PDA

View Full Version : story sacks

conkeil
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM
hi guys

really keen on using storysacks, has anyone got any advice/tips/courses info

sarah707
03-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Google and have a look at some on different websites - they will give you lots of ideas for contents :D

alison
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
asked my minded children which their favourite books were and started from those. I then asked them to pick out items in the stories that they would like to see in the story sack.

WE got one Grandad to make some small branches for Owl Babies, and also some small mushrooms for the Gruffalo and so on.

They are very personal to us and the children love the fact they helped make them

manjay
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
They are quite expensive to buy so I wouldn't recommend that however like Sarah says if you google you can get a good idea what retailers put in theirs.

Our local library has a large selection so I use those mostly as I don't have much storage space. I do have a couple and as Alison said we chose one of the children's favourite stories and built it up from that.

I am attending a celebration evening on Wednesday with Neil Griffiths as the guest speaker which is quite exciting as I have not heard him speak before:thumbsup:

karensmart4
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
We have made our own... just got a few at the mo but we have 'The very hungry Caterpillar' 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear' and 'There was an Old Women that Swallowed a Fly'.

They are a big hit at story time and it means that the children are actively taking part rather than just being read to, they remember the sequencing of the stories and the repeated refrains.

I would start with their fav stories as we did and others on here have said, and source things from the children's toys, from the internet and laminate and maybe from parents/grandparents... ask in your newsletter if anyone can knit you bits to go with certain stories etc.

Have fun :thumbsup:

Greengrass74
03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
We are lucky that our Local Toy Library has them, we are able to keep them as long as we want and cost around 10p a week to hire out :thumbsup:

Penny1959
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
I make my own - the children love them - some only have a story and supporting toys, others have fact books, games, print outs and so on.

I add things as I come across them(usually from car boots or charity shops.

Recently I ran a story sack session for local group which went down really well - but the main message was about not getting carried away and putting so much in a story sack that the impact is lost.

Remember you don't have to use a sack - any bag will do or pillow case, or box or even one of those plastic wallets.

Penny :)

conkeil
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
thanks guys that is really helpful, i love the simple wee twig foe the owl babies to sit on

Boris
05-07-2011, 06:18 PM
We've just borrowed 10 in the bed story sack from our local toy library. All it is, is 2 bits of cloth (the bed) and 10 little bears (some are from macdonalds happy meals!). So easy and cheap.