PDA

View Full Version : making safe TV DVD Video

jadavi
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi, after my health and safety eve yesterday at my EYF course I am now in a quandary about how to make the tv unit safe with DVD, sky box and video machine underneath. They talked about wall mounting the thin screen but I also have a heavy old style 32" in another room and the DVD, Sky and video underneath. How does every one do that?

jac

FussyElmo
01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Well I have a flat screen monitor and its not mounted on the wall.

The children are taught not to touch the tele etc and this along with supervision keeps them safe :thumbsup:

marian
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Our flat sreen is not mounted to the wall either - the dvd player and sky box are underneath it on a glass unit.

The children are taught not to touch from the begining - I tend to put toy boxes in front of the unit and this has worked so far......

Marian x

Pipsqueak
01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
My tv and paraphenalia is not locked or hidden away or wall mounted. Its all on a (safety) glass stand/shelving, along with the Wii.

Children are taught not to touch period. No touchy - adults only - its MINE

Its RA'd, I supervise, the door to the sitting room gets closed - if we are in there I am in there too so supervision.....

Katiekoo
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm very lucky to have a purpose hand made (by grampy) wooden safety rail that keeps little hands off all my shelving so I always have somewhere to put ornaments, tv, hi fi, craft materials etc. It is accross the cove under the stairs. Mrs O thought it was great! I hang lovely mirrors and balloons and ribbons on it to intice little ones to pull up to stand.

Not everyone is as lucky but there are lots of ways to make tvs safe - keep in a cupboard with doors or up high enough to be out of reach, behind an obstacle of some sort. If it wasn't for rmy rail my dd would stand with her nose touching the screen! I'm sure if you teach them early enough they can learn not to touch, but can you really trust them not to - ever. There was a dreadful story in the news a while ago where a child was hurt having pulled the large tv off a unit onto themselves!
I would really think about making it safe - not necessarily wall mounting tv but there is always something you can do to improve safety.

sharonmanc
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I have simply taught my DD not to touch, and plan on doing this with mindees, I dont want my home to not be my home, if you know what I mean, so alot of things I plan on risk assessing through supervision.

jadavi
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you - very helpful.
Blocking it seems the best idea for me.

I didn't want to have to take them all with me to the kitchen say if they are watching a video

cheers, jac