PDA

View Full Version : Environmental health hmm bit confused :S

Emily'bubbles
05-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I had a knock on my door about an hour ago off environmental health, showed me her I.D etc and asked if I was a childminder and how many children I had :S I than explained that I was still waiting to be registered ect. She asked how many children I was likely to have and that she had me as already registered :S she came in looked at the menu I had in place, in my fridge etc BUT this is the bit I dont get she said because im planning on cooking chicken and other joints of meat that I needed TWO sinks! One for washing the meat and one for washing hands! Is this plausable has anyone else been told this? I mean I was going to use a sepreate bowl for washing there hands, anti-bacterial gel or even wet wipes am I wrong? :huh:

aly
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
you are a home setting not a nursery etc wehre i could understand it...

that doesnt sound right to me.....ask her if she is willing to pay for havign a new kitchen etc!!

JCrakers
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
No this isnt right.
You are providing food in your home, how are you supposed to fit another sink in? :rolleyes:

Did she turn up unannounced?
When thye came to see me the chap was only here 10mins. Said I needed a fridge thermometer and that was it.

Becky

AliceK
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM
In a proper food business yes but not for us childminders. I think she has got her wires crossed. I have been inspected by EH and that was never mentioned although she did ask where the children washed their hands.

xxxx

Flisspaps
05-07-2011, 12:29 PM
It is not necessary to wash meat - in fact, the splashback that can occur can pose a threat.

Any bacteria on the meat will be killed through proper cooking.

I think she appears to be talking out of her hat. I'd phone and ask for clarification. Strange that she had you as already registered, I had to register with the EH Dept completely separately to registering as a CM.

christine e
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I do know a childminder who was pulled up on this. If you are a member of NCMA I suggest you give them a call for advice or contact your development officer for advice

Cx

wendywu
05-07-2011, 12:48 PM
:) I think what she means is that hands shold be washed in the toilet basin and sinks in the kitchen are for food prep only. :)

Pipsqueak
05-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Some EH are interpreting food hygiene for minders as the same as bigger businesses.

i would ring eH and tell them to check their facts with NCMA.

QualityCare
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I had the same said when environmental health first started inspecting our premises, for this reason l stopped cooking meals for the children, l provide snacks and sandwiches or parents can provide meals to be reheated.

vix84
05-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I had the same said when environmental health first started inspecting our premises, for this reason l stopped cooking meals for the children, l provide snacks and sandwiches or parents can provide meals to be reheated.

Do you still need to be registered with them for re-heating and storage? I am just returning to childminding and need to let e. health know but Im asking parents to supply food.

So would we need to go upstairs to wash our hands too?! I do have a sink and middle sink bit I could use

sarah707
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Childminders have their own version of the booklet 'Safer Food Better Business' to follow and it does not ask us to have 2 sinks...

I tried in vain some time ago now to get an answer about hand washing from both Ofsted and Environmental Health that was consistent and helpful. It seems to depend on who inspects you :rolleyes: