PDA

View Full Version : non working parent

sarahcoutts21
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
please help! a non working parent is wanting me to look after her child 2 days a week she is on the dole and is planning putting her other child to another child! i feel that she is taking spaces from working parents i have told her twice and she is still not listening to me am i in the wrong here or is she? i know the otherchildminder is not taking her son for this reason?

Kelly
02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Strickly speaking there is nothing in the book that say's you can only mind children who's parents work. Having said that how is she planning on paying for the childcare, surely tax credits alone would not cover the cost unless she was telling a LITTLE white lie on the cost element!! Personally if I was happy that the parents could pay it would not concern me if the parent didn't actually work.

berkschick
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
How will she afford to pay you if she is on the dole?

Seems a very strange situation to me!

Polly2
02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Same as Kelly - if she is paying you, I wouldn't worry.

I used to mind for a lady who was not working but had depression and needed a break.

Mollymop
02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I suppose it is up to you. It's your business after all X

Spangles
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
The mothers of the children I care for at present don't work although the fathers do.

One needs care so she has time to get chores and different jobs done and the other needs care whilst she takes her other child to swimming lessons.

As long as they pay me I wouldn't worry about whether they are working or not. I would be concerned about how a person on the dole would be able to afford childcare though unless there's maybe special circumstances and she is getting help for some reason? Not sure if this happens or not? Or, maybe she really needs a break and one of her relatives is going to pay?

sarah707
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I've worked for parents in the past who are at home and want a break from their children...

Others with difficult children and childcare has been suggested as a way of getting some time out...

Others who work part-time from home but go shopping when their child is with me..!

Personally, I don't feel it's up to me to question them so long as they can afford to pay me... payment in advance definitely :D

ma7ie
02-05-2008, 01:51 PM
If the parent can pay and is not doing or making you do anything illegal, I'd take the child on.

sarahcoutts21
02-05-2008, 02:34 PM
as far as im aware she gets no childcare money and like so many of you wouldnt question this but its the payemnt that worries me she has had her daughter to another childminder and pulled her out cos she couldnt afford it now she wants me to take her i think its all a bit strange i have said No though!

Spangles
02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Good for you Sarah!

Go with your first impression, it's normally the right one!

wendywu
02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
If she could not afford the other childminder then she will not be able to afford you. If you do decide to take her then be paid monthly in advance.:)

Kelly
02-05-2008, 08:15 PM
If you know from the other childminder she could not pay, then i would stay away.

Pudding Girl
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I would be concerned too about how they would meet payments, I would have to be cheeky and ask!!

Could it be the case she is on contributions based JSA rather than means tested, and might genuinely have the money and be just wanting some alone time?

devoncm
06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
If shes been to another cm and not paid then id probably say no too, but saying that up until i lost him last week i had a little boy whos until his mum started work i had him a few hours a week and she paid me daily when i had him this worked out ok for us

sarahcoutts21
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
she has told me that she is planning putting her son to another childminder so i warned her and he declined him thansk for the advise ladies