PDA

View Full Version : Fees and food ....

time_4_change
29-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi

I am setting up as a childminder and was wondering if i should just stick to hourly rates or offer the 'full time' a fixed day rate which would mean a slight discount for using a full time place? also I am wondering whether it is better to inc meals within the cost or offer this as a extra cost per hour.

Many thanks
Leanne
:)

Roseolivia
30-06-2011, 05:57 AM
I have hourly mainly for schoolies but have a full day rate as well. My meals are included in my price.

miffy
30-06-2011, 07:08 AM
I charge a fixed price for the day which includes lunch and tea.

Then an hourly rate for the before/after school children - they pay extra for tea.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
30-06-2011, 08:21 AM
i charge an hourly rate as lots of my parents don't work 9 or 10 hour days (or don't need those childcare hours). Therefore, I prefer to charge by the hour.

Also I prefer to finish at 5pm rather than 6pm and I feel if I had a day rate and times then I would probably always have parents pick up later.

I also charge a higher hourly rate for less than 20 hours per week and will not do less than a 4 hour day.:thumbsup:

Penny1959
30-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I have an hourly, a daily and a weekly rate - the hourly has a mim number of hours. Because I prefer full days / weeks those rates offer good value to encourage parents to use them.

When deciding on fees you need to consider how soon you need to be earning max income - if better to have all places filled at lower rate or charge higher rate but have some hours / days not filled - so therefore also need to consider demand in your area.

Same goes for meals - do you need to provide value and do meals or can parents afford to pay extra.

if you are interested take a look at my website www.********************* - but remember prices may be higher or lower in my area compared to yours

Penny :)

Chatterbox Childcare
30-06-2011, 12:07 PM
I charge a session rate and then when I sit down and discuss fees with parents I give them the option of a fixed price meal. If they want it I calculate the cost and add it onto my monthly fee which then is an "all inclusive" cost

time_4_change
30-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Thank you so much everyone, this gives me a good starting point.

:)

appleblossom
30-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I used to have a rate which included all meals. (Hourly rate only).

However I have recently started including only lunch, snacks and drinks.

The reason for this is that my rates tend to be a lot lower than other minders in the area. This is because they are mostly fairly new to CM so charge up to date rates. I've been minding 20 years and haven't increased my rates regularly. I have some children who eat loads and its costing so much to put 3 meals plus snacks on the table every day. I also feel it would be unfair to increase everyone's rates to cover the increase in the cost of food as some children have three meals with me and some have only lunch.

So now I charge extra for breakfast and evening meal. It works better for me and the parents. It feels better when they are paying for their time off as well, as I deduct the extra meal costs when they are not here.

PixiePetal
30-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I charge an hourly rate including food.

Used to charge meals separately but prefer it this way as it is easy to work out fees and i don't have to refund if they don't come :thumbsup:

appleblossom
01-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I charge an hourly rate including food.

Used to charge meals separately but prefer it this way as it is easy to work out fees and i don't have to refund if they don't come :thumbsup:

I don't refund if they have already paid and then don't come due to sickness or other reason without notice. All holidays I have notice of so I deduct it from the invoice in advance. (All current parents pay on the 1st of the month in advance).