PDA

View Full Version : To artificial grass... or not to artificial grass?

buzzy bee
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
What are your thoughts on this... has anyone done it / would you recommend etc?

I hate my garden, our lawn is terrible but I'm wondering if this is the best thing, or if I should spend the money on more garden toys!

TheBTeam
02-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I absolutely love my fake grass and wouldnt be without it, we have had it 2 1/2 years now.

sweets
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
i can see that it has it uses, but i see artificial grass more in a nursery setting than a house garden, there is nothing like the feel and smell of real grass and its lovely for LO's to play on, if you have decent drainage then it can be used all year round.

i would spend your money on having your lawn re turfed rather than having plastic stuff being put down, if you have an expert do it then they will improve your drainage so that it doesnt get waterlogged. :thumbsup:

shazsull
02-07-2011, 08:06 PM
ive just had mine re turfed 1 st time my gardens been finished in over 4 years due to building work and cowboys .it is very small was tempted buy fake but husband reckoned after putting in a base ect would cost to much.have just had to buy a mower i love it!!!!!:)

RainbowMum
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Personally dont like it - they have it at a local day care where cubs meet, they quite often get friction burns as no matter how many times you tell them to wear long trousers they turn up in shorts at a hint of sun :rolleyes:
It does look nice an green but I hate the feel of it :panic:

pinkbutterfly
02-07-2011, 11:27 PM
This is something I'm considering. I have returfed twice whithin the last 7 years. My garden is quite small and my neighbour has a large tree growing right by the fence. No matter what I do (returf, put seeds etc) half of my anyway small garden eventually gets bald and nothing grows there ... not even weeds. The children don't play in the bald bit and if I leave any toys there they get very dirty soon. I think I would make a better use of the garden if I had artificial grass.

sdean
02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I had mine done as it was always waterlogged and I love it - it is mud free, dries really quickly after downpours and it is really safe for the children to play on or fall on.

If you would like to see some pictures of my grass and have access to facebook you can have a look on my page : Sarah Dean Childminding

buzzy bee
03-07-2011, 05:58 AM
This is something I'm considering. I have returfed twice whithin the last 7 years. My garden is quite small and my neighbour has a large tree growing right by the fence. No matter what I do (returf, put seeds etc) half of my anyway small garden eventually gets bald and nothing grows there ... not even weeds. The children don't play in the bald bit and if I leave any toys there they get very dirty soon. I think I would make a better use of the garden if I had artificial grass.

This is exactly how it is for me - the trees don't let the grass live!! We've never tried returfing but hubby says there's no point cos it wouldn't have a chance to grow anyway. The whole lawn is basically moss, weed and mud with a sprinkling of dead grass! like you I think the garden would double in size with fake grass cos there are bits that don't get used at the moment. Also I think I'd encourage them to use it more and I would go out there more at weekends etc.

Thanks for all the replies, and I'll have a look at you photo Sarah, thanks!

Dragonfly
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Dont think my chickens would like it ha ha:laughing:

appleblossom
03-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I considered having it laid in the area where the swings are because that area was always worn away to mud. It was going to be extremely expensive as I wanted the really hard wearing sort. Then our primary school had the school playing field done with fake grass. It has a rubber base and when the weather is warm or hot the smell of hot rubber is overpowering and not very nice. So I didn't bother. We overcame the mud under the swings by having safety matting put down as part of the early years grant, putting top soil in the gaps and sowing grass seed. Now the safety matting stops the grass being worn away.

Louise0208
03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
have it :)

i have had it for 2 years & prefer it to the real thing, its year round, the dog doesnt wear it out & it has stopped the rashes & sneezes from my kids who suffer bad with hayfever.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb154/louise0208/Childminding/untitled.jpg

Louise0208
03-07-2011, 02:40 PM
btw... i bought offcuts from ebay so its in 2 peices....cost me £125 delivered :p

NI MINDER
03-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a large piece below the swings - where it always got really mucky and grass didnt get a chance to grow. It merges in with the lawn proper and we mow around it. We really only have it because of the muck issue under swing - dont know if I would like too much of it though ?

mushpea
03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
we looked at getting this,, if you email some companys they send you samples and some of it is like the horrible astro turf stuff but some is lovley and seems like grass and was lovley and soft,, unfortunatly for us it was a big area that needed doing and was too expensive so we block paved the whole garden in the end,,, our grass would get so water logged that it was just a patch of mud! now we have a all weather play area and its great for the dog too

Monkey1
03-07-2011, 06:21 PM
My childrens play area is astro turf, love it, always looks good!:D

buzzy bee
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow Sarah, you're house and garden look amazing!!

Shivvie
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I love ours and would definitely recommend it :thumbsup: . We got the stuff that looks like real grass, or as near as possible. It looks like a very well-kept lawn.

It's great for the children we mind and for our little boy who loves playing football. It can be played on all year round and never gets muddy. It never needs mowing and looks fab after a good brush.

We were commenting the other day about another plus point in that, when the children play with the paddling pool or tuff spot full of water, it doesn't get muddy all around it and the water doesn't get full of grass! Also, when emptied, the water drains away really quickly and the grass is dry soon after.

It is one of the best items we have purchased for our childminding business. We love it!

buzzy bee
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Another question... did you put it down in your accounts?

Vickster
03-07-2011, 08:14 PM
We have it and I love it. It is like having a carpet outside! See my attached photo on this thread http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=82584

Lincsminder
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Another fan here. It is great for our garden as the drainage was awful before and now the children can use it all year round.

janminder
04-07-2011, 01:26 AM
I have thought about it too, but it seemed expensive. It would get rid of the ants though they have been a real problem the last few weeks, they seem to be everywhere and attracted to plastic toys:(