFS that it relates to, stressing that by not sharing information with you they are not complying with EYFS regulations.
I'd also put in a signed form from the parents, saying they are happy for information to be shared.

I's a pain, and I've heard of childminders who have been graded down in their inspections because of this... even if you show that you have done all you can, if the nursery isn't sharing you're penalised! :censored:

Jods
05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I have had this with another preschool x

So I wrote a note explaining that I had approached them and requested that we shared/passed information between us reguarding ....................... and that THEY had declined, I then got the Nursery manager to sign it, she was not happy about it, but when Ofsted came last month she was perfectly happy with this, and said I had done what I could do x

boxtree7
05-07-2011, 04:10 PM
write to the nursery and ask them to acknowledge receipt of your correspondence. I would include the in accordance with EYFS,I drop of and pick up child B on these days. I do have a letter somewhere which I think was produced by NCMA a few back.

Pipsqueak
05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Now you see that would be red rag to a bull to me!!!

How patronising of them.

I agree - record what has been said and by whom - get them to sign.
Keep for your own records.

Write them a note expressing your disappointment that they have dismissed professional childcare such as yourself and if at any point they feel that they would like to change their minds this is your contact details.

and ENSURE you let ofsted know when they visit!

buzzy bee
05-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I would put your request in writing to the nursery manager, highlighting the requirements of the EYFS that it relates to, stressing that by not sharing information with you they are not complying with EYFS regulations.
I'd also put in a signed form from the parents, saying they are happy for information to be shared.

I's a pain, and I've heard of childminders who have been graded down in their inspections because of this... even if you show that you have done all you can, if the nursery isn't sharing you're penalised! :censored:

Thanks for the advice but I've done this!

Andrea08
05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
agree with above hun,

write it all up as a statement of events and name and shame...

put it this way when ofsted turned up at my setting i mentioned every nursery that did and didnt share info and work in partnership with me..

the "Good" nursery when inspected ....mentioned me :eek: and said how pleased they were for their partnership skills :thumbsup:

good luck when mrs O. turns up xxx

nokidshere
05-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree with the others that you should log who you spoke to and what was said for ofsted to see that you have tried.

However, having said that, I really don't see the point in the sharing of information for any child that is developing normally and doesnt have any special needs or issues. The only people who need to know what the child is doing in both places is the parents. I think its a complete waste of time in most cases. Why do we need to know that a child did drawing today, or said a new word? when they are not in our care they are not our responsibility - we dont need to know unless the parent chooses to pass it on.

We can see for ourelves if the child does something new - we don't need to be there at the time they did it.

I share information only in the context of passing on messages to the parents or if there are any specific worries.

BlondeMoment
05-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I have the same problem. I have nothing to do with the nurseries that my LOs go to so they have no idea who i am and refused to share with me due to confidentiality! I give up. I personally think it's daft enough that us home based settings have to follow the EYFS in the first place so don't even get me started on sharing with other settings. They'll be asking us to fly next! :angry:

Sorry :blush:
Rant over

buzzy bee
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice - I'll make a record of it and put it in writing to the nursery. I don't actually collect or drop Mindee off so don't see them in person.

The Juggler
06-07-2011, 06:22 AM
One of my mindees attends a nursery and I've been trying for months to share information and I've just finally got hold of them and they've told me they can't share information with me because I'm in a home setting so I will see totally different things in him to what they will see! She said she can't see what they can possibly share with me that will help Mindee's development.

I don't know what to do about this... I don't want it to affect my Ofsted inspection, and also genuinely want to share info with them to help Mindee's development.

She pretty much told me they don't do any planning. They basically just do photos and WOW obs and she kept waffling to me about communication friendly spaces and learning through play... don't think she realised I know what I'm talking about and I knew she was talking a load of twaddle!!

Any ideas of what I can do would be very welcome!!

ask her given what the EYFS says, what does she think ofsted would have to say about her comments :laughing: :panic:

The Juggler
06-07-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree with the others that you should log who you spoke to and what was said for ofsted to see that you have tried.

However, having said that, I really don't see the point in the sharing of information for any child that is developing normally and doesnt have any special needs or issues. The only people who need to know what the child is doing in both places is the parents. I think its a complete waste of time in most cases. Why do we need to know that a child did drawing today, or said a new word? when they are not in our care they are not our responsibility - we dont need to know unless the parent chooses to pass it on.

We can see for ourelves if the child does something new - we don't need to be there at the time they did it.

I share information only in the context of passing on messages to the parents or if there are any specific worries.

I disagree hon, I have a quiet mindee (and in the past) and I know she is far more confident and displays far more skills here than she ever would at nursery. In the past my mindee had speech delay but was very clever but I felt got a little written off due to his speech when in fact watched closely he had amazing mathematical skills.

I have always shared their progress during the year (for wow moments) and at end of year before they go up to reception. This year nursery asked me if I had anything in the LJ I felt would be useful for their assessment :clapping: :clapping: I had done a report which I gave them but I lent them the LJ so they could photocopy what they wanted for their class folder (I have permission for open 3 way communication from mum).

I think it can work but nurseries have a poor view of us unfortunately:(