PDA

View Full Version : 18mo holding breath & passing out

acorns
29-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I've had a new mum come to see me today, to start next week. Lo 18mo has breath holding spells triggered by tiredness or upset. She passes out. Mum has told me to blow into her face & take her outside. I'm now scared:eek: I've heard this is common but have never dealt with it before. How should I write this up? should I just do a sheet with all the info on to go in child's folder and then an incident report when/if it happens & risk asses it? anything else?is blowing into her face the right thing to do? What if i can't go outside as I would be leaving other mindee?

sarah sunflower
29-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi

My daughter who is 21 months does the same if she hurts herself, it is scary, the first time she did it at about 12 months I rushed her to hospital but they said the best thing to do is blow on her face or get her in fresh air if you can and talk to her to reassure her that she's ok.

Not sure on paperwork side of things but I'd make sure you tell parents when they've done it and why/ how long it lasted and maybe write it down somewhere for mum to sign like a incident form prehaps??

Just remember to stay calm when it happens as my mam flaps around when my daughter does it when she's around.

Hope that helps a little I'm sure someone will know better about paperwork :)
X

Helen79
29-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I've looked after children who have done this, usually when they've hurt themselves. Blowing in the face or mouth triggers them to start breathing again. Instead of going outside, would sitting with her next to a fan work instead to cool her down and get the feeling of fresh air, then you don't have to leave the other children.

acorns
29-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I've looked after children who have done this, usually when they've hurt themselves. Blowing in the face or mouth triggers them to start breathing again. Instead of going outside, would sitting with her next to a fan work instead to cool her down and get the feeling of fresh air, then you don't have to leave the other children.

thanks, excellent idea, we have a fan in the loft.

SimplyLucy
29-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Look up reflex anoxic seizures.

My dd suffered with this until she was about 7 years old. Frightened the life out of me the first tine she did it at 6 months old when another child trod on her fingers at toddlers!

bec123
29-06-2011, 07:25 PM
My sister used to do this when she was little - but it was out of temper! I recall my mum slapping her and she would then catch her breath . Obviously you can't do that but it is common for children to do it. I would reiterate the stay calm bit - easier said than done x (I had a mindee choke on a bit of apple today - I could feel myself starting to flap but she coughed it up and everything was ok)

love381
29-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Opening a window and standing near it can help with the fresh air. I've got a LO who does it and it can sometimes take a few times of blowing into her mouth/on her face to get her going again - it is VERY scary, but manageable as long as you can stay calm. x

xgemx
29-06-2011, 07:32 PM
My son does this he is coming up for 3 and has done it since he was about a year old, i do blow on his face and it helps but try not to panic i know easier said than done and im quite used to it now with him, just in case the parent hasnt told you or your not aware their lips can start to go a purply colour and he loses colour in his face at times but also just remember that if it gets to the point they pass out it restarts their breathing (i know not ideal and frightening but it will be ok) My son does it when upset about something and noticed if i dont panic or freak out he comes out of it quicker

Mookins
29-06-2011, 09:33 PM
:eek:
ive never ever heard of this before...how frightening, but at the same time thankyou for asking about it, seems to be quite common, lots of fab advice given

xxx

Allie
29-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Most children grow out of it fairly quickly, thank goodness. I used to write it up in the accident book under incident heading and get mum or dad to sign, I also kept mums instructions on what to do in the child's records folder along with contract etc so ofsted could see it and I could refer to it.

Mine was before risk assessments so not sure if you would have to do one for this?

Allie

acorns
29-06-2011, 10:27 PM
thanks Lots of fantastic advice, keep it coming:D

QualityCare
30-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Had a child who did this and Dr said once the child passes out they are no longer in control so the brain immediately takes over and they breathe again normally.

Pipsqueak
30-06-2011, 12:37 PM
just what I wsa going to post QualityCare. the brain takes over the bodily functions and re kickstarts.

it is frightening but stay calm - the body will do the rest!