PDA

View Full Version : Cheesed Off

phoebe-alice
29-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry just had to vent, before my poor partner gets it all. I have a contract with the social services to look after a little boy and have had a bit of trouble with getting paid.
I have worked for them before but never had any trouble like this, at one point they were 9 invoices behind and they just don't contact me no matter how many times I phone in and they just come back to me with oh we'll email so and so and they will get back to you but never have.
I wouldn't mind if they would at least return my calls and keep me up to date as at one point some of the invoices were missing and I still don't know if they have found them considering they are 5 behind.
I know it can take a while but its driving me up the wall the lack of contact, don't know what more I can do as have already phoned 3 times this week. :panic:
Has anyone else had problems like this, if so how can I go about sorting it as it seems to be a one sided relationship at the present? Any advise would be much appreciated.
Sorry for the rant everyone.

Mouse
29-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I would phone again and tell them you want to speak to the person in charge. Find out their name & keep phoning them until you get a response. When they tell you to email, or say that someone will get back in touch with you, say no, you want to speak to them now.
Then threaten the refuse childcare until all payments are made up to date. That often forces them into action.

the happy house
29-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Have you got all dates/times of calls noted?
If so... put it all inwriting showing how many attempts have been made to contact them and why.
Make it clear that payment is expected by (whatever date) and that if payment is not received and up-to-date you will terminate contract immediately and no further care will be provided.
If you still have no response contact your insurers and withdraw care.

Best of luck x

rickysmiths
29-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Have you got all dates/times of calls noted?
If so... put it all inwriting showing how many attempts have been made to contact them and why.
Make it clear that payment is expected by (whatever date) and that if payment is not received and up-to-date you will terminate contract immediately and no further care will be provided.
If you still have no response contact your insurers and withdraw care.

Best of luck x

I agree. Non payment is one thing but ignoring it is out of order.

The Juggler
29-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I would phone again and tell them you want to speak to the person in charge. Find out their name & keep phoning them until you get a response. When they tell you to email, or say that someone will get back in touch with you, say no, you want to speak to them now.
Then threaten the refuse childcare until all payments are made up to date. That often forces them into action.

I agree!

Bushpig
29-06-2011, 01:43 PM
This is why I will never take on social service children or people on tax credits. I've heard too many payment horror stories.

I would give them an ultimatum too. On the phone, followed by a recorded letter, of monies owed etc.

suzyblue
29-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I had this with Social Services and wont do any work for them again. I used to phone the person dealing with the arrangement and his secretary would say yes whos calling, and and soon as I would say my name she would make excuses eg. he was out of the office, in a meeting etc and he would never call back.

Its very frustrating!!!:angry:

Bananabrain
29-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a childminder friend that waited months for SS to pay invoices.
I think it is outrageous that childminders are treated like this!
This friend is the most loving childminder I know, she even bought the child clothes out of her own pocket.
I think someone from SS should come on here and tell us what they think they are playing at!!!!!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
29-06-2011, 05:18 PM
My friend had terrible trouble with SS paying as well she did get paid in the end but it took a while, in the end she threaten them with no childcare and that seemed to work.

Good luck and hope they pay you soon.

phoebe-alice
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
I still can't get through... :angry: To get through to the department I want you need to get through the city department who just hand me off and say they will email them even if I say I want to speak to them direct and I never hear back. So I can't even threaten them with no care as I can't speak to anyone.

Not sure what to do any more, just had an enquiry for a full time baby just down my street and I'm so sad I can't as I'm stuck in this situation. :(

Cheesed off isn't the half of it.

Thank you for all your replies though if I ever get to talk to them I will give them a piece of my mind.

lma
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
You need to start thinking about yourself and your family and I would tell whoever you get through to (whether its the right department or not) that you are giving notice on terminating childcare due to being messed around with payments, no contact despite you numerous attepts to call and that you have found someone to fill this childs space.

If this were a parent notice would have been handed long ago and just because it SS they expect things dont their way:panic: How much do you want to bet that your message will get put through to the right department sharpish and you either get paid or get a phonecall???

Goatgirl
01-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi :),
I agree with Ima.

I'd call the mum down the road and arrange a meeting for new baby asap. say you are expecting a place to come free soon.

Phone whoever you can get through to and ask them to put the info that you will be forced to issue termination of contract if you are not contacted today and payment recieved by Monday. Say you have an interview with a family to replace the current mindee.

If you hear nothing, and the new Mum wants the place, issue notice to SS by letter and take on the new child. Its valuable work that you do for the SS and current mindee, but ss are not treating you well. You're a business not a charity, you don't need the unnecessary stress of not knowing when fees will be paid and you do have bills you need to pay. They're behaving disgracefully!

Stand up for yourself :). Good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

phoebe-alice
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi :),
I agree with Ima.

I'd call the mum down the road and arrange a meeting for new baby asap. say you are expecting a place to come free soon.

Phone whoever you can get through to and ask them to put the info that you will be forced to issue termination of contract if you are not contacted today and payment recieved by Monday. Say you have an interview with a family to replace the current mindee.

If you hear nothing, and the new Mum wants the place, issue notice to SS by letter and take on the new child. Its valuable work that you do for the SS and current mindee, but ss are not treating you well. You're a business not a charity, you don't need the unnecessary stress of not knowing when fees will be paid and you do have bills you need to pay. They're behaving disgracefully!

Stand up for yourself :). Good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Thank you for your advice I think that is exactly what I am going to have to do, it is a lovely child and family but I can't deal with all the dust it kicks up regarding contact and payment.

If I was to write a letter of termination I have no idea how to word it, I would also want to include the question of whether she has all 5 invoices they are behind and how much notice I would have to give.

I'm feeling really bad about it but it is totally ridiculous how things are run. If anyone could help me word what to say that would be brilliant as my brain is just not keeping up today! Must be the stress haha! :panic:

Pipsqueak
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
SS tried to mess me around with slow and non payment. I went straight for the jugular and told them in no uncertain terms - no payment = no childcare and seeing as they were responsible for payment I would by pursuing what i was owed through legal means if necessary.
I went to the offices, I wrote a letter backing it up and I told the named social worker.

Funnily enough they paid fairly promptly

the happy house
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think you'd have to give any notice at all hun.... ss have broken the terms of the contract themselves by not paying you.
I think a letter sent by recorded delivery to ss telling them care is being withheld with immediate effect is in order. You're not going to get to speak to anyone... they're avoiding you and will carry on avoiding you.
But you have more power than you realise.... you can control this. Withdraw care and make it clear that care will not continue until all payments have been made and further payments must be in advance. If they don't like it that's their problem and you take on other children.

Ripeberry
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Who drops off and collects the child? Can you not talk to them? Just do what Tracey suggested and hopefuly take on that new baby instread :)
Social services are a disgrace.
They are supposed to be helping unfortunate famillies, but by behaving like this and not paying up they are making childcare professionals steer clear of helping families in greatest need.
If the contract is with SS, then no notice period is needed as it's not the parents it's a government department.

Don't let them bully you :mad:

Mummits
01-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Do you have a childcare development officer (by whatever title) working for the council in your area? If so, a call to him/her might do the trick. I had some moans about SS not communicating with me (not about pay but about whether a placement was or wasn't going ahead - but similarly being given the run around when I tried to get information) and I had a word with my DO and basically said they get their act together or forget it and she got onto them. I don't think SS live in the real world where you need to know what you are supposed to be doing from day to day, or in your case need your money on time. :(
But if you do go ahead and terminate (either with notice or immediately citing their breach of contract), I would list all the outstanding amounts and say I required immediate settlement, leaving them to come back to you for duplicate invoices if they cannot find them.

loocyloo
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
i have a child due to start with me in a few weeks and i have already told the officer i spoke to, that i must have payment in advance, or care can not be given!

...we'll see!