PDA

View Full Version : assistant for 10 weeks?

sophiestars
28-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi in my excitement this morning at filling a space that one of my mindees is leaving this September I have managed to book in 2 under ones.
I have asked my Mum if she would help me out just for the 10 weeks until one of the babies turns one (and it's only on a Wednesday that I would have the 2 babies) so was wondering what I need to do. (Will also have a 2 year old)
I have looked at the Ofsted guidlines for having assistants and as far as I can see I need to let them know in writing and get a CRB done, but I don't think she needs first aid as she would not be on her own with the children ever, it's literally just from 9-2.30 on Wednesdays for 10 weeks because I can't have 2 under one. I don't want to increase my numbers or leave her with them at all it's just because of their ages.
Do you think Ofsted will agree?

juelmer
09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi,

I'm going through the same situation at the moment.

I have 2 under 1's for 2 months only on a Monday. I completed the variation form and Ofsted came out yesterday for a visit. She checked that I have enough high chairs and travel cots then went through my routine for the day. She also asked what I would do in the event of a fire as I will need to carry both the babies out the house so my hands will be full as I also have a 16 month old! She asked what measures I have taken to keep the babies safe and how I would transport the babies and take them for a walk.

She agreed to the variation and I also mentioned that I am going to take on an assistant 1 month after the 2 under 1's have started. She seemed happy with this and just advised me to complete the form ASAP as the CRB as we all know can take a long time. They don't need the first aid but my assistant is going on to be registered and then we will co-mind. So if you would like your assistant to do a school run or for the children to be left with the assistant in an emergency it may be worthwhile getting the first aid.

Hope this helps, I would if possible get the variation and hire an assistant, then you have everything covered (like your assistant being on holiday/sick).

sarah707
09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Like juelmer says you must first have written permission from Ofsted which often involves them arranging to come out and see how you will cope with 2 young children.

You will also need to complete and submit a variation form which might take a good few weeks or longer to go through the system.

It is highly likely that your assistant will also need a new CRB which can take a few months to organise.

Once everything from Ofsted is in place you will need written permission from the child's parents for your assistant to work with their child.

Be careful about agreeing anything with the parents until you have gone through the permission process and have everything ready to go.

I hope it works out for you! :D