PDA

View Full Version : any tips for small spaces

Babycat
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
so getting into this now! live in 2 bed terrace with not a lot of space!

was thinking of practical things, like.. sunction hooks for displaying art work that can be removed, book storage thinking of over door organiser clear which i will lower to kiddies height with strong string also can moved, table from ikea has white panel in middle so gt blackboard paint for over so becomes art table too, saw on here about usibg labelled coat hangers so made my own (fab idea)! have a small under stair cupboard (computer desk in there now) so getting drawers for storage (tall argos ones)and thinking of ceiling hooks to hang stuff too using max space! using a choosing book for toy selection..

anyone got small space ideas?

oh also can anyone think of a name or place to get this.. a squeezy bottle with hole at end! saw on string in bathrooms! not hook one!! my head is buzzing with ideas!!! ahhhh

love381
05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
We have 'box unit' type things from IKEA - they are called Expedit I think. We have them in any spare wall space (along the landing in our house too, as they fit! and some in my children's bedroom. These have cheap black boxes in them, they come flat packed from IKEA and are material with a hard base that folds down. They are about £3.00 or something. This is so we can store things and rotate toys etc. We have one unit in the living room, that we have lay down. If you search IKEA for Expedit, you'll see a 2 by 4 unit! This is for displaying things on top etc, has 8 boxes of WONDERFUL things in it!!

Wonder if this is any good to you? The 2 by 4 can be stood upright, takes up a small amount of floor space (even perhaps in your own bedroom if you are tight for space) and can store 8 boxes of 'things'.

Also, paint your windows. Use normal paints with PVA glue mixed in. Then you can do a design/theme for what you're doing at the time or even let the children have a turn!! This saves wall space when you need to have 'something' up!

Use boxes on top of your own furniture that you've already got. We got some collapsable ones from B&M, not very expensive at all, and have them on top of our wardrobe and even some craft ones on top of our kitchen cupboards. We've even used shoe boxes for some of them. Just make sure you label them CLEARLY, saves searching through ALL the boxes for something!!

x

sweets
05-07-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a 2 bed terrace too :thumbsup:

I have a though lounge diner but have my table in the kitchen so the dining room end of the room has a large expedit unit (5x5) that has toys stored in nice baskets so that they are hidden at weekend and evenings. i also have a 2 bed wardrobe upstairs that is used for storage so i can rotate toys or just keep age inappropriate toys upstairs.

my house is very much a home, i dont display the childrens artwork as i encourage them to take them all home, i dont have coat pegs for them either, their coats go on the bottom the banister with mine.

i dont have my own kids so refuse to have my house looking like a nursery at weekend and eves.

it can be done :laughing:

jellybean cc
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi i have found these picture pockets great i put mindee pictures/drawings in one side, my own children's work/ photo's in the other. I have mindee side facing out during the working day then in the evening i just turn them round and have the family side facing out

http://www.picturepockets.com/home/product/48

Babycat
06-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Hi i have found these picture pockets great i put mindee pictures/drawings in one side, my own children's work/ photo's in the other. I have mindee side facing out during the working day then in the evening i just turn them round and have the family side facing out

http://www.picturepockets.com/home/product/48

this is a nice idea :-) thnks for sharing x

JulieA
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
I use the picture pockets too. I have one for photos, and one for art work.

At the moment it works out that I have two sets of children - so the same 3 children on mon & tues and then a different 3 on weds and thurs. I use one side for one set of children and then turn it around on the other days - IYSWIM

The Juggler
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
def. have a look round ikea if you can hon. they display tiny bedrooms, lounges and living rooms so they can display their space saving storage solutions. then if you see something that works for you you could pick a couple up.:)