PDA

View Full Version : How to turn down a potential client??

Trent33
30-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

This is my first ever post so a bit nervous. Just got a very basic questions really - how do I turn down a potential client without upsetting them?
Been minding about a year and so far all my mindees have come from friends of friends but this lady was totally new, she came for a look around and I found her really difficult to get along with. It wasn't that she was outwardly horrible but she challenged nearly everything I said and I felt on the back foot, and a quite uncomfortable in my own home. I just feel that she is not someone I would like to deal with regularly and I think I would dread her days. I don't actually need the work and its only 6 hours per week anyway, so I would like to say no to her, but have no idea how?! And is that legal?! I googled childminder refusing to take a client and brought up loads of stuff about discrimination - yikes!!!:eek:

Happy Bunny
30-06-2011, 01:11 PM
If she has not signed a contract I would just wait until she calls you back, you can either say sorry but the vacancy has been filled due to an emergency or say that in hindsight the hours are not convenient.

Louise317
30-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree if no contracts signed then just don't follow up her visit... and if she does call you just say sorry space is filled.

My first visit was a lady who didn't trust CMs, didn't care about P&Ps, RAs or the EYFS and only wanted 6 weeks of care

At first when she didn't contact back I was a bit down... but in hindsight now really glad she didn't contact me back I think she could have been a problem.

Rubybubbles
30-06-2011, 01:44 PM
due to a change in circumstances is one I used:o

grindal
30-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Dont be too worried about not upsetting her. I have had my share of parents who come to visit my setting/home and never bother to get back to me about vacancies.
I am not suggesting you should go out of your way to be rude to her, but if she does phone back just say you are no longer able to offer her the vacancy.
I have been known not to answer the phone on occasions!

rickysmiths
30-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Has she said she wants to use you? If not when she calls you back, if she calls back then say you are sorry you have filled the space.