PDA

View Full Version : Question re mindee not using days

AliceK
05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi

I have a mindee who is before and after school (not all week but contracted days) and if it's school hols / inset days etc then mum obviously pays for the full day. I charge 50% fee for childs hols providing I have been given minimum of 4 weeks notice. Mum has recently told me that he won't be coming at all during summer hols as he is either with relatives or going to a holiday club. She will obviously have to still pay me the 50% fee and in this case I have only charged her 50% of the before and after school price NOT the full day price, but my question is can I then take on another child to cover his days? What if mum suddenly asks if I can have him on one of the days and I have already booked someone else in but she has still paid her 50%. Am I allowed to do this or does the 50% fee mean I would HAVE to keep the space/hours open just in case?
Sorry if I've confused things :blush:

xxxxx

Flisspaps
05-07-2011, 09:43 AM
If it's a retainer that you are charging, then it is to 'retain' the place for her ie, if she wants to use the hours they will be available.

Tealady
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
If she is paying then you have to have it available.

However, if I was in your shoes and somebody approached me wanting the slot then I would be inclined to speak to Mum of current mindee. Explain that you have a potential booking and as this is more lucrative than 50% of an afterschool space you'd like to take it. There you are asking if shs is happy that the space won't be there on those days and you will refund the retainer she is paying for those days the other child will be coming.

Don't refund anything though until the other family have signed.

Curvylou
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
If you have only taken a retain for the before and after school times, I would speak to the mum first to check that she won't be using you and then you can either take on someone between those times (9am - 3pm or whatever your hours are) or if you have someone lined up, if they only want you for hols then don't charge the mum the retainer for b&A school and tell her that you can't have her child over the summer (as per her arrangement) but you will start before and after school for them in Sept....and take on the holiday cover child.

Hope that made sense...

wendywu
05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
No you see to my way of thinking they are holding the place over the holidays to be taken up again in the term time. Other wise with no payment during holidays you could turn round just before term starts and say sorry the place is no longer there. But this is with term time only

If they want to hold a full time place all the holidays then they pay for the full day.

Also in your case i would be charging half the full day rate.

AliceK
05-07-2011, 01:47 PM
No you see to my way of thinking they are holding the place over the holidays to be taken up again in the term time. Other wise with no payment during holidays you could turn round just before term starts and say sorry the place is no longer there. But this is with term time only

If they want to hold a full time place all the holidays then they pay for the full day.

Also in your case i would be charging half the full day rate.

This is how I view it. This child has been coming to me since he was at nursery when I would have him all morning and then drop him at nursery. Then last Sept when he started school mum wanted him to come before school every day and Mondays after school as well until 6pm. Sometimes he comes on other days after school on an as and when needed basis. Seeing as he is 5 now she is using me less and less during school hols as she can get him in a holiday club for much cheaper. In theory I should be charging her 50% of a full day rate for the hols I think but because she just books him in as and when during hols and the contract doesn't say anything about term-time only I have been charging 50% of whatever his usual BS / AS hours are. As I see it she needs to pay this to hold his place for Sept unless she is on a TTO contract in which case she would be paying a higher charge anyway. Surely if I have it in writing from her that she won't need the space during the hols I could in theory offer it to someone else without forgoing the 50% couldn't I????

I'm confused :blush:

Goatgirl
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I think you need to make an addition to the wording in your contract to reflect your position on holidays and what she is paying for. If its a retainer to hold the term time only fee I'd be charging as you are, but if its a retainer to hold a 'sometimes needed' holiday space i'd have specified hours and days and charge 50% of that when not needed...

If she understands that what she is paying is to hold the before and after school space, that's all fine: but I'd have it clarified in writing to cover myself too :).

hope it works out for you :)

best wishes,
Wendy

wendywu
05-07-2011, 04:26 PM
If she is term time only then she needs to pay half in holidays.

If she uses you in holidays then she pays full if she uses you or not. The one thing i will not do is back up cheaper childcare.

Find yourself someone who wants holiday care only. :)