PDA

View Full Version : Own child poorly, what would you do?

HMT81
30-06-2011, 09:29 AM
My ds is not very well, he's been throwing up since tuesday night and just had it confirmed at drs that he has a stomach bug. Luckily I have no mindees due until Monday, but it has got me thinking... what would I do if I had mindees booked in? What do other cm's do who have their own children?

rickysmiths
30-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Its the same as you would do for mindees, 48hours closed after the last s/d. So as lond as he does have s/d on Sat then you can open on Mon but if he is sick on Sat then you can't open on Mon.

Hope he gets better soon.

HMT81
30-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you have a back up childminder in place, do you try and find alternative care, or do you just tell the parents the child can't come?

rickysmiths
30-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Do you have a back up childminder in place, do you try and find alternative care, or do you just tell the parents the child can't come?

Because I go to a local cm group we all know each other and yes we do try to help each other cover holiday and sickness, the advantage being thet the child will know the minder even if the parent does not!.

At interview stage I always explain to parents that I will do my utmost if I am off sick to find another minder, but I can't say I can definately get them cover, it depends on the spaces the other minders have on the day.

If you have to close because of sickness then the parents can't come and you can only do your best to find cover. If you can't you can't. Also you will find, even if you ring and tell the parent you can offer emergency cover they won't want to use it and are happier staying at home with their child.

Don't feel bad about it, we and our families get sick the same way as the mindees and their families. You will find most parents will just wish your son well.

HMT81
30-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok, thank you. Maybe I should start going to my local cm group then! I went once but was put off because it was very "cliquey". I'll give it another go. Thanks :)

rickysmiths
30-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Ok, thank you. Maybe I should start going to my local cm group then! I went once but was put off because it was very "cliquey". I'll give it another go. Thanks :)

Good luck and yes, do go to your group, I moved into the area I live now 7yrs ago and it took a few weeks to break the ice. But hey, you know what a group of women can be like when they get together :laughing:

HMT81
30-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Good luck and yes, do go to your group, I moved into the area I live now 7yrs ago and it took a few weeks to break the ice. But hey, you know what a group of women can be like when they get together :laughing:

:laughing: yes i suppose so! thanks I will go next week :)