PDA

View Full Version : HELP - I have to many children!

brighter
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hello,

I am not sure where to post this maybe there is a better forum for this.

But I get enquiries every day!!! (I had 5 in the last 5 days) from parents wanting to put their children in my care. My problem is as I have no children from end July I have full vacancies available. All the people writting to me only want school pick up, which I am willing to do as well but I would like to have one full time position covered to as we need the money. So how do you all do that. Shall I say no to everyone until I have my full time child and then look for part time children???

Many thank
Nadine

sarah707
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I tend to take the children I'm offered so long as I am happy with the hours, parents, children etc....

I have never waited in the hopes the right one will come along... too risky in this business :D

chez1373
02-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I only have part time children but wish i had a full time one but i cant pick and choose way to many childminders in my area to do that.
Good luck
chez

Spangles
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I registered August last year and soon took on part-timers, only now am I getting a full-timer.

If I had waited for one I wouldn't have been earning a penny for all of those months.

brighter
02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Thank you. I am none the wiser about what to do but maybe I wait a few weeks and the decide as I can take on only one of those 5 children anyway (as my 2 boys are under 5) and everyone seems to look for under 5 cover at the moment in my area. I assumed all the childminders had full time children.

Nadine

berkschick
02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I have 9 part timers and I have to say I think it is better this way!

A friend of mine has siblngs full time and has just been given notice so she is loosing all her income in one go.

brighter
02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Never thought about what you said Debbie about then losing all your income. Good point. Thank you.

Tatia
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I can't afford to pick and choose, either. Too many other childmiders in this area. All my kids are part-timers and I make really good money from it. In fact one of them is moving away in two weeks and I'm not overly worried about the loss of income cos it's just a portion of my weekly earnings. I like not having all my eggs in one basket, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and other similar platitudes!:D

Banana
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
trouble with a full timer is that its your main earner - they leave and it hits you hard!

part timers juggled around can be better but ot depends really.

I have 4 part timers, which take up nearly all my time, so it works well for me. I like that I also get an afternoon off in the week too.

If it was me, I wouldnt be turning any work away but then you do what is right for your own business

xxx

wendywu
02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
After schoolers come into a different age group than the full timers who are pre school.

Pauline
02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Hello,

I am not sure where to post this maybe there is a better forum for this.

But I get enquiries every day!!! (I had 5 in the last 5 days) from parents wanting to put their children in my care. My problem is as I have no children from end July I have full vacancies available. All the people writting to me only want school pick up, which I am willing to do as well but I would like to have one full time position covered to as we need the money. So how do you all do that. Shall I say no to everyone until I have my full time child and then look for part time children???

Many thank
Nadine

Don't worry Nadine, if you are not sure where to post, we can always move it. This is probably the best area anyway :)

I think if it were me I would take on some of the schoolers to keep some money coming in but not too many so that you ended up not being able to to take on a full timer if it came along. :)

wendywu
02-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Im getting confused here. We are allowed 3 in the 0 to 5/4 age group and 3 in the 5 to 8 age group. How would taking 3 in the older group fill your spaces for the younger group. Or are you talking about spaces in the car for school runs:(