PDA

View Full Version : when parents come for a visit

suzy:-)
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
hi everyone

i have parents coming round to have a look tuesday , it will be my first stranger parent and child who have been ( my other mindee's are either family of friends and just signed the contract and were happy :)

but this time its different as i feel i have to wow her for the job or do i ?????
what does everyone else do when parents come im nervous lol
i have all my fee's,policies,and paperwork ready , so do i just bombard her or give her my folder to look while i keep little one's happy

thanks for any advice x x x

tulip0803
02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I have everything out ready in case they want to see. Lots aren't that bothered with reading reams of stuff but some want to read everything. I chat whilst playing on the floor and the child will usually join me after a short time to get used to being there.

I ask what they are after, ask about food requirements, what they expect from me etc etc. Just a general get to know you and what they want time.

I suggest they come back to sign contracts at a time I am not working so that I can go through everything with them to make sure that they understand what they are signing.

After all this time I am still very nervous whenever I meet parents for the first time.

02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
thanks for your reply
also do u give parents anything to take away ie information or do they just leave with what u have told them
x x

cupcake22
02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I never give parents anything to take away. They only get copies of my stuff i.e procedures & policies once they have signed contact & deposit is paid. I also give then a form to sign to say they have read & understood them.

Cupcake22

02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
ok thanks
wow that must be alot of work to copy all your policies and give to each parent , does everyone do this ????

i was just going to let her have a quick flick through
my policies :eek:

Jiorjiina
02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Mine are all on my computer, so I can just print or send a copy by email.

I think a lot of people give parents a copy of their policies, to avoid any problems with parents claiming they were not aware of the rules when childminder brings up an issue.

cupcake22
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
ok thanks
wow that must be alot of work to copy all your policies and give to each parent , does everyone do this ????

i was just going to let her have a quick flick through
my policies :eek:

I give them copies so that if there are any issues down the line i can say ' if you refer to my polices' which normally throws them coz they havent read them. Hence why I give them a form to sign to say they have even though they probably havent. I have them on a memory stick so i just print them off.

Cupcake22

lau
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I give my parents a copy of all my policies and procedures and a sample menu, house rules, photocopies of contract etc which I put together in a parent pack. They get this when they come for their first visit and they take it away to read. Then if they are happy with what they read then they come back to sign contracts. I do it this way as I have had to sit in a minders front room reading through policies and feeling rushed and under pressure with my own children and I dont want parents to feel that way here. All the parents I have had come to look round have all been back in contact within 2 days and signed contracts.

This works for me, but everyone and every setting is different.
xx

TammyN
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I sent my welcome pack with policies and procedures in it to the parents on enquiry, unfortunately the last person i done this for who came to visit and looked through all my stuff is now in the process of registering and now has all my hard earned work :( i have since learnt not to send it out until contracts are being signed!

cupcake22
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I sent my welcome pack with policies and procedures in it to the parents on enquiry, unfortunately the last person i done this for who came to visit and looked through all my stuff is now in the process of registering and now has all my hard earned work :( i have since learnt not to send it out until contracts are being signed!

I have heard of this in the past so no one gets here hands on my stuff untill the deal is sealed!

Cupcake22

lulubelle
02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
i am glad i am not the only one giving parents copies of my policies and a form to sign saying they have read them all! my friend thinks i am mad!

cupcake22
02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
i am glad i am not the only one giving parents copies of my policies and a form to sign saying they have read them all! my friend thinks i am mad!

No definatley not mad just carefull & dont we have to be lol.

Cupcake22

Tealady
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

I do the same. As stated earlier, it means they can't say they didn't know

Curvylou
05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I have a 4 page mini booklet which has my main info in ie...

Arrival departure policie, My working hours, my contact number, my late fees, My fees, my food policy, behaviour policy, illness policy, uncollected child, dress code and then a list of all other policies they can see again and ofsteds number.

They have to sign to say they have read my policies (big folder) which I then keep but get to keep the small booklet as home as a reminder.

Zoomie
05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I now always give my potential parents a leaflet with info about me and my service.

I find, that if parents are visiting a few different settings, sometimes things get blurred, so the leaflet is a reminder about me, once they are home.

OP, how did your visit go ??

suzyblue
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I have 3 folders with copies of my policies and procedures - I give out one of these once parents have signed the contract, they then return the folder along with signed permission forms and a form saying that they have read and understood each policy. I keep 3 copies here and parents can borrow them at any time. They can also take their own copies if they want but no one ever has.