PDA

View Full Version : who do I pay for storing photos on lap top?

jane5
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I know I have read on here somewhere that we have to pay someone to use the internet for photos but I can not find the thread.

Can any body tell me who to pay please

Thanks in advance

Pixie dust
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
You have to register with the ICO for storing digitial data.

Flisspaps
05-07-2011, 09:49 AM
The ICO (Information Commissioners Office) notification form (https://www.ico.gov.uk/onlinenotification/?page=7.html) is here.

It costs £35 to register and is renewable annually. You must register if you use any kind of electronic device to store information about children - this includes digital cameras (and computers, phones, laptops etc) even if you take the photo, print it and then delete it.

I believe that this is a legal requirement, not an optional extra.

However, if you only use the computer for your own personal accounts then that isn't included.

jane5
05-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

specks4
05-07-2011, 05:24 PM
So when we take pictures for the children's observations etc even then we have to register?

sarah707
05-07-2011, 05:32 PM
So when we take pictures for the children's observations etc even then we have to register?

Yes that's right ... even if you take them, print them and then immediately delete them :D

Andrea08
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
hi, we asked ofsted about this and depending on who you talk to ..they say...

"not up to us...its not in EYFS... you will not be inspected on this.... what does your LA say....."

me "if they want me to pay to data protect then i wont bother taking photoes"
ill use parents own camera etc sick of agencies of one or another asking us for money,

xxx

sarah707
05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes I kind of agree but if you are for example using the computer to process photos or to do paperwork or to send emails to parents or anything at all to do with families or your job then again you need to register.

it's not just about photos - we are classed now as data handlers according to the Information Commissioner's Office :D

julie w
06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I called ofsted and they told me it is not a requirement.

specks4
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I got this from NCMA

I dont have anything on my computer so woudnt need to register, doesnt say anything about photos on cameras.

Ive also contacted Ofsted and waiting for them to get back to me

jane5
06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
I got this from NCMA

I dont have anything on my computer so woudnt need to register, doesnt say anything about photos on cameras.

Ive also contacted Ofsted and waiting for them to get back to me

This is really interesting, I dont store any information or accounts on my laptop and take photo's on my phone and print them using a pogo so this look's like I dont need to register :D

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

catlyn
06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
so if i dont pay who will check up on me??? ofsted did my inspection last month and never mentioned it....my CM co ordinator knows nothing about it...I dont want to pay for something that I could have for nothing

Louise0208
06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
on my re-reg icp last september we were informed we only needed to use ICO for storing text data (parent & child information, contracts, concerns etc) photos for LJs, observations etc should be deleted after printing & would not come under the ICO requirements.....hence why i dont have it :laughing:

but then i was told lots of false info on my ICP! :mad:

sarah707
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
NCMA clarify childminders ICO registration requirements here -

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

As you can see it clearly says if you take digital photos OR have any info on a computer then you should register.

So yes, even if you take a photo, print to pogo and delete it you should be registering.

We have been told by Cheshire East that we have to register.

The reason? To be legal as we are classed as data handlers...

Hth :D

Rubybubbles
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I am reg with them, better to be safe! There are childminders on here being asked by ofsted if they are!

Yes it's an expence, but £35 is only a days work therefore worth it to me! And I phoned them and they said even if you print off your phone, you still held the photo therefore you need to reg

boxtree7
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I was told about this many years ago maybe about 5 years ago - I pay every year - if you look on ico website it tells you which part applys to childminders.

Andrea08
06-07-2011, 06:12 PM
NCMA clarify childminders ICO registration requirements here -

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

As you can see it clearly says if you take digital photos OR have any info on a computer then you should register.

So yes, even if you take a photo, print to pogo and delete it you should be registering.

We have been told by Cheshire East that we have to register.

The reason? To be legal as we are classed as data handlers...

Hth :D

hay sarah thanks for the link,,

its the word data, and some ppl dont think photo's printed and deleted is storing, collecting or holding data on any person or group of persons. my contracts etc are hard copies not on the pc and i use my pc as a typewriter as i print off and nothing is saved like invoices etc so therefore im not saving or collecting or holding data on a person / or group of / type of persons etc

if we used old fashioned typewriters and it came out the top and nothin is saved then we would not need to pay this money to an agency linked to the gov. that isnt regulated or supervised in any way therefore just another way of collecting money from the tax payers..

just because its digital does not mean its out on the internet and therefore i will argue with the gov i am using a pc from the yr 2000 instead of a typewriter (which is what i learned on in the days b4 Pc's in our schools)

i agree with sarah in what she is saying as she feels its the law to pay this fee even though we are not regulated / given a certificate or even monitored in any way...

but i am taking a personal stand and would not ever recomend any other cm to follow my lead in any way, as this is something i just believe in personaly and would not wish any cm to get into trouble because they wanted to agree with me and not pay the £35 yr fees.

i feel it is a personal choice and if we are caught and its a criminal offence then we should face what happens without blameing others.

wow i went on a bit there sorry xxx

Sara T
04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I paid the £35 and registered as I take pics on my mobile and sometimes message pics of their children during the day and also then use some of the pics from my mobile for LJ's too and store them in files on my laptop and external hard drive.

Ill just put it on my expenses for that month and have my mind at rest that Im registered.

I don't think it is made clear that you need to register, I found it out formyself after a discussion at a training session and minders were talking about separate cameras for minding etc.

I use my personal camera and personal mobile and registered with ICO. can;t be doing with 2 mobiles and 2 cameras every 5 minutes!!!

Sara :laughing:

Sara T
04-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I do still however think its a rip off!!! :rolleyes:

sweets
04-08-2011, 04:39 PM

So do i which is why i refuse to pay it!

PixiePetal
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM

so do I! But I have paid as East Sussex authority told us we had to ,as data handlers - even me who takes pics on camera and prints from a canon selphy personal (not with PC) printer. No childs details on PC etc.

ICO even told me they thought it was over the top in my situation and had to go away and ask someone when I phoned them, but until it changes I will do it :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
04-08-2011, 05:04 PM
We were also told by our LA that it is a legal requirement to register with ICO.

I agree its a rip off, I don't store any info about the children on my computer, and photos don't have names on them, BUT would rather pay the £35 (even though I don't know quite how that helps me if my laptop is stolen etc :rolleyes: ) than not pay and end up in trouble for the sake of £35!