PDA

View Full Version : Childminders dog scratches child.

Cookie1983
29-06-2011, 09:48 PM
My 2 yr old daughter came home from childminder with scratches all over her back from her jack Russell!
I have only been sending my children they a couple of weeks.
So far I have been very happy. Now not so sure!

What are the rules with dogs and childminders?

Worried the dog will do worse next time.

lma
30-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure on the whole in's and out's regarding childminders with dogs as I don't have a dog so have never really looked into it but I can totally understand why your worried.

Maybe having a little chat with your childminder (if you feel comfortable doing so) is the way to go.

We all know that children can be very touchy feely with our pets and maybe this dog just go over excited whilst playing and yes accidents can happen but like yourself I don't think I would be too happy if my child came home covered in scratches.

All I can suggest is a suggesting a chat and tell your childminder your concerns about possible future incidents and see what happens from there.

You have said that you thought your children were happy there this could have been a one off incident and those do happen to the best of us. Shes probably just as upset about the whole incident as you are...i know I would be

Pixie dust
30-06-2011, 07:28 AM
I have a dog but I keep her away from the children in the utility room with a stairgate across and in the garden she has her own area. It is for her and the children's safety as sometimes children can get a carried away I don't think she would ever hurt a child but I will not take the risk.

As far as I am away there are no rules it is up to each childminder but they should have a risk assessment in place.

Pipsqueak
30-06-2011, 07:34 AM
The 'rules' about dogs are not in black and white. Its is about risk assessment and the individual setting. It is about teaching the children to respect another living creature and its home/habitat and its about ensuring your dog/pet cannot injure a child/visitor to your home.

as a minder with dogs - my dogs are a) not left alone with children ever (and vice versa) b) my dogs are kept under control at all times - not just when i am minding c) my dogs are taught manners d) mindees are taught my dogs deserve respect

I suggest you speak urgently to your childminder and try to resolve the situation. Stress that you have been happy with care so far but this concerns you. This could have just been a happy dog jumping up but even so this is not on. A - one - scratch could be excused perhaps but several scratches - no no no.
This needs to be written up by the minder and re-risk assessed.
Based on what the minder is telling you/reacting then you need to base your decision on this.

jumpinjen
30-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Have you discussed it with the childminder? Did she tell you about it/show you when you collected your daughter? I would have expected that it was written up as an incident/accident and that the CM had then assessed it and decided on steps to prevent it happening again. I have a bouncy little dog that mixes with the children and I always watch her carefully when she does to make sure that play is safe and appropriate and no fingers are caught between dog teeth and tennis ball for instance and that my dog doesn;t jump up at the children. I wouldn't be happy either..... my daughter was once scratched by her minders cat...... I asked her to keep the cat away from my daughter from then on (my daughter was ten months old at the time)..... she didn;t and was scratched again and my daughter still has the scar!

I suggest you discuss it with your minder, say how unhappy you are, ask for an explanantion and ask that the dog is kept away from your daughter whilst she is there and take it from there..... accidents can happen but if you don't feel satisfied that it won't happen again then perhaps you need to consider your options.

Jen x

QualityCare
30-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I am a child-minder also with a dog and agree with what Pipsqueak has said and also do as she does.
Did your child-minder fill in an incident report and have you a copy of this?
Speak with the child-minder and ask that the dog be kept away from the children except at short supervised times.

FussyElmo
30-06-2011, 08:16 AM
When I first had my dog she was a very boisterious puppy (labrador cross) one day mindee 18 months at the time leant down and put her face down to the dog who proceeded to jump up and scratch her face.

I felt awful but mum said these things happen. I also told her the measures that were being put in place to stop it happening again. However 2 and 1/2 years no child has been scratched by the dog since. I taught the children respect for the dog and she is firmly supervised and knows not to jump at children.

What did she say at the time? How old is the dog? What were they doing when it happened?

Roseolivia
30-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree with Pip. Mindees are always encouraged to take care of my dog and she's never left alone with them (leave her with my own children though). My dog is great with kids, she never jumps at them but she does jump at the parents so when they come i lock her up.

danielly124
30-06-2011, 11:22 AM
i have a little jack russell to who is very friendly and good with children,but under no circumstances wil the children and him be left alone you just cant take the risk.i would definitly talk to the childminder and as whats happened
good luck
hope your lil one is ok xxx:)

TheBTeam
30-06-2011, 11:53 AM
My 2 yr old daughter came home from childminder with scratches all over her back from her jack Russell!
I have only been sending my children they a couple of weeks.
So far I have been very happy. Now not so sure!

What are the rules with dogs and childminders?

Worried the dog will do worse next time.

I would be worried that the childminder has not mentioned this too you, because for scratches all over her back to be made through clothing either the dog was on top of her/had her pushed up something, because realistically a dog jumping up at a child through clothing would need to be pretty forceful and the child would have at least fallen to the ground, so the childminder should be aware at least, because i cant see how repeated scratches on a back would be the main outcome of a dog jumping at a child, they are normally sat over or would have more marks on legs etc.

I have two springer spaniel puppies and i childmind, although my dogs dont jump at children, even as small puppies with us, we were never in a position to have been marked by repeated scratches and certainly it would not have been possible for it to have happened to a mindee and my dogs are around the children and always have been, unless mindees are eating then we keep dogs away etc.

I would be more concerned that she never mentioned it, are you sure it was the dog and not another child also, cos often they do more damage.