PDA

View Full Version : A bit concerned about about mindies weight

caz3007
29-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a mindie who was 2 in April and he is very thin and doesnt weight a lot. Neglect isnt the issue as he doesnt eat very well. How would you approach it with mum about the fact you are a tad concerned. He had been on holiday for a week and I noticed it more so when he came back, he is lighter than my other LO who is a year younger and she is nicely rounded but not overweight.

Mouse
29-06-2011, 06:53 PM
How is he height-wise and energy-wise?

When my son was 2 he was very skinny and was referred to the hospital. The consultant wasn't at all concerned. He said that as DS was tall and full of energy there wasn't a problem. They did a blood test anyway to make sure he wasn't anaemic, but he wasn't. He had a terrible diet at the time (actually he still does), but he's now a strapping 6ft, 18yr old. Still on the thin side, but perfectly healthy.

Do you think you could ask mum if she has any concerns. I guess her lo will have been weighed by the HV at any check ups, so it might already have been discussed.

love381
29-06-2011, 07:16 PM
My concerns would only be if he was underweight and not energetic (as has already been said). My nephew is the thinnest child I have EVER seen and he has been nearly all his life. The Dr has been keeping an eye on his height/weight etc, but is not overly concerned as he's energetic and still eats something. Not sure where I read this info (as it was 5 years ago, when my nephew was 2 and the HV was concerned about his skinniness), but toddlers of 2 or 3 years only need two tablespoons of food to survive each day. Baffled me, but when I read it and where I read it it was explained a lot more and made a lot more sense. I wouldn't be too concerned if he's happy and healthy and energetic otherwise. x

bec123
29-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Does he drink plenty/wee lots? Diabetes springs to mind! I've got type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed when I was 8. I lost an awful lot of weight - my mum could see and count my ribs and was drinking and weeing lots! Also had a smell of peardrops on my breath. Just a suggestion.

The Juggler
29-06-2011, 09:12 PM
my dd is off the scale and underweight - always has been and is now 9. However, she has loads of energy, eats loads and REALLY well and has good muscle tone.

The advice I read for her was not to give lots of high calorie, sugary snacks to top her up but to increase her carbs intake so I'm always on hand now with non-fruit snacks between meals and piling them on her plate for meals.:blush:

At 2 though, probably ensuring he still has plenty of full- fat milk plus regular, healthy carb laden snacks would help.

francinejayne
29-06-2011, 10:19 PM
My DS is 3, and has always been just under the charts that the health visitors use, making him underweight. He is also quite tall for his age.

(today he was wearing shorts for age 9-12 months and they fit him on the waist really well! buying trousers to fit is a nightmare!)

His dad has the same build.

He eats really well, today's menu consisted of; porridge for breakfast, toast mid morning, tuna sandwich on granary bread for lunch followed by yoghurt and fruit, mid afternoon snack of home made lemon muffin, fish, potatoes and peas for tea followed by ice cream and strawberries, milk and a toasted hot cross bun for supper!

I have a mindee age 12 months and I reckon they weigh about the same!

Neither myself nor any health professionals are concerned about his weight, it is just the way he is. Could this be the case for your mindee? What sort of diet does he have? Could you work on introducing new foods - mine all love pasta and would eat it every day if I let them, maybe that would be a good start?

loocyloo
29-06-2011, 10:33 PM
my DS is 9 and a skinny shrimp! he is also quite little, although he has had a growth spurt lately both up & out and doesn't look soooo skinny. he can stand on the side of the swimming pool and i can count his ribs!

he has loads of carbs and full fat milk/yogurt etc and is full of energy and doesn't need a huge amount of sleep :rolleyes:

he had an unspecified virus a couple of years ago and lost ALOT of weight. we took him to the dr, who sent him for lots of tests...diabetes was looking to be the best outcome, but in the end they said he'd had the virus probably at least 6 mths before and his body was recuperating from fighting it and was using up its reserves! it took a good 18mths before he managed to get back to weight he was originally.

caz3007
30-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your advice. He has been with me for over a year, only one day a week, but he has always been very slight. I think he may still have bottles of milk, there is often a bottle in his bag, dont agree with a child that age having a bottle, but he doesnt have it here. His mum supplies his food and he comes with a sandwich, banana and yoghurt and I often give him extra yoghurts as he asks for them and feel they will help him.

He is full of energy, and doesnt sit still unless its for his nap. So perhaps I am just worrying about nothing. I cant remember when they have their next check here, but it I think its around 3, so he should be having another soon.

love381
30-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Perhaps it's just worth noting it all down, incase it comes to something as he grows older. The fact that he's full of energy and does actually eat some things is obviously good. I hope some of the comments on here have started to put your mind at rest a bit. x

caz3007
30-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Perhaps it's just worth noting it all down, incase it comes to something as he grows older. The fact that he's full of energy and does actually eat some things is obviously good. I hope some of the comments on here have started to put your mind at rest a bit. x

Thank you, they have. I have also remembered seeing my own Ds aged about 10 on an old video and how skinny he was at that age. He is now 19 and just about right in my eyes, so I am sure this LO will fill out a bit later and mum and older sister are quite small boned and thin too.