PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME ADVICE URGENTLY!!!

Natasha
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
HI

I just had a mum in to interview for minding with two children 8 months and 3 years. Everything was going fine until I asked her about how she is going to manage payment if she will be training at work and will not be paid. I asked her how is she going to manage to pay and she said that she will manage. What should I do?? I am not getting the greatest of vibes from her now because she wants to sign the contract for 5 days and want to change to three days as she likes. Told her that is not how the contract works. it is just for 3 hours a day.

She also wanted to know if her children got sick(contagious) and if she still has to pay. Told her i will confirm with NCMA and get back to her.:panic:

HELP????

barbarella68
02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Natasha,
If you are anything like me,you are a good judge of character and you just get a feeling,you said yourself that you didn't get the greatest of vibes.
I know you probably need the money but if you do go with it you have to deal with her nearly every day.Can you do that?

berkschick
02-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Well its up to you as it is your business but I charge full fees if he child is ill and doesnt attend as the place is here for them. At the end of the day I have bills to pay too!

If you sign contracts, make sure you get paid in advance :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I've moved you to 'fees'... but just wanted to say if you are in any doubt or think you won't get paid, then say no... you don't want to get so far down the road and find out there's a problem.

Like Berks says... advance is probably the best idea!

Good luck with your decision! :D

Blaze
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I would go with your gut instict personally, but if you decide to go ahead then...
I would at least....
1) Put in the contract that full fees are required for three days & a retainer (50%) for the other 2 days.
2) Full payment for illness of children ...written in the contract..(this is pretty standard)!
3) Again in the contract...Deposit of 2 weeks fees refundable from last invoice if 4 weeks notice given, unless used for outstanding fees.
4) Payment in advance...yet again in the contract!

Let us know what you do!:)

caza
02-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I know I'm not yet registered so cant really appreciate what you're going through but I just wanted to say trust your instincts and do what you feel is the right decision for you. At the end of the day thats the most important thing. Good luck with what you decide.

Caroline

mum2three
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with everyone else. You could also consider putting a four week trial in place if your not sure, i do this and either party can terminate the contract immediatly (within the four week period) if it's not working out.
Good luck
:)

Natasha
02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you guys so much for speedy response. I will keep you posted as to what happens. Not so sure I am going to accept her though. She is just too indecisive about her money situations.

thanks again
:laughing:

Banana
02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Remember that she could probably claim 80% of the childcare cost through tax credits,

but if you are in doubt then dont do it, or make sure you get payments in advance.

let us know how it pans out

xx

wendywu
02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
She sounds doubtful for a long term contract. For 3 hours a day i would not touch it. It means you cannot go out for the whole day in the summer holidays.:panic:

jaja
02-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Do what feels right for you, xx good luck xxxxx

Natasha
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Just a quick update to let you know that she did not call back to confirm anything and she took the contract without signing it. I am thinking that she will not show. Her start date would have been 6th May,2008. I am hoping that she does not call at the last minute and say that she is bringing them over. But lets see what happens.

Natasha
06-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Lady in question called me today to say that I agreed to take care of her children for this week only. She then changed it to me taking care of her kids for today only and she will pay for today.

I told her no contract or down payment, no deal. So sadly to say I declined her and her business for the future.

But hey just got another interview set up for tomorrow.

thanks guys for helping me to make the right decision. Could not have done it without your opinions.:clapping:

Pudding Girl
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
silly Q but you mentioned she took away a contract? did it have your reg number on and signature?

Blaze
06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
I was gonna ask the same thing!

Pipsqueak
06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Natasha - your contract shouldn't leave your premises until it is signed and even them they only take a copy.

Hindsight is a good thing.

Sounds like you have had a lucky escape

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Hope your next parent is better let us know how it goes

Angel xx

mum22
07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Glad to hear you have another interview lined up - let us know how it went.

x helen

susi513
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Personally I would never sign a contract myself unless I had time to read through it on my own and so I always give the parent the contract to take away and bring back. But I don't sign it first any more! Now I don't sign it til they bring it back so I'm not held to its terms unless they've returned it to me.

If you don't want to let the contract leave the premises I suggest giving parents a blank sample copy when they first visit so they can read it through in their own time and come back with any questions. Also, unless its a single parent, always get both parents signature on the contract.

When they first come for interview I give them an application form, which they return with a months deposit if they want to apply for a long-term place. Then if a place is still available I get them round to do the permission forms together, arrange settling in and I give them the contract to take away (plus the permissions like child protection that BOTH parents sign). If its a short term/ad-hoc booking they don't pay a deposit but a small registration fee of £20. And payment in advance for each booking - booking is not confirmed until the payment received.

With child's sickness, I would always charge full fees unless I have been able to use their place for another child. eg providing cover for another childminder. Which isn't very likely.

charleyfarley
09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Good luck for the other visit, fingers crossed for you

Carol xx