PDA

View Full Version : Parents questionnaire

NikNak
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh my god I am so angry. I have just got back after picking up my after school mindees and looked in child A bag and found a questionnaire that I gave to the parent a couple of days ago. (Its the bromley one) Her answer to question 1 about communication has really upset me. She picks A up at 6pm every evening. She has suggested a weekly meeting would be beneficial as collection seems to be a little rushed. I always fill her in on anything she needs to know and more! I am always chatty and polite. She always takes her time and child A messes about when its time to go. I feel that at 6 pm after working full time all day every day with children is not the best part of the day to feel like chatting!!!!!!!!!!! What more does she want?!She pays me till 6 and its always at least 10 past by the time they have left.Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved. I am now dreading 6pm tonight as she will know I have read the questionare. What shall I say to her? I feel angry now and am worried there might be a vibe.:panic:

crazybones
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I would smile sweetly and say that if she would like to talk to you then you will be available at 5.30 if she would like to book an appointment as you close at 6 pm.

yummymummy
02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Well said Annie!:laughing:
Niknak if mum isn't happy with that (don't know if you do this or not) but I have a child who plays up so badly at home time I introduced doorstep handover and a daily diary where her day was fully listed so that the parents had so much information they never need to stay behind for a chat!!!

NikNak
02-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh goodness I wish I had the confidence to say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that she could never make it before 6pm and she knows I am aware of that. So she will know I am being funny! Shall I suggest I write a diary for her? A is 5 years old. He is very mature in all ways and can communicate extremely well. Does any one else keep a diary for after school mindees?

She also replied to question 2 about current routines and activities that "although routines and activities were outlined in your introduction pack I am relying on what A tells me he does."

jaytravis
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
i would like to do a questionare what sort of questions do you ask is there one anywhere i can print off
stacey

chez1373
02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I dont give a questionair our but after reading this i think i will start can you tell me where you got the questionair from please.

I think its very rude of the parents to say things like that if you have told her what they have done then thats it why should she rely on her son to tell her..
Maybe she was having a bad day when she sat down to fill it in....

Hope you have a better night tonight.

yummymummy
02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
My goodness she just sounds a bit awkward! I didn't do diaries for my after schoolies but then I haven't had any for quite a while only pre schoolers!
Perhaps you need to ask her what she would prefer you to do (outlining all the options) but making it perfectly clear that any discussion time needs to be within your opening hours. As her child is actually at school all day would she expect this kind of information weekly from his form teacher?
If she is so concerned I'm sure she can finish half an hour earlier!!!
Good luck though, with some parents you really feel like you need to walk on eggshells!!!!!

Pudding Girl
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Look at it from this angle - you have been told something that you can change, by doing a diary perhaps? this will look good at inspection time that you have taken action on the questionairres ;) Also shows what a good idea questionairres are, maybe some parents don't feel able to say to your face.

I'd make an appt to have a wee chat with parents, and say from now on XYZ will happen.

Spangles
02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, you're right Lou.

Do some paperwork on how this parent has now advised you of what she sees as an area that could be 'improved' for her and document your discussion with her, what you suggest, what she suggests, the agreement you come to, then do a review date and review it with the mum in say 4 weeks and write how it's worked out!

Ofsted will love it!

Another positive thing that I thought is how nice it is to actually hear about a parent who's interested in what their child has been doing and what you're doing with them? It's a good thing.

Alibali
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes I'd see it as a positive too, sometimes parents only tell us what they think we want to hear, and then we have nothing to work on for improving our service. At my last years questionairres a parent said she was unsure of a policy, so I wrote to all parents and implemented changes so the situation was resolved, and at inspection the CC loved the fact that the questionairres had a positive outcome. It's all about improving our service and thats exactly what you can do. Well done on your good questionairre!:)

Ali x

ps I'd be secretley cross too!!:D

yummymummy
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I hadn't thought of it from the aspect Alibali and Spangles have stated. It is sometimes easy to take offence when you work alone as you don't have anyone on the spot with a different take on the situation and sometimes perhaps parents don't phrase things in the way they mean them or childminders come to that!
That is why this website is so good as you have so many others in a similar situation so understand! I think you've had some great suggestions, hope it all works out for you.

NikNak
02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
There is an example questionair on the bromley childminding site. Its in the downloads section next to the policies and precedures bit on the left.

I suppose it is a positive really. I suppose im mad because I didnt think very hard about the consequences. I was too busy preparing for my first ofsted visit and thought it would look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to write a general newsletter to all parents and make a positive comment about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the mean time I have started to write a diary for her starting from right now!:laughing:

deeb66
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I would have recommended exactly what Spangles has already said.

One thing I will add is that if the parent would prefer to have a weekly discussion then that is fine becuase you will be adapting to what she want.

I would however agree with the other ladies....you should not be expected to have this meeting in 'your' time.

If she wants to have a 30 minute meeting then she should be prepared to either arrive at 5.30 or at least pay you extra for any time spent after your contract hours........

You may even want to recommend that this discussion time is pre-arranged so that it is convenient to both of you as it will stop her from just turning up one day expecting you to sit down with her.

Good luck

NikNak
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your comments and advice every one. It has made such a difference being able to express my feelings to other like minded people who understand.
I feel alot calmer now and will turn it into a positive, even though I am still really peeved to be honest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gherkin
03-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Does any one else keep a diary for after school mindees? "

I keep a diary for a 7 year old as he has SEN but not for my other after schoolies.

Personally think the mum is being a twit. If she has any issues with communication she should have mentioned it before rather than wait for the questionairre to come out.

I've just had three questionairres of mine back and have had really nice comments. The only downside was one parent saying that she seemed to think that we spent an awful lot of time on school runs (some days I do morning run, pre-school lunchtime run and then thge p.m run). I had already counteracted this as I now pick her dd up on the way back from the school run.