PDA

View Full Version : Handwashing

handeme
29-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I dont have the luxury of a downstairs toilet and i wondered what you all did in a similar situation?

I currently mind a 14month old and my own two 4 and 15 months.

c x

JCrakers
29-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Would a bowl of water and some handwash work so they could all wash their hands before eating etc without having to go upstairs or would the water have to be changed for each child??

I am lucky enough to have a downstairs loo so can imagine that a quick handwash before lunch can take longer than needed if everyone has to go upstairs

Becky

handeme
29-06-2011, 09:07 AM
They currently each have there own towel (flannel) and I hold them up to the sink (i have one of those 1.5 sinks) and I wash there hands for them in the small sink section.

Might go with the bowl of water all though I could see it being a messy job - lots of splashing!!

ziggy
29-06-2011, 11:01 AM
i dont have downstairs toilet, so wish i did lol

I use bowl of water but just put small amount in and stand behind children as they wash hands

sarah707
29-06-2011, 06:01 PM
For the younger children I use a bowl and hand soap and single use towels or tissues.

I re-fill the bowl so the water is fresh for each child.

Hth :D

love381
29-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I didn't have a downstairs toilet when I first registered and the OFSTED lady who did my pre-reg asked what I was going to do - I said probably a bowl of water or a step to reach the kitchen sink and she suggested using wet wipes. A little baffled, I said will that be ok germ wise etc and she said it's actually better in her eyes as it means I don't have to have numerous towels and flannels for each child. She also said that it means that if one child accidently uses another childs flannel/towel then I wouldn't have to re-wash them in the machine etc. I decided I'd give the wipes a go and it's great, no extra washing and children can wash their hands anywhere we are in the house/out etc without the need to wander to the toilet (I always find my children make mucky handprints on the wall/door/bannister on their way!!) My OFSTED lady who inspected me last said she'd come across the wipes being used quite a few times and thinks it's brilliant as they can be anywhere and as and when needed. x

PixiePetal
29-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a downstairs loo - such a treat as our last house didn't :)

I also have an outside loo, but no basin there, so use bowl of water (I take a large plastic bottle of water out with us to the garden) and kitchen roll to dry there as Sarah said :thumbsup: better than traipsing them all indoors

QualityCare
30-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't have downstairs loo and use wipes for after food and antibacterial gel for before food or if a child has used the pot downstairs.

Louise317
30-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't have down stairs toilet... I hold little ones up to kitchen sink and antibacterial soap and a soft brush if been outside for finger nails or wipes.

I have a little stool for older ones to use kitchen sink also.

mummyjo
30-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I just use antibacterial gel of faom before eating and wipes after.

Not had any comment from Ofsted about this so assuming it is ok.

grindal
30-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Reassuring post. I was only minding a very little one when I had my inspection 2 years ago, and was just wiping his hands with a wipe. Now with 2 x 2 year olds and my own nearly 4 year old I only use hand gel - and was wondering if i needed to start using a bowl of water.

vix84
30-06-2011, 06:44 PM
In my old house we had a downstairs toilet so no problem, but our new one hasn't got one so I said to Ofsted I would wash their hands in the sink in the kithen and she didnt really want me to, so I asked why and she said because thats where meat, veg and dishes get washed so I said Id detox in between as I didnt want to keep taking them upstairs as we had no banister down one side of the stairs so there was a metre with a drop and we couldnt get a banister fitted right away.
Im now thinking of getting some small individual bowls to keep under the sink for each child and keeping paper towels hung up in a peg bag (pinched that idea from pre-school)