PDA

View Full Version : What do they call you?

Schnakes
21-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi,

Im just wondering what other minders have their minded children call them?

I personally prefer my full first name, rather than the shortened version that my friends call me. I also have a little boy who calls me "nanny" which I LOVE! (Specially because he cant pronounce it properly so it doesnt even sound like "nanny"!!). One of my mums the other day asked me if her LO can call me aunty...for some reason Im uncomfortable with that.

What does everyone else do?

Sx

charleyfarley
21-12-2007, 10:21 PM
All my mindees call me Carol although one mindee calls me the best childminder in the world!!!

Bless him and that's after I make him eat his vegetables :laughing:

He also does say we are part of his family which makes this job so special.

Carol xx

Angela234
21-12-2007, 10:39 PM
My mindees call me Angela sometimes the youger ones might call me Nanny as my grandchildren are here calling me Nanny they soon get to realise its Angela

Angela

mrsbumbles
22-12-2007, 10:26 AM
They call me Donna, one little girl calls me 'my Donna' which is quite sweet, another has started calling me 'Don Don' which i am trying to discourage.:)

Cammie Doodle
22-12-2007, 10:34 AM
1 Family years ago called me Auntie June (as they said I was like their family) and now its stuck .
When I went to work in our village Nursery the Headmistress let me choose what I wanted the children to call me , I did not want to be "Miss" I think its nicer to be called by your name so that s what I decided on.
Merry Christmas Everyone:)

Polly2
22-12-2007, 02:58 PM
They all call me Holly except one family who call me auntie Holly because they don't want mother-in-law to know they have a childminder!!!

Apparantly she disapproves of mum working - she should be home looking after her own children ha ha!!

I am dreading meeting her in town one day when I have the children - what will I say????

:laughing:

Pipsqueak
22-12-2007, 04:32 PM
My mindee calls me "biccy", she can say Vicky (when she wants something lol).

My mum is up to stay at the moment and she calls her Nanny Sylvia - bless her and its pleased my mum no end. Especially when she said "can I share you with James (my son), I don't have a Nanny". Melts your heart.

My kids have always called my neighbour Nanna and the youngest mindee calls her that too.

Blaze
22-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm generally called Tasha, but I've been called Mummy Tasha too...I tried to discourage it, but real Mummy was really pleased her LO loved coming so much, so it stuck!
Tasha:)

Pauline
22-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm usually called Pauline. One child's mum did encourage her to call me Auntie Pauline and that stuck, she's 22 now and still calls me that!!

I think it depends on the parents too, on what they want.

I've heard of a local minder who encourages the children to call her mummy, which I think is appaling. Sometimes they do forget which is fine, but you must always correct them, in my opinion.

carolinel
22-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Mine just call me Caroline. occasionally they've forgot and called me Mummy but I always say something when they do that.

I think the minder who encourages the children to call her Mummy must have a screw loose somewhere. That is really bad.

Spangles
22-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I can't believe that Pauline, a minder encourages her mindees to call her mummy! I'd be fuming if my son called a childminder 'mummy' - apart from me! What a strange thing to do.

Schnakes
22-12-2007, 07:48 PM
The one year old (whos mum wants her to call me aunty) usually says "mummy", but I certainly dont encourage it!!! I hate referring to myself in the third person, but with this LO I do so she gets used to me being S, not mummy!!
How odd the the CM encourages the use of the word mummy. Do the parents know? Im suprised they send kids to her if they do - I wouldnt want my two going to her - I would feel she was trying to replace me!

Sx

Blaze
22-12-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree & while I do have the above mentioned child that calls me Mummy Tasha...it is something I don't particularly like, but stood no chance when Mum encourages it!!! I suppose as long as she's happy, but as LO grows I will try & drop the Mummy bit! I think it's appalling that the childminder your way encourages it!

sarah707
22-12-2007, 09:29 PM
My lot have always called me Sarah and when they say mummy by mistake I make a funny comment, so they know I'm not cross but they got it wrong.

Tily Bud
22-12-2007, 10:21 PM
All my mindees call me cheryl although they have called me mummy by mistake from time to time , i just usually say cheryl sraightaway after they have said it but dont make a big deal of it.

They all call my parents nanna and grandad this is because first names didnt seem very respectful and mr / mrs ...... was a mouthful, all the parents are happy with this and parents are made aware of this from the start x

Cheryl x

LittleMissSparkles
23-12-2007, 09:05 AM
mine call me Sue and although I hate been called Sue, when it's the kids I dont mind so much xxx

Pauline
23-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I think the minder who encourages the children to call her Mummy must have a screw loose somewhere. That is really bad.

Yes and it might explain why I've had calls from two of her mindee's parents looking for alternative care and another minder has had a call from another one!!!

Sadly I can't take them on :(

teacake2
23-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Most of mine call me Marg, but over the years I have been called Nana Marg 1. One other family called me Nana Marg 2 because they already had Nana Marg 1, I have also been called Mummy but I try and make a joke of it to try and discourage them gently. As long as no-one is upset by the things the little ones call us then I think it nice sometimes with the little mix ups in names they use.
Teacake2

susi513
23-12-2007, 05:18 PM
They usually call me by my first name but the other day a mindee said "goodbye", then paused... I was waiting for the usual "poohead" or similar showing off insult, but instead he came up with "goodbye gorgeous". !!

ajs
23-12-2007, 09:42 PM
i like that one susi513, my nephew went through a lovely phase of calling everyone poohead which made everyone else laugh and i just told him i thought he was very rude funnily enough he doesn't do it when i'm around.

i always correct the children when they say mummy but in a nice way, even if we're in town and someone says something like give it to mummy, but poor things as mandy is so much like mummy i think they get quite confused to start with also my husband is david so one of them called him daddy for a while. which luckily her dad din't object to.

loopylu
24-12-2007, 09:39 AM
All my mindees call me Lisa (or Esa - the very young ones) - but I do have one little boy who calls me 'LADY'! I keep referring myself as Lisa to him, but he just shouts 'lady' when he wants me! Bit embarressing at toddler group when he shouts at the top of his voice!

jmoff
24-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I used to look after a 1-year old boy full time 8am-7pm. He couldn't say Jana, and sometimes got confused and called me 'mummy'.And then he started to call me 'yummy' -as in Jana (pronounced as Yana) and mummy! That was so sweet!

fionamal
24-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Most of mine call be "Ona" as they cant say Fiona and the baby its " no mummy" as she cant say anything but mummy and she knows its not right.

The kids do get muddled up from time to time especially when they here my own 2 kids call me mummy and they then do it too but we just have a laugh about it.

charleyfarley
25-12-2007, 11:03 PM
How confusing is it for our own children when mindees call us by our name

My 2 year old has just started calling me Carol.

Carol xx

Spangles
26-12-2007, 08:53 AM
That might be just a phase.

My mum says that when I was two I absolutely insisted on calling my mum and dad by their first names and Benjamin's been through that phase too! I thought it was very funny but Darren hated it! Ha ha!

LittleMissSparkles
26-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Amy sometimes copies of the mindees and calls me Susan.... she knows its mummy cause she laughs at me when she does it and I say its mummy to you .....LOL

bubbly
26-12-2007, 03:29 PM
The little girl I'm minding calls me by my first name. When my partner's in the house she calls him 'The Daddy'. That makes me smile, especially when she asks, "where's The Daddy gone?". I've even begun calling him The Daddy too!

louise
26-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I've only had two mindees the 4 year called me by my name and the younger one has just started to call me wezze and will correct himself if he says mummy now. He is just coming up to two and he has been with me a year now. He use to call me mummy but then my 3 year old is with us most of the time. I found it really hard to make sure i said my name a lot so he understood. My son did use to tell him of going ' NO its not mummy its louise'

nannan
26-12-2007, 09:43 PM
my mindee's call me by my first name, and my youngest granddaughter tries it on as well, I say to her no, its nanny to you, the mindee's have called me mummy and then laugh as they are old enough to realise, we just laugh it off, they some times copy the grandchildren and call me nanny as well, I dont mind that as they havent got any grandparents near by, and mum likes it when they do call me nanny, as long as they are not rude I dont mind what they call me, except for mum or mummy as they have only one of those, I certainly wouldnt encourage a minded child to call me mummy,

Bracken
31-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I think it depends on the age of the child. When they are just learning to talk and starting with mummy I don't think its a problem - I do not keep stopping them as its how they get attention and do not want to discourage speech. If they can't say thier own name I don't put pressure on them learning my name!

I tell thier parents they may call me mum initially because a) they can say it and b) to them I am a 'mummy' figure but not thier mum. Its a name not a substitue. They are in a home environment and often hear my children call me mum. As thier speech develops the children switch to my name. How quick depends on the child. My full time girl will be 2 in January has only recently started talking - using mum over the last few weeks. I will now start encouraging her to say my name.

If they come to me old enough to talk they use my name immediatly.

Just my view!!

Pauline
31-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I was looking after a little boy in the 1990's around the time of the TV show 'Dinosaurs' and his Dad taught him to call me "Not d' momma" :)

(Baby Dinosaurs catch phrase for those who didn't see it)

ruby
31-12-2007, 01:28 PM
one of my families has been with me ten years and they call me aunty cathy,
so the younger ones just follow and call me aunty but as they get older we change it to cathy
there parents are quite happy with that but as you say would not like to be call mum
if they do i just say its cathy/aunty cathy but don't make a big thing out of it

cathy

Rubybubbles
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I've always been Emma!! The younger one have called me mummy but as of their age you just correct them, I would never get them to call me mummy thats wrong!

Both of my 2 (5 and 3) went through a stage of calling me Emma as the mindies would.

I visited a childminder friend in Corby and her minidies called her Auntie L but it just sounded weird to me when she said pass it to Auntie L.. BUt then I've not grown up calling no family friends Auntie or Uncle, were as hubby has and thought I was strange thinking my friend was weird!! lol

LittleMissSparkles
03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I was looking after a little boy in the 1990's around the time of the TV show 'Dinosaurs' and his Dad taught him to call me "Not d' momma" :)

(Baby Dinosaurs catch phrase for those who didn't see it)

you are not d' momma but d' queen Pauline :laughing:

Banana
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
The kids call me Lana (na-na) occasionally they say mummy but they are quite good at correcting themselves when they do it becasue I always make sure they know I am not their mummy. I would be mortified if a minded child started calling me mummy all the time - id be heartbroken if isabelle ever called anyone else that

xx

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
its not often any of them call me mum but they usually know and say oops i mean sue.... LOL

I hate been called sue but dont seem to mind the chikdren calling me it xxx11111111111111

gailee
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
i've looked after my nephew from 6 months old to 3 yrs (he's leaving at the end of Feb his mum's on maternity leave for the whole year ohh ) he used to call me mummy which was sweet now he's calling me aunty gail
the twin that i have after school calls me gail

Raggydolls
05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
i look after my nephew alot as my sister cant cope very well and also my friends children when their granny/nanna cant do it and what bugs me is constantly explaining to ppl that im not mummy im aunty, or just a friend looking after the children for abit. guess im gonna have to get used to that for when i start minding huh, lol

leanne
xx

Rach30
06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Well i'm quite formal and liked to be called Miss Jeffery..........:laughing: lol only kidding !!!:laughing:** They call me RAchel or rach . I also point out to other people that i'm not there mum if they call me that (the other people i mean)

berkschick
06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi,

Only J is old enough to talk but he calls me Debbie.

4 kids calling you Mummy is enough lol

Although I am always answering other peoples kids when they shout Mummy when we are out, think its an automatic reaction!

Love

Debbie